Maine Football- Seniors Using Covid Year

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 8:57 am

The Senior Day ceremony yesterday did not include several players listed as seniors. I can only assume these players are using that extra year due to the lost fall season of 2020.

I did not catch all of the omissions, due to the terrible sound quality of the PA system (Need to use Alfond money to fix this ASAP!)

A few key players were not announced. Here`s some of the key players who we`re not announcd (someone please jump in and correct me if I`m wrong):

Tyler Royal LT (injured/DNP this fall)

Jamehl Wiley DE (injured halfway thru season)

Katley Joseph CB ( Injured/DNP this fall)

Shaquille St Lot (Injured/DNP this fall)

Adrian Otero (starting LB)

Michael Gerace (starting C)

Devin Young (starting WR)

Rich Carr (starting CB)

Fofie Bazzie (starting SS)

There were also some other back ups and key special teams guys in that mix.

If these players are able to return for a 5th, or in some cases a 6th year, Maine will have Key leadership at nearly every position group.

- Joseph & St Lot back and at full health would be a huge development, bolstering a shaky secondary.

-Royal was a 2 year starter at LT and would takeover for PJ Barr.

- Gerace is the leader of the offensive line and a very good center

- Otero is a 3 year starter at the WIL Linebacker position

- Carr is a captain and very versatile DB. Best position is slot corner and special teams ace

- Bazzie is a sure tackler in the secondary against the run. Needs to improve in pass coverage

- Young is a productive receiver and a dynamic kick returner

- Wiley is a captain and starting DE. Had a very strong first 2 years at Maine and tailed off a bit since. Can be a productive 2 way end

Posted by: fafan on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 11:16 am

Great post BZ, with Covid and the extra year is difficult to know who is graduating and who is back. That is an impressive list of players who hopefully are returning.

BZ, did you notice an interception the first one in the end zone where the SBU player runs the lengjt of the field by the Maine bench and this is allowed??? Seems like there was a ton of trash talk from SBU yesterday and not saying we werent` involved but just more than usual.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 1:18 pm

I did see that FA Fan and it warranted an unsportsmanlike flag.There was a ton of trash talk at that game on both sides. The officials really did a poor job managing that. It seems like Maine`s has this reputation as an undisciplined team and they are not getting any breaks as a result. 12 penalties was a killer. The first half was really bad in that respect.

The team posted a picture of the graduating class on Twitter. Based on that picture, we aren`t losing many key guys:

Ray Miller & Andre Miller the most notable

Barr, Gelb, Messina, Docos, Chambers, Petrick, Colee & Rowell

Posted by: BearDown on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 1:53 pm
fafan wrote:

Great post BZ, with Covid and the extra year is difficult to know who is graduating and who is back. That is an impressive list of players who hopefully are returning.

BZ, did you notice an interception the first one in the end zone where the SBU player runs the lengjt of the field by the Maine bench and this is allowed??? Seems like there was a ton of trash talk from SBU yesterday and not saying we werent` involved but just more than usual.

Not sure if you remember but the game in the Spring was EXTREMELY chippy. Constant chatter all afternoon. I`m sure some of that is spillover given the seasons are so close to one another. That was a closer game than the score indicated if I remember correctly. This kind of stuff is how rivalries begin to develop -so, maybe not all bad??