and everyone laughed at `ol Cim! Surprised

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 6:26 pm
imposter wrote:

What did `ole Cim say?

Posted by: bcbc55 on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 6:44 pm
imposter wrote:

Imposter: Yes, and what did I say? At 84 I can`t remember?

Posted by: imposter on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 6:55 pm

Cim always had a lot to say about Maine basketball and I knew I`d get a rebuttal from MJ as he usually has all the answers but here you go: 

"Why didn`t Maine have a national search after they let Bob Walsh go? We can thank the former AD for that.If they had a national search and Barron, the former Maine women`s coach, was the most qualified candidate then OK, but a 5 year contract is a bit much considering this was only the 2nd time in NCAA men``s D-1 basketball the women`s basketball coach became the men`s basketball coach at the same D-1 school."

Posted by: bcbc55 on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 7:22 pm
imposter wrote:

Cim always had a lot to say about Maine basketball and I knew I`d get a rebuttal from MJ as he usually has all the answers but here you go: 

"Why didn`t Maine have a national search after they let Bob Walsh go? We can thank the former AD for that.If they had a national search and Barron, the former Maine women`s coach, was the most qualified candidate then OK, but a 5 year contract is a bit much considering this was only the 2nd time in NCAA men``s D-1 basketball the women`s basketball coach became the men`s basketball coach at the same D-1 school."

Imposter: You are right. I remember saying that. You have a great memory.

How about the following old basketball adage to describle Maine`s very dismal 3 poiint shooting %. As they are currently 23 for 116 for 19.8%.

"They couldn`t throw the ball in the ocean".... even if they were in the middle of the ocean.

The way they are shooting the 3, they just can`t seem to throw the ball into the 3 point ocean.

"If they were in a helicopter in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean they might not be able to throw the ball in the ocean for a 3 pointer because they would throw it up in the air and it would hit the helicopter`s blade and it would be ripped apart and no longer be a legal basketball".

Question: Did you hear about the Couldn`t Bear???????????????????   Couldn`t shoot 3`s.

P.S. Imposter I would give your mempory based on a scale from one thru 10 with 10 being the highest. I would give you a ratin of Nine.........................................TEEN.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 9:07 pm

I try to have patience with this program. We have 4 returning players from 2020-21 Covid shortened season. I have to keep reminding myself of this. Many of the new guys show potential, but right now it`s not working. My hope is that by January when the conference games start up, this team will be competitive. At the end of the day, it`s basketball. You have to put the ball through the hoop though. The team is not showing any signs of finding a way to generate open looks or easy baskets. This is a very structured system and set plays are called on every possession.  I would like to see some flexibility to play off script when plays break down. Maine needs to find spots to attack the hoop off the bounce and get to the line. We can`t be afraid to make mistakes or be afraid of transition opportunities.

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 9:41 pm
imposter wrote:

This is a good point!  Thanks for the refresher.

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 9:51 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

I try to have patience with this program. We have 4 returning players from 2020-21 Covid shortened season. I have to keep reminding myself of this. Many of the new guys show potential, but right now it`s not working. My hope is that by January when the conference games start up, this team will be competitive. At the end of the day, it`s basketball. You have to put the ball through the hoop though. The team is not showing any signs of finding a way to generate open looks or easy baskets. This is a very structured system and set plays are called on every possession.  I would like to see some flexibility to play off script when plays break down. Maine needs to find spots to attack the hoop off the bounce and get to the line. We can`t be afraid to make mistakes or be afraid of transition opportunities.

"We can`t be afraid to make mistakes or be afraid of transition opportunities."  

Barron has demonstrated a lack of patience and a short fuse with players in the past.  I`m not sure that Barron is the person for this job.  I`m pretty surprised that they aren`t more competitive.  I think that there is some talent on this team.....but you need to put the right guys on the court and let them do their thing.  That being said..we have to give him this season to work through it and go from there.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sat Nov 27th, 2021 10:42 pm
mainejeff wrote:

"We can`t be afraid to make mistakes or be afraid of transition opportunities."  

Barron has demonstrated a lack of patience and a short fuse with players in the past.  I`m not sure that Barron is the person for this job.  I`m pretty surprised that they aren`t more competitive.  I think that there is some talent on this team.....but you need to put the right guys on the court and let them do their thing.  That being said..we have to give him this season to work through it and go from there.

I started this post but wanted to wait until the Bradley game was over. I dont have a handle on just what the issues are. I think it`s a combination of issues that have just been accumulating over these past 10 years. 

I think I of the major issues is the foreign recruits. It`s not working.. if it was working  we would see better results in four years. It`s not working. It. May work for the women`s team but this is not women`s basketball.

If they are going to spend the money for a new arena how about increasing the salary of a new basketball coach as well. 

They need to get rid of this guy. The sooner the better. It`s not working and why allow this travesty of a hire four years ago to continue. His contract should just be bought out and let`s move on.

Time to plan for a future with a new arena and a new coach.