OT: High praise for Mackenzie Holmes

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Mar 31st, 2021 12:42 pm

Cindy B. clearly remains in the conversation.  Folks like me believe Lisa B. played during the rise of women athletes in basketball, therefore a strong talent pool spread over less teams.  And, started point and won a national championship for a powerhouse of her era.

If you loved hoops, you love watching Cindy play.  But, putting results at say UCONN is pure speculation and should not weigh into her actual career of playing in the AE, a rung below where MH is playing, plus making the Elite 8, weigh beyond Maine`s successes.

I do agree as in Nik CM, his professional sets the bar on the Maine men`s on being the best.  No one close.  If, and I believe MH gets drafted into the WBNA along with Anna D., they will achieve a higher success than Cindy.  No question that Cindy put Maine on a national spectrum to help all those who followed.  There can only be one first to accomplish that,  Cindy gets that in her bio from my perspective.  No wrongs in this group, just preferences. 

Posted by: BoutrosBoutrosGhali on Wed Mar 31st, 2021 1:14 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

Cindy is the best female basketball player this state has ever produced. While it is nice to see Holmes have success, she is not in the same league as Cindy. Blodgett would`ve started and averaged 20 ppg for UConn had she chosen to accept their scholarship offer.

Just to put into perspective what you`re claiming, if Blodgett had averaged 20 PPG in her career at UConn (and assuming the Huskies played the same number of games), that would have put her as the program`s second all-time leading scorer at 2,880 points. Ahead of Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Rebecca Lobo, and every other UConn Huskie except for Maya Moore. There have been only five seasons in UConn history where a player averaged more than 20 PPG. 

It`s just really difficult to translate what Blodgett did in the America East to what she would have done at a national powerhouse like UConn. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Wed Mar 31st, 2021 1:46 pm
ExpoEddie wrote:

Cindy B. clearly remains in the conversation.  Folks like me believe Lisa B. played during the rise of women athletes in basketball, therefore a strong talent pool spread over less teams.  And, started point and won a national championship for a powerhouse of her era.

If you loved hoops, you love watching Cindy play.  But, putting results at say UCONN is pure speculation and should not weigh into her actual career of playing in the AE, a rung below where MH is playing, plus making the Elite 8, weigh beyond Maine`s successes.

I do agree as in Nik CM, his professional sets the bar on the Maine men`s on being the best.  No one close.  If, and I believe MH gets drafted into the WBNA along with Anna D., they will achieve a higher success than Cindy.  No question that Cindy put Maine on a national spectrum to help all those who followed.  There can only be one first to accomplish that,  Cindy gets that in her bio from my perspective.  No wrongs in this group, just preferences. 

You do realize Cindy was chosen 6th overall in the WNBA right? You do realize she turned down scholarship offers to Notre Dame, Colorado (Final Four team at that time) and a whole host of other top programs right? She was also an AP 3rd team All-American as a senior. MVP at the US Olympic Festival. As an upperclassman she was usually face-guarded or double teamed by the opponent. 

People just think about her scoring. She got a ton of steals because of her intelligence and reading situations, slicing through passing lanes. She got a ton of boards, esp for someone with her physical stature, which by the way, she was much much stronger than she looked. She had a ton of assists, several that were no-look passes or just creating a great angle for a post entry. 

To put anybody that is currently playing above her is quite ridiculous. Nobody has even come close to the achievements she did, in college or playing with the very best players in the country in their age group in Colorado with our USA team hopefuls. 

Holmes is very talented and doing great things at IU. But to put her above Blodgett at this time is completely false. 

I wish Mackenzie Holmes nothing but the best moving forward. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Mar 31st, 2021 3:05 pm

Yeesh....comparing 2 different types of players (guard vs. frontcourt) from 2 different eras (separated by 25 years).  I don`t know who the "best" is/was.....but both had/have had tremendous accomplishments....with Holmes still adding to hers.

I think that it`s pretty apparent that girls high school basketball in Maine is now on the national map when it comes to D1 recruiting.  There may not be a ton of players on a yearly basis....but the creme of the crop can definitely compete at the D1 level.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Mar 31st, 2021 4:05 pm

Cindy is the best female basketball player this state has ever produced. While it is nice to see Holmes have success, she is not in the same league as Cindy. Blodgett would`ve started and averaged 20 ppg for UConn had she chosen to accept their scholarship offer.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Thu Apr 1st, 2021 12:06 pm

I rechecked my original post and did indicate MacKezie was on a path to becoming possibly the best Maine female player and I feel it still holds merit.  Cindy UConn again has zero merit.  We could say MH would score 30+ if at Maine, but holds no credence.  While CB`s accomplishment of getting drafted #6 in the WBNA, her college success did not translate to the pros. 

I do wish her coaching career at Maine had been a success.  If anyone deserved to be a success, Cindy was it.  It would be awesome to see her re-emerge and enjoy what JoAnne and Amy have had as coaches.  And, since I was fortunate to have seen Lisa Blais and Cindy B. play at the high school and college, LB would be MacKenzie`s last person to pass to get to the top.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 11:39 am
ExpoEddie wrote:

I rechecked my original post and did indicate MacKezie was on a path to becoming possibly the best Maine female player and I feel it still holds merit.  Cindy UConn again has zero merit.  We could say MH would score 30+ if at Maine, but holds no credence.  While CB`s accomplishment of getting drafted #6 in the WBNA, her college success did not translate to the pros. 

I do wish her coaching career at Maine had been a success.  If anyone deserved to be a success, Cindy was it.  It would be awesome to see her re-emerge and enjoy what JoAnne and Amy have had as coaches.  And, since I was fortunate to have seen Lisa Blais and Cindy B. play at the high school and college, LB would be MacKenzie`s last person to pass to get to the top.

I don`t get why Cindy`s lack of pro success is a factor. Last I checked, nobody from Maine has any more experience in the pros here in the USA than she does, not even Blais. While I have also seen both of them play, I don`t get why you still hold LB over CB. I mean, no statistical measure I can look at has them even remotely close. 

Blais was never an All-American, never scored much (514 career pts at ODU in 125 games), didn`t dish out a ton of assts (314 in career, with 158 in her senior season so basically matched her 3 prior years), never made an all-conference team, etc. She played on an excellent team in college, where she had a couple of All-Americans do most of the work. Blodgett actually was that person that had to do the work. Her career numbers have been published enough, but just one last time: 25.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.1 apg and 2.8 steals/game in 118 career games. All-around player, not just a scorer.  

I would leave it at this. At no time in college, did anyone have to prepare a game plan to figure out how to deal with LB. Every single game that Blodgett played, the opponent had to prepare a game plan around how to deal with her. And while that may not have happened as often at a Notre Dame or UConn, she would have most definitely been on the scouting report. Plus, with just single coverage and others taking pressure off her shoulders, it would have freed her up to do more.

I hate that I have to almost bring LB "down" because she is clearly among the very best to ever lace them up in the women`s game in Maine, but I just don`t see any comparison.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Holmes. Look for big things from her this upcoming season. It appears as though her PG Patberg will be returning for her 7th collegiate season. Call me crazy, but that is beyond ridiculous. Sat a year for injury, sat a year when she transferred, and now because of covid she is going to get to play a 7th year. She entered college in the fall of 2015. Good grief...

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 12:13 pm

parquetfloor.  I absolutely agree no one has matched or exceeded Cindy`d pro career.  I was making a comment that Maine has possibly two players that could possibly get drafted and what their careers would look like.

With LB her era was a far different game and similiar to Sarah Marshall, gave up scoring to be the point.  But, neither of them could score like Cindy.  Lisa is the only female that I either saw or played with that played like a guy.  While she did not get All American status as a hoop player, she did in high school in Track & Field and was a physical force like none we had seen.  Since the bulk of my playing years was without the three point shot, I lean into that time in a bias way for sure.  Appreciate your willingness to share Cindy`s entire career in a very detailed manner.  It needs to be remembered and retold for years to come.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 2:53 pm

IU Ladies could lose any game in tournament if opponent is to leverage them out of sink or your right final 4 possibility…Sweet 16 likely…elite 8 is also possibility. T. Moren and staff recruiting was pretty creative finding and getting Mac to sign with IU Ladies. It is a good story. Mac was a high level borderline 4/5 star recruit but I don’t think she was considered top elite at the major programs but a player who had a dream, ability and work ethic to go with it…then at IU a coaching staff to go with that. She has done very well and exceeded expectations at IU