Hartford to D3?

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri Apr 9th, 2021 11:36 am

Of the 12 million loss, it would be helpful where it stems from.  Scholarships that are not offset by gait revenue, travel & Equipment or Facility Operations.

Having Merrimack take the slot will be a short-term wash, but the long-term implications could be catastrophic.  State revenues are going to be in the tank for years and subsidies to their colleges for sports will not be automatic, could be quite the opposite.

NCAA should look at colleges blending their levels.  D1 for hoops & football, D3 for all others.  You cut the scholarship costs and facilities are scaled down.  If football, then ? of volleybal, field hockey, softball to maintain gender compliance.  Great read.

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Apr 9th, 2021 1:04 pm
dunbar wrote:

It won`t be Merrimack. The conference is very adamant in their institutional model (public research) and if they really wanted MC, they would`ve added them over NJIT.

Northeastern (yes, private, but major research U), Delaware, and Towson could be raided from a CAA on life support to get to twelve, or you make the easy move and add CCSU to get back to ten.

I hear ya on each of those points....and this would set up the perfect scenario numbers wise to add those 3 schoools from the CAA.  I`m just not so sure that Delaware, Towson & Northeastern feel the same way.  Returning to AE would quite frankly be a bitter pill for them to swallow.  It makes total sense though.

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Apr 22nd, 2021 8:02 am

This mess gets worse and worse by the day. The fact that the UH administration won`t comment publically or deal with this in a urgent manner shows 1) they`ve already reached a decision and 2) don`t want to be held accountable for it. 

https://www.theday.com/article/20210421/SPORT01/210429878

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Thu Apr 22nd, 2021 8:49 am

Very informing article to read.  The University is losing 12 million a year and is blaming on sports that are only 14.5 million of the total budget is perplexing.  14.5 seems very low for a D1 university.

Posted by: hoopsisme on Thu Apr 22nd, 2021 9:57 pm

Hartford does not have football or ice hockey. If they did that would push their budget to a number like Maines just over 20 million

Posted by: dunbar on Mon Apr 26th, 2021 9:10 am

It`s not an athletic budget issue. Athletics are serving as the scapegoat here. The problem is that Hartford has seen a 10% reduction in enrollment since the current president took over, while schools like Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart have grown and become more appealing. 

https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-colleges-uhart-baseball-controversy-20210425-20210425-htnbhupeu5eqzc6mpis3npjk5a-story.html

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-university-hartford-finances-enrollment-20210425-ccl2loxr2ncsbaoa5s2osw5xiu-story.html

Posted by: dunbar on Thu May 6th, 2021 9:18 pm

Per New Haven Register, the Board of Regents voted to transition to Division III by September 2025.

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri May 7th, 2021 6:35 am
dunbar wrote:

Per New Haven Register, the Board of Regents voted to transition to Division III by September 2025.

That`s really too bad.  I would feel totally blindsided if I were a Hartford fan.

This could set things in motion for adding another member (or members) to America East.

Posted by: fafan on Fri May 7th, 2021 7:55 am
mainejeff wrote:

That`s really too bad.  I would feel totally blindsided if I were a Hartford fan.

This could set things in motion for adding another member (or members) to America East.

I don`t think there are many UHartford fans being a private school in a small state with a very strong state school followingWink