2021-22 Schedules

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jul 28th, 2021 10:56 am

WBB released their non-conference schedule. Five home games plus one in Augusta.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule

Nov. 9at Nebraska
Nov. 13Providence
Nov. 15Delaware
Nov. 19at Yale
Nov. 21at Boston University
Nov. 26at Army
Nov. 28at Princeton
Dec. 4Drexel
Dec. 12vs. Rhode Island (Augusta Civic Center)
Dec. 19Dartmouth
Dec. 22Northeastern
Posted by: fafan on Wed Jul 28th, 2021 12:13 pm
dunbar wrote:

WBB released their non-conference schedule. Five home games plus one in Augusta.

Nov. 9at Nebraska
Nov. 13Providence
Nov. 15Delaware
Nov. 19at Yale
Nov. 26at Army
Nov. 28at Princeton
Dec. 4Drexel
Dec. 19Dartmouth
Dec. 22Northeastern

Is that the toughest top to bottom OCC ever? I know there are no top 20 teams but neither are there any cupcakes. The Providence and Rhody games look like real good ones and on Sat and Sunday respectively.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Wed Jul 28th, 2021 1:24 pm

No. There have been several very strong OOC schedules. The year I remember (had to look up the opponents as I couldn`t remember exactly) was 2004-05: @ LSU, vs Virginia, @ SMU, vs Loyola, vs St Joseph`s, @ Buffalo, vs Indiana, vs Michigan, @ Montana, vs Louisville. When half your schedule is made up of Power 5 teams, that`s extremely strong. In addition, St. Joseph`s and Montana were very good mid-major programs at that time as well. 

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Jul 28th, 2021 1:40 pm
parquetfloor wrote:

No. There have been several very strong OOC schedules. The year I remember (had to look up the opponents as I couldn`t remember exactly) was 2004-05: @ LSU, vs Virginia, @ SMU, vs Loyola, vs St Joseph`s, @ Buffalo, vs Indiana, vs Michigan, @ Montana, vs Louisville. When half your schedule is made up of Power 5 teams, that`s extremely strong. In addition, St. Joseph`s and Montana were very good mid-major programs at that time as well. 

Six of those games were part of tournaments (LSU & UVA in Baton Rouge, Loyola & St. Joe`s in Orono, and Montana & Louisville in Missoula). The downside of a heavy OOC schedule is that you are far less likely to get return games. Maine has done well in getting Power 5 (which really didn`t exist until 2013 and really doesn`t apply to basketball) to travel in the past, but getting those games nowadays is harder. A lower revenue sport like WBB is likely to schedule more regionally to save on travel the next year or two to recover lost revenue. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Jul 28th, 2021 2:30 pm
dunbar wrote:

Nov. 9at Nebraska
Nov. 13Providence
Nov. 15Delaware
Nov. 19at Yale
Nov. 26at Army
Nov. 28at Princeton
Dec. 4Drexel
Dec. 19Dartmouth
Dec. 22Northeastern

I really like this schedule.  First off....it is a really smart regional schedule that will be much easier to navigate if COVID becomes an issue again.  Secondly, the regional opponents are very solid....I like that the Bryants & Central Connecticuts have been replaced with the Providences, Delawares, etc.  And lastly, it`s nice to see a somewhat beefy home schedule spread out nicely over November/December.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Thu Jul 29th, 2021 12:21 pm
dunbar wrote:

Six of those games were part of tournaments (LSU & UVA in Baton Rouge, Loyola & St. Joe`s in Orono, and Montana & Louisville in Missoula). The downside of a heavy OOC schedule is that you are far less likely to get return games. Maine has done well in getting Power 5 (which really didn`t exist until 2013 and really doesn`t apply to basketball) to travel in the past, but getting those games nowadays is harder. A lower revenue sport like WBB is likely to schedule more regionally to save on travel the next year or two to recover lost revenue. 

First, I know that 6 of those games were in tournaments but that doesn`t change the fact that those games were played. Second, I don`t recall anything being mentioned about getting retrun games. Thus, I`m not really sure what your point is/was with your response. Clearly what I posted was a very strong OOC schedule that was in direct response to someone wondering if it was the best from top to bottom. 

The P5 moniker indicates a school that comes from a conference with much greater resources than most other conferences, thus should be a school with a stronger overall athletic department and teams. And while that may not have technically existed back then, clearly schools in the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, etc were well known to have a lot of money. 

The women`s basketball team had hardly any expenses to attend that tournament at LSU, hosted by the Women`s Sports Foundation, who ultimately picked up the majority of the expenses. A team dropped out the summer leading into that event and they needed another school to go along with LSU, Virginia and Arizona State (a top 20 team at the time as well). LSU went on to finish that year 33-3, including 14-0 in the SEC regular season. 

As far as trying to recover lost revenue the following season, as you alluded to, WBB doesn`t really bring in a lot of revenue so not a lot to try and recoup. Also, they have annual budgets. Team travel is part of that budget as is the amount of money the athletic department wants the WBB team to bring in in terms of guarantee money, which usually is very little. There really is no carryover from season to season. 

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Jul 29th, 2021 12:44 pm
parquetfloor wrote:

First, I know that 6 of those games were in tournaments but that doesn`t change the fact that those games were played. Second, I don`t recall anything being mentioned about getting retrun games. Thus, I`m not really sure what your point is/was with your response. Clearly what I posted was a very strong OOC schedule that was in direct response to someone wondering if it was the best from top to bottom. 

The P5 moniker indicates a school that comes from a conference with much greater resources than most other conferences, thus should be a school with a stronger overall athletic department and teams. And while that may not have technically existed back then, clearly schools in the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, etc were well known to have a lot of money. 

The women`s basketball team had hardly any expenses to attend that tournament at LSU, hosted by the Women`s Sports Foundation, who ultimately picked up the majority of the expenses. A team dropped out the summer leading into that event and they needed another school to go along with LSU, Virginia and Arizona State (a top 20 team at the time as well). LSU went on to finish that year 33-3, including 14-0 in the SEC regular season. 

As far as trying to recover lost revenue the following season, as you alluded to, WBB doesn`t really bring in a lot of revenue so not a lot to try and recoup. Also, they have annual budgets. Team travel is part of that budget as is the amount of money the athletic department wants the WBB team to bring in in terms of guarantee money, which usually is very little. There really is no carryover from season to season. 

There is always financial carry over annually with all public entities. I spent most of the morning pulling money from one year to another and revising budgets and estimates accordingly. In collegiate athletics, you`re coming off a year with higher expenses due to travel protocols and whatnot plus virtually zero external revenue. Look at MBB non-conference schedules and you`ll see the guarantee money is down and games are a lot more regional than in year`s past. All athletic departments across the country are doing this, not just those in non-power conferences. 

On that note, the P5 moniker is a misnomer because it only really applies to football. The term is really only a decade old with the split of the Big East and the AAC and formation of the CFP. The Big East is a power conference in basketball. Some conferences are powers in other Olympic sports. The shakeup we are seeing thanks to Texas and Oklahoma moving the SEC only makes this more unstable.

Maine is not going to get a strong non-conference schedule like they did 15+ years ago. The landscape has changed and bus trips are all the rage now. Other programs don`t draw as well as Maine does (or has, the fanbase is getting older). Stronger and better are not synonymous here. Maine WBB upcoming non-conference schedule is better for the program and department at the moment.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Thu Jul 29th, 2021 1:38 pm
dunbar wrote:

There is always financial carry over annually with all public entities. I spent most of the morning pulling money from one year to another and revising budgets and estimates accordingly. In collegiate athletics, you`re coming off a year with higher expenses due to travel protocols and whatnot plus virtually zero external revenue. Look at MBB non-conference schedules and you`ll see the guarantee money is down and games are a lot more regional than in year`s past. All athletic departments across the country are doing this, not just those in non-power conferences. 

On that note, the P5 moniker is a misnomer because it only really applies to football. The term is really only a decade old with the split of the Big East and the AAC and formation of the CFP. The Big East is a power conference in basketball. Some conferences are powers in other Olympic sports. The shakeup we are seeing thanks to Texas and Oklahoma moving the SEC only makes this more unstable.

Maine is not going to get a strong non-conference schedule like they did 15+ years ago. The landscape has changed and bus trips are all the rage now. Other programs don`t draw as well as Maine does (or has, the fanbase is getting older). Stronger and better are not synonymous here. Maine WBB upcoming non-conference schedule is better for the program and department at the moment.

Of course smaller athletic departments this year are making a change to travel for their teams while the larger schools are adjusting the amount of money they are paying for guarantees. Schools lost a boatload of income from attendance, their respective conference payout, etc. It`s a natural occurence and to be expected.

I don`t recall the conversation being about this schedule being better for the program right now (clearly it is due to the financial situation). Again, comments were a direct answer to the actual question asked by the poster. But thank you for telling us all how we should feel about it. Actually, I think everyone who has commented has been of the belief that it is, in fact, a very good schedule.

Would it make you feel better if I referred to schools that are "members of P5 conferences"? Is that easier to understand? Smh...pretty sure everyone in here is capable of understanding what I said and how to interpret it. Not sure why you feel like you have to give a history lesson on everything. 

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Aug 12th, 2021 10:40 am

MBB

Sat 12/4 - at Columbia