South Portland 26, Noble 0

Posted by: Knightime on Fri Aug 29th, 2008 11:32 pm
SoPo looked quite good. Noble fumbled inside the 10 and fumbled the 2nd half kick-off. It should have been a much closer game than the scoreboard indicated.
Posted by: BBallsBestFan on Mon Sep 1st, 2008 4:56 pm
Yes, though it was a pre-season game and the Riots need some work to do, they looked very sharp and impressive the other night. Barring any injuries, this team is really looking to be one of the top teams for Western Class A. Only time will tell how all the teams shape up once the season gets going.
Posted by: riotalum on Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 9:03 am
South Portland returns their entire backfield from last year. QB David Hardison passed for 142 yards and ran for 40 on four carries in the first half. WRs Mike Foley and Spencer Bowring made some nice catches. RB's Ryan Curit and Tuan Tran ran superbly behind a much improved O line. Their defense is faster and more athletic than last year. Anyone who takes this team lightly this year is asking for trouble.
Posted by: Knightime on Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 7:40 pm
I agree - A Noble fan here, I was very impressed with SP. It is clear Coach Stinson is getting the job done. That said, the hold on a 20 yard TD scamper was a backside call. Officials are told not to throw the flag if it is away from the play and has no bearing on the play. The official told the sideline it was a pulling guard, he didn't have a number, and in actuality wasn't sure he saw what he thought he saw. It was unclear from film if there even was holding from any lineman - That would be 20-7 (JV's scored one of the TD's). If you look at the film the Noble fumble on the 6 was an easy TD if the Noble QB either, A: tucked and ran on speed option or B: Pitched. Instead he fumbled. That would be 20-14. Noble them fumbles to open the 2nd half. If they hold onto it that makes it 14-13 Noble. None of that happened so it was 20-0 SP. And I agree 100% that SP is potentially a Top 6 team this year. My only point, once Noble works some things out, so are they. AND - Noble is going to start 3 sophomores, 6 juniors, and 2 seniors.
Posted by: JHenryWaugh on Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 7:57 pm
... is potentially a Top 6 team this year. My only point, once Noble works some things out, so are they.
That is true of almost every team in the SMAA. It all happens on the field, and we shall see. In the last three years, Noble has gone from 7-1 to 5-3 to 0-8. Plus by your own calculations, they will be young this year. (Only 2 Senior starters). That's a big hill to climb. Good luck to Noble, sounds like they have their work cut out for them. I am not saying they can't do it, just that it will be very impressive when they do.
Posted by: BBallsBestFan on Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 8:23 pm
I agree J Henry. I was impressed with Noble also as they had some awesome drives. Unfortunately when it came time to score things didnt work out for them. But as you said they will be a young team this season and with good coaching they will learn from the scrimmage and will only get better as the season goes on. Im sure watching the films that they saw some things that need to be worked on. Im sure all teams top teams or not found their respective teams need lots to work on. Barring any serious injuries, this will probably be the most fun season to watch as there are lots of teams that potentially could be around for the playoffs. Im just hoping mine makes it back to the playoffs as I was impressed with what I saw from them though they need to work a few kinks out also. Coach Stinson and his Assistants will find a way to make this team jell and come around. If the other night was any indication of their season, SP will be fun to watch this year.
Posted by: Archer Bunker on Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 8:40 pm
SOPO could possibly have a .500 season this year.AB
Posted by: riotalum on Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 8:26 am
I agree that Noble will have no problem scoring points this season. I'm not sure whether South Portland is that good or the Noble defense needs some fine tuning. The Riots open at Gorham this Friday. This game will go a long way in determining their success for this year. As they face both Deering and Bonny Eagle, I don't honestly see them defeating either team. That said, I think they are better than a .500 team. I would love to see 6-2 and I think 5-3 is definitely a realistic goal. Time will tell.