Basketball - UMaine men:

Posted by: MBR on Thu Sep 2nd, 2021 5:32 am
Posted by: dunbar on Thu Sep 2nd, 2021 7:31 am

https://goblackbears.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

The three non-DI games are, well, not great. However, the average number of Division I home games this program has had over the past seven years is 11.5. Things are slightly skewed now with NJIT joining the league and the extra two conference games. The road schedule isn`t that daunting and the six non-con roadies is the fewest in the same timeframe. Again, a product of the ten team league. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Thu Sep 2nd, 2021 8:02 am

I don`t understand how D1 teams in New England can`t schedule each other in another possible pandemic affected season.  The women`s team did it.

Posted by: MBR on Wed Sep 22nd, 2021 5:03 am

2021-22 Schedule is LIVE!

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Sep 22nd, 2021 7:43 am

I don`t hold out much hope for this season with Barron at the helm once again but will see. The first four games should be telling as to where this season is headed. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Wed Sep 22nd, 2021 9:14 am
basketball_guy wrote:

I don`t hold out much hope for this season with Barron at the helm once again but will see. The first four games should be telling as to where this season is headed. 

What?? The first 4 games should be telling?? They play on the road at 2 Power-5 schools (VT will be top 25 & Colorado most likely an NCAA Tourney team) and host 2 D-III schools. If anything, their real season doesn`t begin until game 5 vs Central Connecticut State. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Thu Sep 23rd, 2021 7:30 am

On paper Maine has improved the talent on their roster. They added some legitimate D1 players in: Efretui, Masic and Filipovity who may all start.  They can roll out some pretty imposing frontcourts: 7`1, 6`9, 6`7, if they choose to. I`m interested to see where the stand in the conference and if they are able to move up the ladder?  
We know Vermont & Stony Brook are going to be good and Albany brought in a ton of athletic transfer players and looks to improve.

I`d like to see Maine battle into that mid tier with UNH, Lowell & UMBC. Climb to around .500 in the conference and that would be a win.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Thu Sep 23rd, 2021 9:18 pm

It would be great to see Barron turn things around, but I am just not sure he can. Four years and I disagree the first four games are going to be telling. Are we to assume that Virginia Tech and Colorado are losses? Why schedule them then? For the money?  It can not be for the money, Maine is about to embark on a new facility for basketball (albeit a long time in coming), but with all the turnover in the coaching staff and the players over the last four years that is not good prospect for success. 

That being said I do see some improvement on the talentside, just not sure about this Coach or his new staff. It seems like all the prior Assistant Coaches had to fall on the sword for last season and the prior seasons and yet some of them have landed better jobs. That is also telling. 

Call me skeptical at this point, but I agree a mid tier landing for this Coach in the America East would be an enormous improvement from where Maine has been really for the last 10 years not just the last four. 

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Sep 23rd, 2021 10:25 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

It would be great to see Barron turn things around, but I am just not sure he can. Four years and I disagree the first four games are going to be telling. Are we to assume that Virginia Tech and Colorado are losses? Why schedule them then? For the money?  It can not be for the money, Maine is about to embark on a new facility for basketball (albeit a long time in coming), but with all the turnover in the coaching staff and the players over the last four years that is not good prospect for success. 

That being said I do see some improvement on the talentside, just not sure about this Coach or his new staff. It seems like all the prior Assistant Coaches had to fall on the sword for last season and the prior seasons and yet some of them have landed better jobs. That is also telling. 

Call me skeptical at this point, but I agree a mid tier landing for this Coach in the America East would be an enormous improvement from where Maine has been really for the last 10 years not just the last four. 

All low-mid majors play money games. 

The person who said the first four games would be telling was you, and then you disagree and say the opposite. 

The Stugotz is strong in you. Well done.