Maine v Delaware Attendance

Posted by: mainejeff on Tue Jun 15th, 2021 8:44 pm

I`ve given up on hoping for large crowds at UM sporting events.  Eastern Maine has its limitations....and people just aren`t as engaged in college athletics in general as they were 20 or 30 years ago.

Posted by: Archer Bunker on Tue Jun 15th, 2021 10:23 pm
mainejeff wrote:

I`ve given up on hoping for large crowds at UM sporting events.  Eastern Maine has its limitations....and people just aren`t as engaged in college athletics in general as they were 20 or 30 years ago.

Agree with Mainejeff this younger generation would rather play vedio games than go an watch any sporting event.

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 9:07 am

The amount of "Old Man Yells at Cloud" is at an all-time high in this thread.

The demand of live events is high. The crowd we`ve seen at games across the country have been great. Not so much the amount of bodies present, but how much fans have been engaged and into the game. That`s what makes a great crowd. Don`t need to pack the place if people are going to sit on their hands. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 9:17 am
dunbar wrote:

The demand of live events is high. The crowd we`ve seen at games across the country have been great. Not so much the amount of bodies present, but how much fans have been engaged and into the game. That`s what makes a great crowd. Don`t need to pack the place if people are going to sit on their hands. 

UMaine would love to have 8K paying customers sitting on their hands vs. 2K freebies yelling their arses off......guaranteed.

I do agree with you on one thing......there does seem to be a smaller but loyal....and engaged fan base for UM sports.  Unfortuately, many of them seem to be virtual fans......following and watching from afar. The locals aren`t as engaged as they used to be.

Posted by: fafan on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 9:24 am
dunbar wrote:

Too funny, sort of true that ones that complain about attendance don`t even go to the games. I would estimate 8K for this one, which would make it the largest watched sporting event in the state this year.

I am way more worried about wether Maine can even compete with the Blue Hens. Delaware and JMU seem to be the preseason favorites and Maine will need to address some areas to be in this game. 

Dunbar, hope you can send some photos when the turf is laid down. Any inside info on what this will look like???

Posted by: hibbert on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 1:18 pm

Back in the heyday of big UMaine attendances, there really were fewer options.  You could go to a UMaine Saturday afternoon football game, or watch the one game on TV, or do yardwork.  Those were your choices.

Now, it`s not just UMaine that sees less attendance than decades ago.  Everyone can focus in on their one or two esoteric interests (into Japanese sumo wrestling? You can watch it live!) instead of having to follow the crowd into one option on tv.

Attendance and viewership are falling everywhere as every person, in every demographic, can have their particular interests catered to them specifically.  This isn`t a "kids prefer video games" issue, it`s an "everyone prefers that one thing they like" issue.

Secondarily, people spend WAY more time shuttling kids to different activities these days.  Every kid, for better or worse, is scheduled to the hilt, and families have less free time to while away four hours at a football game.

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 8:40 pm

4 noon starts......I`m not tailgating at 9:00am either.

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 8:51 pm
mainejeff wrote:

4 noon starts......I`m not tailgating at 9:00am either.

It`s fun.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Jun 16th, 2021 11:10 pm
Archer Bunker wrote:

Agree with Mainejeff this younger generation would rather play vedio games than go an watch any sporting event.

I don`t agree with this assessment at all. I agree that UMAINE should do better drawing a fanbase and I am not sure whether these upgrades to the Stadium may make a difference. Unfortunately for Orono there have been too many economic hits in the area that have forced companies and jobs to move elsewhere. No College football program should have to move to an offsite location. But it won`t happen under this AD. If they could have invested more in a closed indoor stadium at Orono I think that would have changed the entire dynamic but even with such a large endowment by the Alfond Fund building an indoor stadium to replace Morse would have been too large investment that UMAINE is not prepared to make. If they had the money I am not even sure if would have made any difference anyway in Orono. But I do think an indoor facility would have drawn larger crowds. Only die hard fans are willing to spend a Saturday afternoon in late October and November in a cold stadium with wooden benches. I am not going to get into the discussion on Portland, because I have come to the conclusion College football at the D1 level in Maine will remain at Orono. But an indoor stadium at Orono would have been a very interesting thought.