Chris Ferguson

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Mon Jun 7th, 2021 9:12 pm

The former Maine QB is back in the CAA at Towson..!

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Jun 7th, 2021 10:33 pm

I remember when Ferg was a redshirt freshman and he beat out senior transfer Max Staver. Despite being consistently bashed on MBR by Josh Mack`s presumed high school coach and other various aliases created out of the woodwork, Chris went on to have 2 pretty solid seasons of production before leading the offense as a junior in 2018 to the greatest playoff run in the history of Maine football.  Ferg got injured early in the season of 2019 and that was it. Joe Fagnano took the job. Tough business. Transferred to Liberty after obtaining a medical redshirt and was beat out for the starting job by Auburn transfer Malik Willis, who had an outstanding season for the Flames. Ferg now a 6th year grad transfer (Covid redshirt) moves on to Towson. 
A couple things...Ferg really loves the game of football. He has outstanding leadership skills. That said, I`m not sure he starts for them. His playing style is not on menu right now. Most schools are looking for dual threat quarterbacks.  Best wishes to Chris.  Go Maine!

Posted by: fafan on Tue Jun 8th, 2021 8:36 am

Since we don`t have Towson on the schedule this year I hope he has a great year for the Tigers but I agree dual threat QB`s is almost a must now. Forgot about Mack`s coachs dumping on Fergie and ironic that both transferred to the same schoolWink

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Jun 8th, 2021 10:13 pm

Yeah it was pretty entertaining when the meatballs came on the scene to bash Chris and the Maine coaching staff. Once Mack moved on and was replaced by Jefferson (quite capably), and Maine went on their run, it got really quiet. 
Ferguson is a talented player and good leader. Hope he does well.

Posted by: fafan on Wed Jun 9th, 2021 12:14 pm

Saw on AGS where the transfer QB Jawon Pass from Louisville is transferring out of Towson so Fergie could be the starting QB for the tigers.

This is such a bizarre year between Covid allowing every player to not count this past year and yet allowing everyone to transfer without losing any time. Would think all schools are just like Maine with players leaving and moving on with life decisions as well as others testing the waters to move up or try another program.

BZ, hope sometime you let us know where we need to improve with players moving on. Thinking we need some 2ndary help and losing Curtis Murray may hurt but see Jordan Rowell is still sticking around, always wanted to see him in the backfield as it looked like he could be a bruiser of a HB or FB.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Thu Jun 10th, 2021 8:03 am

I hope to make it up to some camp practices in August if time allows. A few guys have hit the transfer portal lately, including Jonathan Smith-Cobb, who I thought could be an important player at rush end for Maine.  Swann is a talented cover corner, but Maine is very deep there as Katley Joseph returns from a Covid redshirt and Shaquille St Lot from a medical redshirt. Benito Speight really impressed me in the spring as well.

I think the top area of concern is DLine, specifically the end spots. Maine needs to generate more QB pressures & sacks as well as do a better job setting the edge in run defense. Offensively, the running back position needs someone to emerge as the lead back I think. If Freddie Brock can add some more strength and stay healthy, I think he`s the guy. Barnwell & Banks both have ability. Just not a lot of experience.