It`s time to drop hockey, baseball and a women`s sport

Posted by: mario_spaghettio on Thu Apr 29th, 2021 5:40 pm

The glory days are long gone for baseball and hockey. Dropping both sports should also allow the university to additionally drop a women`s sport and still be in compliance with all that Title IX nonsense. It`s time to switch the focus and budget to sports that still matter. 

Posted by: hoopsisme on Thu Apr 29th, 2021 6:27 pm

D-I schools

Schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women, with at least two team sports for each gender. Teams that include both men and women are counted as men`s sports for the purposes of sponsorship counting.

Currently the men have 7 sports, the women have 8

Posted by: mario_spaghettio on Thu Apr 29th, 2021 10:46 pm

There are always exceptions and exemptions 

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Apr 30th, 2021 8:08 am

I would not be suprised to see the NCAA lower the limit on the amount of sports required to 10 or 12.  If they don`t help some of these schools lower costs.....they may find themselves with less members as schools drop their entire sports programs.  The world is changing.....college sports are not immuned to that change.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri Apr 30th, 2021 11:19 am

With $90 million coming in for new ice arena, baseball etc. someone needs to make a decision sooner versus later.  Without a dome, baseball does not make sense as the team is always behind other warmer climate schools.  Ditto softball.  Hockey was tremendous local support and should stay.  They just have to find the right coach with the right vision as hockey is all around Maine to draw from. 

With Montgomery turning their offer down along with another ex-player; they are going to need to figure out the $`s/math to pay $300k for this coach from what I have read.  Current $213 doesn`t get it done.  Even though they have not a lot of games lately, they can add another star in the NHL from this time with Swayman.  They have a strong track record on getting players to the pro`s.  Football the only other sport to accomplish this.