Maine v Delaware Attendance

Posted by: thebam on Fri Jun 11th, 2021 6:18 pm

As a result of some social media conversatons I have had, I seem to be , perhaps in the minority. I am bringing it to the MBR experts. What is a reasonable expectation for attendance on Sept 2 vs Delaware?  A Thursday. No HS football. Not hunting season. Not 10 degrees. ( aka , all the usual excuses)  If properly marketed ( big IF) starting NOW, why can`t they have it be a sellout? 10,000 + ?  Beer Garden.. Tailgaing.. Concession specials?  What are y`alls thoughts on what a good attendance might be for a home opener against a decent conference rival.

Also, as a disclaimer.. my Stepson plays his first ever college football game for Fort Hays St. on the same night or I would be on a plane to Maine for this game. So when I don`t show up, there is no hypocrisy. :-)

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Jun 14th, 2021 10:38 am

Other excuses:

1. But it`s a Thursday night, aka work the next day

2. But it`s before Labor Day. 

3. Summers are so short in Maine that I need to enjoy every summer night I can and don`t want to waste them on a football game.

There may be more but that`s what I got so far. Anyway, I would think they should be able to market the hell out of that game and get at least 8k or more. Classes start at UMaine on Monday, August 31st and you would think you could entice a great deal of students to come out and watch the game before heading out for a night of debauchery. I mean, every night is a party night the first week of school. 

Posted by: dunbar on Mon Jun 14th, 2021 11:08 am

There`s a reason they moved the game from Saturday to Thursday. The New Hampshire game in 2018 drew OK and that was before dorms opened. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Jun 15th, 2021 7:01 pm

I would say 7 to 8 K is realistic. I`m not a fan of Thursday night games myself, it is a tough one for families and most of the students won`t be up here that early. That said, I`ll be there and I can`t wait!

Posted by: parquetfloor on Tue Jun 15th, 2021 8:34 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

I would say 7 to 8 K is realistic. I`m not a fan of Thursday night games myself, it is a tough one for families and most of the students won`t be up here that early. That said, I`ll be there and I can`t wait!

I believe school starts August 31st this year so students should be there. I don`t know if schools will have started by then so it may not be so difficult for families at that time of year.