Dor Sarr Transfering

Posted by: hoopsisme on Mon Mar 29th, 2021 10:56 am

Dor has entered the transfer portal to play her final year.

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Mar 29th, 2021 11:06 am

Well we knew she was not returning so this doesn`t come as a big surprise....other than Israel granting her another year of deferred military service.

I think that Dor could struggle at a top level P5 program.  A-10/CAA would be a good spot for her IMO.  I`m sure that she will get plenty of interest.  She has a great basketball mind with "quick" hands....but she is not quick afoot and could struggle defensively against quicker/taller guards at a higher level.  She was the glue for Maine though and had an incredible career for the Bears.....all the best to her!

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Mar 29th, 2021 5:59 pm

Although Dor is one of the best true point guards to play at Maine, she would be a light minute back up PG at a Power 5 School. Even at the A-10 or CAA level, that slight uptick in athleticism and size will really pose a problem for her. I hope she finds a school where she can continue to start And thrive. There are plenty of good mid to Lower level conferences like: MAAC, Horizon, West Coast, Sun Belt etc. I wish her well wherever she lands.

Posted by: UMaineSuperfan on Thu Apr 1st, 2021 10:57 am

I`m a bit confused. If she`s sticking around for a fifth year I wonder why she`s leaving? One would assume it`s to move WAY up in competition level. If she ends up at another mid-tier conference just for a change of scenery that`s going to sting a bit.

Posted by: turkeyman on Thu Apr 1st, 2021 12:30 pm

UMSF, agree completely. Not sure how much her talent will enable her to rise in competition level.

I never would have thought Julie Brosseau would do much in a P5 conference, and she didn`t at Utah. But at Kansas, she started four or five games and was third-leading scorer. To be sure, she started because KU lost guards to the COVID protocols. But when the chips were down in a game, Brosseau wasn`t often on the floor. She did finally get significant minutes at KU, bearing in mind that KU wasn`t very good this year.

Dor`s value, seems to me, is in her ability to train a younger point guard. And I can`t think of anywhere that she could do that better than at Maine. The Black Bears have some good guards coming up, and someone will become the starting point. That someone could do a lot worse than learning from Dor.

As the game has developed, Dor turned out not be be good at dribble penetration because so many towered over her. She was too easy to block coming down the lane. She wasn`t super fast afoot, but she was just as fast after 40 minutes as at the start. Really good stamina. Her three-point shot developed wonderfully well by junior year, and she might help some other team as a spot-up three-point shooter. But I`m not sure she`ll be happy coming off someone else`s bench to drop a couple of treys and then going back to the pine.

Seems that Coach Vachon knew some time ago that this was coming. She had a note of finality as she talked about the seniors not coming back, except for Maeve.

I have seen a couple of wbb players this season who entered the transfer portal and then decided to stay where they were. One can hope, can`t one? 

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Thu Apr 1st, 2021 12:31 pm

If she moves to an upper tier conference, I don`t think it`s going to go particularly well in terms of production and playing time. Dor has the ball handling and passing chops to get some time as a backup. I just don`t see how she will score against 5`10 to 6`0 guards. I think she could have a role, but I doubt that is how she wants to cap off her college career? My guess is a move to a stronger mid major as MJ mentioned, would be in her best interest.  
I`m ready to give Alba 30 plus minutes and watch her grow. The aspects she needs to improve on are shooting and ball handling. Orois is a plus defender and very good at attacking the basket and drawing fouls. I thought her passing improved as the season progressed.

Posted by: mainah57 on Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 11:56 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

If she moves to an upper tier conference, I don`t think it`s going to go particularly well in terms of production and playing time. Dor has the ball handling and passing chops to get some time as a backup. I just don`t see how she will score against 5`10 to 6`0 guards. I think she could have a role, but I doubt that is how she wants to cap off her college career? My guess is a move to a stronger mid major as MJ mentioned, would be in her best interest.  
I`m ready to give Alba 30 plus minutes and watch her grow. The aspects she needs to improve on are shooting and ball handling. Orois is a plus defender and very good at attacking the basket and drawing fouls. I thought her passing improved as the season progressed.

Orois definitely has huge upside and plays with a lot of confidence for a freshman. Some room for growth in her decision-making in the game, but I think she will step in to the PG role well and I think she has upside as a shooter as well.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Apr 7th, 2021 1:26 pm

The other piece that makes this strange is players stay beacuse getting either a 2nd major or their Master`s is paved out for them as they had made connections with professors and programs. 

Her resume does not support jumping to a higher ranked conference will bear fruit as far as playing time.  On one hand, she literally wants a change of scenery from Maine winters before she has to return to serve her country.