Curry Gone!!

Posted by: basketball_guy on Tue Jul 20th, 2021 2:41 pm

Sounds like the Assistant Coaches were the fall guys for the last four seasons. They probably saw the handwriting on the wall. You have to ask what kind of start of the season they will have and the fact that it is late in the year to bring in a whole set of new assistants. 

Barron really needs a very experienced assistant coach and probably some lower level coaches if he expects to succeed. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Tue Jul 20th, 2021 3:30 pm

The AD needs to start planning for the post-Barron era.....whether that be next year....or 5 years from now.  We`ll see what type or if any changes are made to NCAA D-1 basketball with all the stuff going on right now....and of course Maine is in the planning stages for a new facility.  Lots of moving parts and TBD how much Maine wants this program to be successful in the future.

Posted by: football58 on Tue Jul 20th, 2021 6:19 pm
mainejeff wrote:

The AD needs to start planning for the post-Barron era.....whether that be next year....or 5 years from now.  We`ll see what type or if any changes are made to NCAA D-1 basketball with all the stuff going on right now....and of course Maine is in the planning stages for a new facility.  Lots of moving parts and TBD how much Maine wants this program to be successful in the future.

The post-Barron era should start as soon as possible.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 6:24 am

Fun to speculate on who Coach Barron might bring in. Some local names to consider:

Brian McDormand- former Old Town HS Coach

Carl Parker- former Bangor HS & Lee Academy Coach

Rich Henry- Wayneflete Coach and Former Maine player

Ramone Jones- former player living in Portland area

Deshon Gaither- Thomas College head coach and former Maine assistant 

Russ Bartlett- longtime Hampden Academy Coach

Boz Bernstein- former Maine player looking to break into college coaching

Anyone else have some possible names?

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 7:59 am

His next top assistant Coach is going to have to be someone with previous College basketball experience preferably at the Division 1 level, mainly because if Barron falters coming out of the gate this season I suspect they may pull the plug and they will need an experienced Coach to take over at that point. Not sure whom that could be. However, if changing all these Assistants makes a difference and they start winning who knows. But I doubt you will see a former player or a Coach who has coached high school basketball as his top Assistant. I suspect Ken Ralph may already have someone in mind but at this point it is so late in year to find a Top Assiistant Coach who is willing to take a chance on a program like Maine right now. It will be interesting to see how all of this continues to shake out. 

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 8:44 am

One spot filled. Per Rothstein on Twitter, Jai Steadman is joining Barron`s staff from Rio Grande Valley.

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 9:24 am
dunbar wrote:

One spot filled. Per Rothstein on Twitter, Jai Steadman is joining Barron`s staff from Rio Grande Valley.

https://goutrgv.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jai-steadman/2575

Seems like a pretty good hire.  He will definitely be the top assistant. I`m guessing that Barron was either creative or got more money for this hire.

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 12:06 pm

Good hire with Jai, checks a lot of boxes!

Sounds like a former Juco head coach (is a current DOBO at a D1) and a local high school assistant with internatioanl ties who played in the Big East are in the mix for 2 of remaining 3 spots on staff. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 6:47 pm

I hope Steadman can tap into the deep recruiting pool in Texas and find some diamonds.