Maine v Delaware Attendance

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Jun 17th, 2021 7:54 am
basketball_guy wrote:

I don`t agree with this assessment at all. I agree that UMAINE should do better drawing a fanbase and I am not sure whether these upgrades to the Stadium may make a difference. Unfortunately for Orono there have been too many economic hits in the area that have forced companies and jobs to move elsewhere. No College football program should have to move to an offsite location. But it won`t happen under this AD. If they could have invested more in a closed indoor stadium at Orono I think that would have changed the entire dynamic but even with such a large endowment by the Alfond Fund building an indoor stadium to replace Morse would have been too large investment that UMAINE is not prepared to make. If they had the money I am not even sure if would have made any difference anyway in Orono. But I do think an indoor facility would have drawn larger crowds. Only die hard fans are willing to spend a Saturday afternoon in late October and November in a cold stadium with wooden benches. I am not going to get into the discussion on Portland, because I have come to the conclusion College football at the D1 level in Maine will remain at Orono. But an indoor stadium at Orono would have been a very interesting thought.  

You`re not going to get your money`s worth building an indoor facility based on the lack of usage throughout the year. The only indoor facilities in Division I were either built in the 70s or with oil money.

It`ll be interesting to see the economic impact over the next ten years. The Bangor area has whethered things relatively well over the past year and a half. You just can`t say Orono, while campus is mostly located there, it`s the Bangor area.

Posted by: thebam on Thu Jun 17th, 2021 3:26 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

I don`t agree with this assessment at all. I agree that UMAINE should do better drawing a fanbase and I am not sure whether these upgrades to the Stadium may make a difference. Unfortunately for Orono there have been too many economic hits in the area that have forced companies and jobs to move elsewhere. No College football program should have to move to an offsite location. But it won`t happen under this AD. If they could have invested more in a closed indoor stadium at Orono I think that would have changed the entire dynamic but even with such a large endowment by the Alfond Fund building an indoor stadium to replace Morse would have been too large investment that UMAINE is not prepared to make. If they had the money I am not even sure if would have made any difference anyway in Orono. But I do think an indoor facility would have drawn larger crowds. Only die hard fans are willing to spend a Saturday afternoon in late October and November in a cold stadium with wooden benches. I am not going to get into the discussion on Portland, because I have come to the conclusion College football at the D1 level in Maine will remain at Orono. But an indoor stadium at Orono would have been a very interesting thought.  

Wooden benches?  

Posted by: MBR on Fri Jun 18th, 2021 4:22 am

Start marketing and promoting now!!! Challenge the masses to sell out the game!!!

Posted by: fafan on Fri Jun 18th, 2021 10:39 am

Way to go Bam, leading the way to a sellout from Oklahoma!!!

Posted by: BearDown on Fri Jun 18th, 2021 12:15 pm

Love it Bam! AND, if it is a sellout, maybe we could do a countdown loud enough to let the team know when they have to be on the field for the kickoff vs Delaware!! Countdown to kickoff hype!

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Jun 18th, 2021 10:28 pm
dunbar wrote:

You`re not going to get your money`s worth building an indoor facility based on the lack of usage throughout the year. The only indoor facilities in Division I were either built in the 70s or with oil money.

It`ll be interesting to see the economic impact over the next ten years. The Bangor area has whethered things relatively well over the past year and a half. You just can`t say Orono, while campus is mostly located there, it`s the Bangor area.

I am not sure about that. Frankly I am not really sold on Orono or Bangor area as being a place for a fanbase for football. But that being said if the State and the University could get the financial backing it could serve as an event center for concerts,indoor business conventions and football events. I would have liked to have seen such a facility down in Portland because of the population base in greater Portland being over 650,000 but they have too many indoor facilities already in Portland. If you had an indoor facility like this it would attract a much larger fanbase for football I believe because it would be much warmer inside on a cold day. The other thing you have not considered what if the State were to bid on a Winter Olympics sometime in the future. They would need a major indoor venue to support Winter Ice Skating. Hockey, as well as Indoor track. With such a faciility and three major ski areas in the State it is not out of the realm of possibilites that the State could get a bid for the Winter Olympics at some point. If I am not mistaken the Fargodome has less in terms of population in their metro area than Bangor/Orono does and yet they fill out the Fargodome for all their home games. On a cold day there is no nice venue to be in North Dakota and I believe their Winters are worse than Maines. Something to look at certainly. 

Well the Fargodome was built in 1992 for North Dakota State University. 

Fargodome Concert and Event Tickets - Fargo ND (eventticketscenter.com)

Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium was built in 2016 for South Dakota Status University

Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium - Wikipedia

The Carrier dome was built at Syracuse in 1992

Posted by: dunbar on Fri Jun 18th, 2021 11:16 pm

I appreciate consistency. You`re consistently wrong. 

Nobody wants the Olympics anymore. You`re getting a lot of single bids from locations that have hosted before, both summer and winter. To suggest that Maine could put in, let alone win, an Olympic bid is laughable at best. 

Second, the Fargodome has financed partially with a half cent sales tax in an area that`s done well with oil. The city owns the building and you can`t build something like that today at that cost, even after inflation.

Third, the Carrier Dome was built in the 70s and opened in 1980. They are the only FBS program with an on-campus indoor facility.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sat Jun 19th, 2021 4:50 am
dunbar wrote:

I appreciate consistency. You`re consistently wrong. 

Nobody wants the Olympics anymore. You`re getting a lot of single bids from locations that have hosted before, both summer and winter. To suggest that Maine could put in, let alone win, an Olympic bid is laughable at best. 

Second, the Fargodome has financed partially with a half cent sales tax in an area that`s done well with oil. The city owns the building and you can`t build something like that today at that cost, even after inflation.

Third, the Carrier Dome was built in the 70s and opened in 1980. They are the only FBS program with an on-campus indoor facility.

You`re entitled to your opinion but not your own set of facts

Nine Division I football teams call unique indoor stadiums "home."   Two more (Tulane and Georgia State) play in indoor stadiums whose main tenants are NFL teams

FBS schools with domed stadiums: Syracuse, Texas-San Antonio.. Syracuse uses a dome to have a high seating capacity for basketball and avoid late season weather. UTSA uses a dome because the city of San Antonio built a dome to try to attract an NFL franchise. Idaho has now stepped down to FCS. 

There`s three teams in the FBS that play in a domed stadium: Syracuse, Idaho, and Tulane. Seven are in the FCS: North Dakota, North Dakota State, Georgia State, Northern Iowa, Northern Arizona, Idaho St., and South Dakota.

There`s two main reasons that the teams would choose to have a domed stadium: the weather at the site and/or because it`s multipurpose. The weather part is self explanatory, especially at a place like Syracuse. For multipurpose, this saves the school from having to built a second building to house home games for basketball and such. Take Syracuse for example. the Carrier Dome seats close to 60,000 for football and 30,000 for basketball. They fill it up for basketball. They would have to spend more than $300 million to build a basketball arena to house the team and to have as many fans as they could.

College Football: Ranking Division I Indoor Stadiums | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Posted by: dunbar on Sat Jun 19th, 2021 8:30 am
basketball_guy wrote:

You`re entitled to your opinion but not your own set of facts

Nine Division I football teams call unique indoor stadiums "home."   Two more (Tulane and Georgia State) play in indoor stadiums whose main tenants are NFL teams

FBS schools with domed stadiums: Syracuse, Texas-San Antonio.. Syracuse uses a dome to have a high seating capacity for basketball and avoid late season weather. UTSA uses a dome because the city of San Antonio built a dome to try to attract an NFL franchise. Idaho has now stepped down to FCS. 

There`s three teams in the FBS that play in a domed stadium: Syracuse, Idaho, and Tulane. Seven are in the FCS: North Dakota, North Dakota State, Georgia State, Northern Iowa, Northern Arizona, Idaho St., and South Dakota.

There`s two main reasons that the teams would choose to have a domed stadium: the weather at the site and/or because it`s multipurpose. The weather part is self explanatory, especially at a place like Syracuse. For multipurpose, this saves the school from having to built a second building to house home games for basketball and such. Take Syracuse for example. the Carrier Dome seats close to 60,000 for football and 30,000 for basketball. They fill it up for basketball. They would have to spend more than $300 million to build a basketball arena to house the team and to have as many fans as they could.

College Football: Ranking Division I Indoor Stadiums | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

No.

Tulane has their own open-air, on-campus stadium that opened in 2014.

Georgia State bought and now plays in the converted Turner Field/Centennial Olympic Stadium and has since 2017.

UTSA plays off-campus in the Alamodome. Therefore, the only on-campus dome in FBS is Syracuse.

If you`re going to copy-and-paste information without context or formatting, at the very least fact check it or proofread it so you don`t contridict yourself.

Back on topic, if Maine can draw 8000 for the Delaware game, that`d be perfect. At this point, the obession over attendance is getting weird. It`s almost like people are using the size of the gate as a way to validate their fandom.