Minor Injuries /Major Problem

on Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 11:40 am
My son plays Freshman and JV football, last night when i got home, he said(pointing toward his chin)...."do you think this needs stitches?". It was a short gash on the chin, right where the chin bone pushes on the skin. It was about and inch long and 3/8 inch wide. To make a long story short, the gash was sqeezed closed and the doctor applied an epoxy glue to it to keep it closed and then put steri strips on to help hold it. Point here is that its a minor injurie that wil keep him out the rest of the week and miss all practices and a Freshman game as the helmet can not be worn as the chin strap will reopen the wound. He can not even work up a heavy sweat as that could cause the glue to lose its adhesion. If he had the same cut almost anywhere else, he'd probably be playing this week, as it is now Monday's JV game is questionable at best , leaving the team to shift another linemen into the nose tackle position. If you don't want this kind of misfortune check the inside of your players chin straps for any edge(seams) that could penetrate the skin if hit by a helmet. He's not a whinny kid either, and hates to stand on sidelines and miss games. He once played an entire hockey game after breaking his tailbone on the first shift of the first period. He showed up at the first day of football practice last year with an immoblization sling on and for two weeks did walk through drills and ran ran sprints with the rest of the team.
Posted by: fafan on Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 2:38 pm
I question the treatment of the cut as this is one of the most common in football. My older son who was 6'5" had this injury a couple of times had a few stitches and was ready to go, don't ever remember him missing anytime due to the injury. I do recall a chinstrap that was more foregiving than the regular chin stap. Taller kids seem to be more prone to hits in the chin.
on Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 3:05 pm
He's been wearing the one that was more of a synthetic material, he mentioned he has a leather one in his bag that might be better. The stitches may have been the better way to go and he most likeley could have kept on playing. However, my wife being a nurse, opted for the glue as it will leave less of a scar she said, while pointing to the one on my chin.From what I understand what happened in practice, was the coach had blown the play dead, he being shorter than the center stood up, then the center stood up and accidently popped him with his helmet right under the chin. I'll chalk this one up to experience. I have to watch him as he has a high threshold of pain, he came home from hockey practice one night and said i got hit behind the knee with a puck from a slap shot. When he showed me, I said"I Guess you did". He had a black and blue the size of a softball with broken blood vessles in it.
on Thu Sep 4th, 2008 10:58 am
Under Armour looks as if they make a slip over pad and also a chin strap that is supposed to better help prevent this type of injury. $8 for the slip over and $20 for the padded strap, is way less than $50 for an ER visit.