Atlantic Sun Conference moving to FBS football

Posted by: thebam on Tue Jul 6th, 2021 7:34 am
basketball_guy wrote:

He wants to create a sister conference callled the United Athletic Conference in addtion to the Atlantic Sun Conference. He wants to expand UAC into an FBS conference. He calls it a sister Conference. Clearly you did not watch his videos. Nothing happens overnite, this is an exploration. Clearly the CAA is not doing anything. They are staying put in the FCS conference. At least this guy is willing to explore the expansion and sponsering two conferences. It is an interesting idea. 

You say that as if being the premier FCS conference in AMerica is a bad thing?  If one thing is clear over the past few years. you have ZERO respect or appreciation for the FCS level of football. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Tue Jul 6th, 2021 9:36 pm

Unfortunately, when they broke up the old Yankee Conference I think New England teams who wanted to move into the FBS took a hit. I am not saying the CAA is not a top FCS league, but look what has happened to UMASS and UCONN going into the FBS. You would not have split up the SEC certainly but that is because all the teams in the SEC are already in the FBS. 

The problem is UMASS and UCONN lost their true rivals like UMAINE and UNH. We still play both of them but it is a FCS vs FBS rivalry now. I think that is part of the reason why they are failing at the FBS level to an extent. 

What Ted is doing with the Atlantic Sun Conference is expanding the Atlantic Sun Conference but he wants to build a sister conference called the UAC (United Athletic Conferce) which will be an FBS conference in football but still play schools in the Atlantic Sun Conference in volleyball, softball, basketball etc. 

In order to start a new FBS conference you need 8 teams that have to be part of a new FBS conference. 

UMASS, UCONN, LIBERTY, JMU (a move up is inevitable) and possibly Temple and LIBERTY.  He wants to give the current schools in the Atlantic Sun an opportunity to move up into what he calls the Sister Conference of the new UAC. That is what he is talking about. This will open up realignment for other FCS programs that want to move up in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic. 

No one questions that the CAA is a prermier FCS football conference but so is the BIG Sky and no doubt the Atlantic Sun will become a better conference as well. But i doubt you will ever see the CAA become another FBS conference.  

But the issue is UCONN never belonged in the AAC (American Athletic Conference). They really had no rivals there like they do with UMASS and UMAINE and UNH. These are their football rivals. They have been for over 100 years and no one questions that even if UMAINE and UNH are still in the FCS. 

Perhaps I have been hard on UMAINE and UNH on that score but it would be nice to see at least part of the old Yankee Conference teams back together again in one football conference. Rivalries are what make a conference stronger. That I think may be what is missing right now. It is what makes the SEC a strong football conference. 

At least Ted is exploring this possibility. For that I give him a lot of credit because no one else has considered what he is trying to accomplish with a new UAC (United Athletic Conference). Inevitably I think he will succeed with his new endeavor mainly because he can drive more revenues to these mid level FBS conference schools. I think he is on target with this idea even if takes a while. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Tue Jul 6th, 2021 9:48 pm

There is an excellent article on what happens to UCONN football now that they have left the AAC conference. That is why I believe Ted is going to succeed in building a new UAC conference in a new realignment. Somehow I just wish UMAINE and UNH would at least study what he is talking about. 

UConn rejoining the Big East means it has given up on football (usatoday.com)

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jul 7th, 2021 8:00 am

1) They`re just the ASUN now. If you actually paid attention to the videos, you`d realize that.

2) The Yankee Conference did not break up, per se. The NCAA restricted single sport conferences to a small handful of sports (like hockey) back in the 1990s, and the Atlantic Ten took over the charter and administration of the league. The league as a whole moved over to the CAA in 2007 when they had six football playing members. 

3) UConn and UMass (not all caps) are better off as independents. They have the scheduling flexibility and could build a much better slate than they would be able to in a sub-tier conference at the FBS level. The number of bowls is going to be reduced soon and they won`t be in contention to be one of the top six conference champions under the new playoff format, so at this point why join a league to play eight other low lifes when you can play an extra couple power conference teams?

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Jul 7th, 2021 8:26 am

I totally agree about UConn and UMass being Independent.  They will be on a lot of Eastern FBS schedules....and they will get a few sweet home games with schools that their fan bases are actually interested in seeing (Florida Atlantic, FIU, etc just don`t cut it).

UConn gettting back into the Big East for other sports was HUGE for them.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Jul 7th, 2021 8:30 am

Schools like Liberty, UMASS, UCONN who are all Independents right now are in no mans land. They will never be able to go to bowl games as a league representative. It would make sense for them to join a new FBS Conference at some point. 

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jul 7th, 2021 9:43 am
basketball_guy wrote:

Schools like Liberty, UMASS, UCONN who are all Independents right now are in no mans land. They will never be able to go to bowl games as a league representative. It would make sense for them to join a new FBS Conference at some point. 

UMass and UConn (again, not all caps) are nowhere near bowl eligible based on recent history. Neither has had a winning season over the past ten years and only Connecticut have play in a bowl in that timeframe (2015 St. Pete Bowl). A conference won`t change this. 

Liberty has carved a niche for themselves and have won bowl games the past two years. Whether an FBS league will touch them with a ten foot pole is another story. They do have multi-game series with UVA and VT this decade. 

Posted by: thebam on Wed Jul 7th, 2021 11:39 am
dunbar wrote:

UMass and UConn (again, not all caps) are nowhere near bowl eligible based on recent history. Neither has had a winning season over the past ten years and only Connecticut have play in a bowl in that timeframe (2015 St. Pete Bowl). A conference won`t change this. 

Liberty has carved a niche for themselves and have won bowl games the past two years. Whether an FBS league will touch them with a ten foot pole is another story. They do have multi-game series with UVA and VT this decade. 

Liberty football would be a perfect fit in the Sun Belt conference. The Sun Belt`s only bowl loss in 2020/21 was to Liberty.  UConn maybe a fit, but lots of travel as Liberty would be their closest opponent and UConn isn`t nearly as close to being competitive on a regular basis as Liberty is. I wouldn`t mind seeing UConn in Home and Home games with Maine. I can`t see UConn dropping to FCS again.. they would probably just shutter it if it came to that. I think they will continue to just try and slowly grind their way back to being moderately successful. Their athletic department isn`t hurting for money probably so they can stay afloat for a while.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Jul 7th, 2021 2:08 pm
thebam wrote:

Liberty football would be a perfect fit in the Sun Belt conference. The Sun Belt`s only bowl loss in 2020/21 was to Liberty.  UConn maybe a fit, but lots of travel as Liberty would be their closest opponent and UConn isn`t nearly as close to being competitive on a regular basis as Liberty is. I wouldn`t mind seeing UConn in Home and Home games with Maine. I can`t see UConn dropping to FCS again.. they would probably just shutter it if it came to that. I think they will continue to just try and slowly grind their way back to being moderately successful. Their athletic department isn`t hurting for money probably so they can stay afloat for a while.

I also see James Madison moving up to FBS at some point. Foot in Mouth

Old Dominion already made the move but could switch conferences.