Three Cheers for UConn

Posted by: bcSUPERFAN91 on Wed Sep 30th, 2009 1:57 am
cheering at games = not a sport.cheering at competitions = sport. stunts/tumbling (aka throwing a mass through the air) are required for competitive routines.
Posted by: SeaDogsFan on Wed Sep 30th, 2009 9:10 am
"stunts/tumbling (aka throwing a mass through the air) are required for competitive routines."Sure, if you want to impress the judges. It's still not a requirement. Unless the rules actually say you must toss someone up in the air and catch them to be a legal routine
Posted by: blackjackeraro on Wed Sep 30th, 2009 2:23 pm
cheering at games = not a sport.
cheering at competitions = sport.
stunts/tumbling (aka throwing a mass through the air) are required for competitive routines.
Sea Dogs reply :
Sure, if you want to impress the judges. It's still not a requirement. Unless the rules actually say you must toss someone up in the air and catch them to be a legal routineSure, if you want to impress the judges. It's still not a requirement. Unless the rules actually say you must toss someone up in the air and catch them to be a legal routine
A bit over the top now SD.....In cheering competitions there are certain requirements....If you do not perform them you do not score as high......Hence you lose....ps "Kick the Can" > "Red Rover"
Posted by: SeaDogsFan on Thu Oct 1st, 2009 5:37 pm
"If you do not perform them you do not score as high......Hence you lose...."*shrug* Being 100% advantageous to you isn't the same as it being a requirement. Again, that is unless there is actually a rule that says you HAVE to, absolutely HAVE to incorporate these into your routines.And if so, then great. But I already agreed it's a sport, and that red rover is better. Kick the can should be discussed in another thread. :)
Posted by: Archer Bunker on Thu Oct 1st, 2009 11:38 pm
No one will ever convince me that cheering is a sport.ABArchibald Bunker
Posted by: heatherelizabethcullen on Fri Oct 9th, 2009 12:09 pm
This a hard for cheerleaders like me who work hard competing all through high school and practice non-stop to even have a chance to make university cheerleading. I was going to apply to Uconn this year until I was told at a college fair that their competition squad was now a "spirit squad". I believe that they should have both... it's not fair to make such a drastic change and all the hard work spent on stunting and tumbling has gone down the drain for the students who are still in college and had hopes to continue competing.
Posted by: SeaDogsFan on Sun Nov 8th, 2009 5:08 am
A scathing rebuttal nearly 30 days in the making...I can't say it lived up to the hype.
Posted by: Patrick1 on Wed Nov 10th, 2010 10:43 pm
Seadogsfan: I laughed until tears game to my eyes when I read you and Archie's script. Really, you two guys have missed your calling. :lol:
Posted by: Archer Bunker on Wed Apr 2nd, 2014 10:48 pm
A good time to bump this thread back to the top.AB