Game 11 : Maine @ UNH - Nov 20th 1pm

Posted by: mainejeff on Sun Nov 21st, 2021 1:54 pm

All those championships and they still can`t get North Dakota State`s name right?  North Dakota State is not North Dakota!  Good grief.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Nov 21st, 2021 2:49 pm
mainejeff wrote:

All those championships and they still can`t get North Dakota State`s name right?  North Dakota State is not North Dakota!  Good grief.

Unfortunately, the CAA got shortchanged in this playoff. Did not expect URI or William and Mary to get in after they lost yesterday but then they only take two from the CAA and yet UNI gets in with a 6 win 5 loss record. 

UNI. (6-5) at Eastern Wash. (9-2)

Go figure. I thought Maine really deserved a shot this year. Charlton did a great coaching job over the past 6 games. They go 5 wins and 1 loss over the past 6 games. 

Posted by: BearDown on Sun Nov 21st, 2021 5:07 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

Unfortunately, the CAA got shortchanged in this playoff. Did not expect URI or William and Mary to get in after they lost yesterday but then they only take two from the CAA and yet UNI gets in with a 6 win 5 loss record. 

Go figure. I thought Maine really deserved a shot this year. Charlton did a great coaching job over the past 6 games. They go 5 wins and 1 loss over the past 6 games. 

No one was shortchanged. There`s no surprises here. Rhody fell apart in the 2nd half of the season. Maine did well all things considered. W&M were very up and down. We have a lot of momentum for next year and a lot of talent returning (if the portal doesn`t catch us) -that was the best case scenario for this years team.

*We are bowl eligble now though

Posted by: MBR on Mon Nov 22nd, 2021 3:48 am

💀

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Nov 22nd, 2021 11:53 am
basketball_guy wrote:

But have you actually looked at Northern Iowa`s 6-5 record?

Here are their losses:

@ Iowa State, 16-10 (preseason top 10 FBS team from the Big XII, currently 6-5)

@ North Dakota State, 34-20 (#2 seed in FCS playoffs, currently 10-1)

vs South Dakota, 34-21 (FCS Playoff team, currently 7-4)

@ Illinois State, 17-10 in OT

@ Missouri State, 34-27 (FCS Playoff team, currently 8-3)

More importantly though, here are some of their wins:

@ Sacramento State, 34-16 (#4 seed in FCS playoffs, currently 9-2)

@ South Dakota State, 26-17 (FCS Playoff team, currently 8-3)

vs Southern Illinois, 23-16 (FCS Playoff team, currently 7-4)

The Missouri Valley Football Conference was a brutal league, from top to bottom this year. I think 7 or 8 of their programs were ranked in the Top 25 during the season. They absolutely deserved 6 bids this year. UMaine`s resume just doesn`t compare to that of Northern Iowa and it really isn`t even close.

Posted by: BearDown on Mon Nov 22nd, 2021 5:10 pm
parquetfloor wrote:

But have you actually looked at Northern Iowa`s 6-5 record?

Here are their losses:

@ Iowa State, 16-10 (preseason top 10 FBS team from the Big XII, currently 6-5)

@ North Dakota State, 34-20 (#2 seed in FCS playoffs, currently 10-1)

vs South Dakota, 34-21 (FCS Playoff team, currently 7-4)

@ Illinois State, 17-10 in OT

@ Missouri State, 34-27 (FCS Playoff team, currently 8-3)

More importantly though, here are some of their wins:

@ Sacramento State, 34-16 (#4 seed in FCS playoffs, currently 9-2)

@ South Dakota State, 26-17 (FCS Playoff team, currently 8-3)

vs Southern Illinois, 23-16 (FCS Playoff team, currently 7-4)

The Missouri Valley Football Conference was a brutal league, from top to bottom this year. I think 7 or 8 of their programs were ranked in the Top 25 during the season. They absolutely deserved 6 bids this year. UMaine`s resume just doesn`t compare to that of Northern Iowa and it really isn`t even close.

Not to mention they have a great playoff pedigree. I feel like this happened to UNH several years ago and they snuck in at 6-5 too....same kinda deal, solid losses, some big wins, had been to the playoffs 10 straight years, etc

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Nov 22nd, 2021 7:32 pm

The"pedigree" thing is BS.....but I get what you are saying.

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Nov 22nd, 2021 7:42 pm

I like that Maine is doing some strong FCS scheduling with North Dakota State and Montana State in future seasons.  It should ensure they get strong considerastion for a playoff spot if they are in thhe running.

Posted by: MBR on Wed Nov 24th, 2021 4:55 am

, won five of their last six, and picked up their first win at New Hampshire since 2001