Game 9 : Maine vs Stony Brook - Nov 6th 12pm

Posted by: dunbar on Sat Nov 6th, 2021 8:35 pm

The whole JMU/CAA drama means they wouldn`t be awarded the conference championship and the autobid. Doesn`t mean they can`t get an at-large bid. 

Massachusetts lost to Rhode Island earlier this evening. Safe to say that game is winnable next week. 

Maine beat themselves today. Bar none. 

Posted by: MBR on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 3:54 am

recap

Posted by: MBR on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 4:25 am

fell short, ending their three game winning streak

Posted by: MBR on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 5:37 am

highlights 

Posted by: thebam on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 7:54 am
basketball_guy wrote:

I agree with everything you said. Maine should be proud for winning three in a row. Robertson has had his moments this season just not today.  I just noticed that the CAA has banned JMU from any Conference Championships including football since they decided to exit the CAA for the Sunbelt. I was not sure if that means they can not compete in the FCS playoff as a representative of the CAA since the CAA commisioner banned them. 

Had they won today and JMU being banned I was wondering if that means three CAA teams go to the FCS playoffs but not JMU this year. It would have been a motivating factor for Maine to win. Maine could still go 6-5 beating UMASS and UNH (big if) but I think they were picked to be in the middle of the pack anyway this season so they have played to expectations. 

Anyway I think Charleston has done a credible job losing his starting QB this season. Maine should be proud if they can win the next two games. 

CAA Conference banning JMU from Conference Championships

Report: CAA to Ban JMU From Conference Championships – JMU Sports News

anything the ridiculous CAA did this week, does not apply to national tournaments. JMU is fully able to compete for NCAA Championships as at large teams. It is still a screw job by the conference and a huge black eye, but JMU football will be a full go for the FCS playoffs. If I am the JMU players, a well placed black line with a sharpie thru the CAA logo on the helmet would be appropriate.

Posted by: fafan on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 9:59 am

Maine played like they did when we were 1-4. Too bad to have regressed when we needed to keep improving. Obvisouly the 12 penalties were killers and the coaches decision to go for it on 4th down after taking a TO and having Robertston get stopped was puzzling. In short yardage we go with Scott at Wildcat why go away from that. The first TO was the controversial call, a screen play that was deflected and ruled an incomplete pass but reviewed and called a lateral which led to a SBU TD.

As far as gong forward I have thought you go with the QB that gives you the best chance to win and that is what the coaches see at practice so my guess is Fagnano is not recovered from his injury. We still have 2 huge games and beating UMass and UNH is huge I would not call this nothing to play for. We want to finnish 6-5 and after watching Rhody handle UMass that is obtainable. Lets win out and finish with a winning record.

Posted by: mainejeff on Sun Nov 7th, 2021 11:09 am

I think that we will see more up and down efforts from teams across the board as more Millennial coaches enter the profession......not only at Maine but at other programs across the country.  Players don`t live and die for team wins anymore.....it`s all about the individual....both accomplishments and "feel good" mentality. I`m not saying that it`s right or wrong but it is frustrating as a fan.  We better get used to it.

Posted by: maine612 on Mon Nov 8th, 2021 1:34 pm

The game was a frustrating one to watch on TV from afar.  So many chance to win the game.  Stony Brook isnt that good.  Maine could have and should have won.  ugh.

Now let`s regroup and go finish the season strongly.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Nov 8th, 2021 6:12 pm

CAA Football has a different set of bylaws than the CAA. The ban on CAA postseason tournaments does not apply to the football team:

https://caasports.com/news/2021/11/6/james-madison-withdraws-from-caa-football-after-moving-to-fbs-level.aspx

Seems as though they are still able to compete in the CAA title game should they stay atop the rankings.