Basketball - UMaine men:

Posted by: MBR on Fri Sep 24th, 2021 4:50 am

A new chapter of Maine Basketball 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Sep 24th, 2021 6:29 am
dunbar wrote:

All low-mid majors play money games. 

The person who said the first four games would be telling was you, and then you disagree and say the opposite. 

The Stugotz is strong in you. Well done.

Thats right I did. So what? Big deal. He should not have scheduled those teams knowing the state of the program at this point. If your trying to build a winning attitude and a winning team why schedule them at all or at least schedule them later on in the season. I predict this team could be 0-4 at that juncture. I think all he has done is dug himself a bigger hole he won`t be able to get out of but will see. 

Posted by: BearDown on Fri Sep 24th, 2021 9:21 am
basketball_guy wrote:

Thats right I did. So what? Big deal. He should not have scheduled those teams knowing the state of the program at this point. If your trying to build a winning attitude and a winning team why schedule them at all or at least schedule them later on in the season. I predict this team could be 0-4 at that juncture. I think all he has done is dug himself a bigger hole he won`t be able to get out of but will see. 

*I`m not a basketball guy!!* One of their first 4 opponents is D3 and another is NAIA. And yes, I know we`ve lost these types of games a couple times before in the last 20+ years...but the thought that we lose both of those games seems wildly unlikely...it also won`t be "telling" in any way when we beat them.

Posted by: imposter on Fri Sep 24th, 2021 10:16 am

I don`t see Taylor Schildroth from GSA in the team photo or on the 2021-2022 roster. Does anyone know why he isn`t playing?

Posted by: parquetfloor on Fri Sep 24th, 2021 12:04 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

You do know that he has mandates as to how much guarantee money he has to bring in every year right? So he has to schedule 2 or 3 of those games at least so that money can help offset the budget issues they have. 

Why do you think football plays 2 FBS teams every year? They also need to bring in guarantee money to help offset budget issues. 

Lastly, scheduling them early in the year is great! Nobody is playing very good basketball to start the year and there really isn`t a better time of year to try and catch someone offguard. Absolutely no one will predict them to win those games at VT & Colorado. 

I am not an advocate of the D-III/NAIA games but at least they should give them a couple of wins, an opportunity to work on different sets an opportunity to play different lineups and get some PT for lots of players.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Sep 24th, 2021 8:08 pm

The problem is Barron is in his fourth year at Maine and despite his best efforts not much has changed. Yes they may beat Div 2 and NAIA opponents but surely they could have scheduled the Major programs later on in the season for his fourth season as coach. It does not make a lot of sense to me they would schedule them early. He needs some momentum going into the regular season, I don`t see how playing VT and Colorado at the start of the season is going to help his situation any. This is a new team and they are going to need all the wins they can get early on. Winning begets winning and Losing...well no sense going over that scenario we all know where that is going to lead at the end of the season. 

Maybe 2-2 after four games works but that is assuming they beat the NAIA and Division 2 rivals. He really needs to build some momentum and a winning attitude with this particular team if he wants to remain as Head Coach for a fifth year. 

Posted by: MBR on Thu Sep 30th, 2021 7:31 am

The Pit! Most of the exciting stuff will be 7:45-10:15. Wear a mask and sit upstairs

Posted by: MBR on Thu Oct 7th, 2021 5:18 am

National Coaches Day

Posted by: MBR on Fri Oct 8th, 2021 5:56 am

Stephane Ingo men’s basketball player profile