OT: Shibles leaves Bowdoin for Dartmouth HC job

Posted by: turkeyman on Tue May 4th, 2021 7:59 am

Dartmouth has hired Adrienne Shibles to replace Belle Koclanes as women`s basketball head coach.

Shibles, a 1,000-point scorer at Bates, had been at Bowdoin for 13 years. The Polar Bears played twice for the Div. III national championship and might well have played for it a third time in 2019-20 but for the pandemic. Koclanes left Dartmouth to take over a leadership program in Wilmington, Del.

I can see this affecting UMaine women`s basketball. Dartmouth has always competed with UMaine in recruiting in the Northeast but it hasn`t often pulled students from Maine. Shibles has a strong record of getting Maine girls to attend Bowdoin. Her rosters almost always had at least four and often more Maine players. I have heard other Div. III coaches say it is difficult to recruit against her at that level because of the academic and winning profiles of Bowdoin, and I won`t be surprised if her recruiting prowess serves her well at Div. I. 

And, she knows the territory here. Shibles graduated from Mount View High School in Thorndike. She is the second NESCAC coach to jump to Div. I recently. Carla Berube, who played at UConn, took the Princeton job after 17 years  as head coach at Tufts. The Jumbos played for the Div. III national title while she was there.

Shibles will be a very, very tough act for someone to follow at Bowdoin. She followed another tough act, Stefanie Pemper, when she took the Bowdoin job. Wbb is Bowdoin`s premier sport, so the athletic department must be very careful to pick someone to maintain the Polar Bears` stature. Good luck to Coach Shibles at Dartmouth.

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: parquetfloor on Tue May 4th, 2021 8:53 am

She is a class act as well as being a very good coach. I have known her for a long time. I`m so happy for her as she has worked very hard to get where she is today. 

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Tue May 4th, 2021 3:34 pm

Well deserved and earned this opportunity in Spades.  Best D3 hoops in Maine since Marple graduated.  It doesn`t get better that being at Bowdoin watching a Saturday or Sunday matinee game. 

D3 & Bowdoin has its own criteria, but wonder if this year`s seniors have an option to stay to work on an advanced degree and play their 4th year.  Having coached Moira Train, sure would of enjoyed seeing her senior year. 

Posted by: turkeyman on Tue May 4th, 2021 3:59 pm

Eddie, interesting questions. There is precedent in NESCAC for a fifth year, though it hasn`t happened often. When Meg Coffin at Bates blew an ACL playing soccer, she was able to attend a fifth year and to play her fourth year of eligibility in wbb. I believe that in general NESCAC does not permit fifth years, though. 

This is a different situation, of course, since the NCAA has added a year of eligibility for everyone in every sport. I have read stories of D III players returning for a fifth year in other conferences.

I don`t know enough about how Bowdoin may be structured for grad study. It doesn`t confer graduate degrees, but it may have some cooperative programs that permit students to stay enrolled at Bowdoin while taking courses (presumably online or in short residential stays) at a school that does grant graduate degrees. Or maybe a fifth year to complete a second BA or BS in another major.

I have heard through various grapevines that at least a couple of Bowdoin players took off 2020-21 because of the pandemic and presumably they would still be eligible when returning to campus. I wouldn`t be surprised, either, to find that a number of students did not take full course loads online this year so would be needing a fifth year to graduate anyhow.

Replacement? Bowdoin can probably write its own ticket here. Who wouldn`t want to coach there? What about Julie (Sinclair) Veilleux who knows Maine cold and assisted at Bowdoin and head coached at Colby? Or what about Alison (Montgomery) Smith, a Bowdoin alum and head coach at Bates who also knows Maine cold? Other possibilities come to mind?

Hope we can get back to watching Polar Bears this winter. The drive is fairly easy (65 minutes) and the in-conference back-to-back games on Friday night/Saturday afternoon are always interesting. The pre-conference season is often great, too, with an occasional really good team coming in to test the Polar Bears. And the NCAA tournament is almost a lock for Bowdoin, as is hosting since it has a good gym, adequate parking and a location well within the 500 miles set by the NCAA for D III first-round games.  Nobody tops NESCAC for the quality of D III women`s hoops. 

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed May 5th, 2021 2:42 pm

I was wondering if Cindy Blodgett would consider and Bowdoin likewise.  Maine did not work out for her and I am not in a position to evaluate her coaching acume.  Just did not see enough of her.  I do believe that Burns respected her. 

If there was one person who derserves a 2nd chance at redemption, this lady who gave us years of great hoop play to watch and admire tops my list.  Cindy sucked it up and took two assistance jobs inlieu of walking away.  Bring this Maine kid home in my book.

Posted by: football58 on Thu May 6th, 2021 7:58 pm
ExpoEddie wrote:

Well deserved and earned this opportunity in Spades.  Best D3 hoops in Maine since Marple graduated.  It doesn`t get better that being at Bowdoin watching a Saturday or Sunday matinee game. 

D3 & Bowdoin has its own criteria, but wonder if this year`s seniors have an option to stay to work on an advanced degree and play their 4th year.  Having coached Moira Train, sure would of enjoyed seeing her senior year. 

Bowdoin is a college, not a university, therefore does not offer advanced degrees.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri May 7th, 2021 10:46 am

turkeyman clarified correctly.  football58 you are wrong.  Bowdoin as a college made achoice to not have graduate programs.  St. Michael`s College where I graduated from has a very robust graduate program(s).  Designation as a University or College does not prohibit advanced degrees.