AEast women

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 9:58 am

The conference is setting up well for Maine to make another run. Stony Brook and UMass-Lowell both looking for new head coaches. SB also losing its best player to transfer. 

Posted by: hoopsisme on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 10:38 am

No Blanca or Dor . Tough shoes to fill!!

Posted by: turkeyman on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 11:40 am

Catch us up here, folks. Where is Tom Garrick going? I find no mention on the internet of UML losing its coach. And, who is Stony Brook`s best player who`s leaving? Annie Warren, who devasted Maine in the championship game, or Asiah Dingle? Both have two years eligibility if they want it. Warren has played there for three years, Dingle transferred in from Kent State last year. Is the transfer going with McCombs to GWU?

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 12:44 pm

Dingle is transferring again. 
Garrick is going with his wife, who was just named head coach At Vanderbilt. 

Posted by: turkeyman on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 1:38 pm

Thanks, MaineFan. Do you know if Dingle is going with McCombs to GW? I thought Annie Warren was Stony Brook`s best player last year, and I was surprised she didn`t make second or first team AE. I`ll bet she carried that with her as motivation into the championship game.

Vandy is a tough gig, a strong program in a stronger conference. Vandy may have the highest academic standards in the SEC -- that doesn`t explain how I got into graduate school there -- which can make recruiting hard. But Garrick was there before as an assistant, mostly to Melanie Balcomb, so he knows the territory and the challenge. And Shea Ralph is a North Carolinian, so she knows the turf, too. 

I`m inclined to agree with hoopsis that UMaine may have a tough year ahead without Blanca or Dor. (Has anyone heard where Dor is headed? WBB blog, which tracks transfers, hasn`t posted a destination for her.) I expect UVM, NJIT and Bingo to be better. UNH could be better if it plays consistent defense. UMBC is an unknown to me. I saw several of its games, and it didn`t look good but seemed to be improving before it bagged the season. Albany could look absolutely terrible, but the team stuck with the season and may have gained a lot from that. Hartford, if it stays in DI, will have to rebuild from a not very good and a very short season. Lowell and Stony Brook may both suffer, as many teams do, with new coaches. All depands on whom they get and how well the new coaches relate to the players. Lowell could be very good again. Stony Brook keeps a lot of talent. 

For UMaine, the steady and experienced hand of Maeve and the scoring ability of Anne are good building blocks. Alba and Anna are already strong defenders, and I expect D will be Maine`s strength until the unit and the new players gel. We saw flashes from Caroline and Olivia, but both need a lot more experience. The frosh class looks strong. I won `t be surprised if at least one freshman becomes a starter this year. Maybe two. 

Already waiting for the new season to start.

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: mainejeff on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 1:59 pm

I honestly don`t think that Maine has much beyond Carroll, Simon, & Orois.  Laurence & Kahelin can contribute....but are they 30 min/game starters?  Maine NEEDS at least 2-3 of the freshmen to be major contributors right off the bat.  if 1 or 2 of them don`t start....I`ll be very concerned.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Apr 13th, 2021 9:42 pm

I think Simon takes a huge step forward next year as the team`s leading scorer and best overall player. Orois is also poised for a huge jump. Remember Sigi`s jump in production from her freshman to Sophomore year? Something along those lines, maybe not as dramatic a jump in scoring numbers,but close. Laurence is going to be a really solid 2 way post. Maeve will continue to be a force and double double machine As she takes on a larger leadership role.
Bailey Wilborn should be instant impact and I look for Olivia Rockwood to be an important rotation player, possible starter.  If Kahelin comes into the season with confidence and full health, I expect her to be the team`s defensive stopper. Maine needs someone else to step up as a rotational post. Not sure if Katie White is up to the task?  Maine Is still an upper tier AE team and honestly if Dingle leaves, they should be favored to win the league.

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Sat Apr 17th, 2021 10:39 am

Warren is leaving SB as well.