(Spring) Week 5 - Villanova

Posted by: MaineBlackBearFan on Sat Apr 3rd, 2021 2:23 pm

Should just cancel rest of season nothing to play for.  Why risk getting players hurt and miss the fall season. 

Posted by: BearDown on Sat Apr 3rd, 2021 6:04 pm
MaineBlackBearFan wrote:

Should just cancel rest of season nothing to play for.  Why risk getting players hurt and miss the fall season. 

Too much opportunity for growth the last game (or two hopefully) from our younger guys, special teams at full speed, game management, etc. etc. to end things now if there`s an opportunity to play. We did suck the big one today though -that was ugly. Yuck.

Posted by: BearDown on Sat Apr 3rd, 2021 6:08 pm

And honestly, Ryan has had a year and a half now to audition his version of Defense. It`s not working.

Posted by: BlackBearDrumline on Sat Apr 3rd, 2021 9:53 pm

Positives

Not many. Easily the worst performance front to back all season.

-O-line was again consistent, they bent but didn`t break too much.

-Freddie Brock and Zavier Scott both had breakout games. Monios looked good too. It`s nice to have some semblance of offensive threat outside of Andre Miller. It was way too easy for Nova to gameplan us by nullifying Miller.

-In garbage time the 2s and 3s actually looked quite good. A lot of them played better than the starters. Obviously small sample size, but it gives me optimism about our depth for the fall. 

Negatives:

-Joe Fagnano. He was uncharacteristically bad today––inaccurate, scared to use his legs, a lot of balls mistimed or underthrown.

-Play-calling. I don`t pretend to be a master tactician, but some of the plays were genuinely puzzling. That fake punt was brutal––what is the logic in desigining a run play when it`s 4th & 9? I also am curious why we didn`t take more shots downfield. Nova`s DB obviously was struggling to contain Miller (hence the 4 or 5 PI flags against him) so why didn`t we try to capitalize on it?

-Run defense. Teams consistently run through us like a wet paper bag. We were completely inept against Nova`s RBs and it starts with our D-Line. 

-Penalties. It`s improving, but still too many. 

Ultimately I thought this would be a very hard game no matter what, but the performance was still disappointing. We do have an extraordinarily young team though, and if the tough spring learning curve prepares us better for the fall losses like this will be worth it.

Posted by: dunbar on Sun Apr 4th, 2021 8:28 am

Maine is now 0-6 coming off of a bye in the Harasymiak/Charlton era.

The last time Maine won the game coming off a bye week was November 8, 2014, a 33-20 home win over #8 Richmond.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sun Apr 4th, 2021 8:53 am

Fagnano is a streaky, timing & rhythm passer. Once he gets rolling, he`s hard to defend. He never looked comfortable yesterday.The bye did nothing for him. Happy feet in the pocket and playing like a scared rabbit. I thought the Maine OLine did a fine job overall with their pass & run blocking.

What was the deal with Barnwell? He busted a nice gain early and was never heard from again?

I`ll echo what Bear Down said about the defense. It was a total vanilla game plan. They had one Of their linebackers spying Smith for fear of his scrambling ability. They still have not been able to generate any pressure on the QB. This is not the attacking style defense we have seen from Maine Football in the past. They were scared as hell to send a safety or corner on a blitz.  I was very disappointed with Maine`s tackling at the second level. The linebackers did not play very well.  Too many missed tackles. Our safeties & corners were left in coverage for too long due to the lack of pressure.

Special teams...meh. Brian Cooey is not getting the job done on kickoffs. Nova is kicking to the goal line or out of the end zone and Maine is kicking pop ups to the 15 or 20. Field position was easily in Nova`s favor throughout the game.

Nova is a damn good team but Maine did not play to their potential. All the momentum Maine generated in the last 2 games was lost. It seemed like the entire operating system was very rusty.

Posted by: BlackBearDrumline on Sun Apr 4th, 2021 1:14 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

Fagnano is a streaky, timing & rhythm passer. Once he gets rolling, he`s hard to defend. He never looked comfortable yesterday.The bye did nothing for him. Happy feet in the pocket and playing like a scared rabbit. I thought the Maine OLine did a fine job overall with their pass & run blocking.

What was the deal with Barnwell? He busted a nice gain early and was never heard from again?

I`ll echo what Bear Down said about the defense. It was a total vanilla game plan. They had one Of their linebackers spying Smith for fear of his scrambling ability. They still have not been able to generate any pressure on the QB. This is not the attacking style defense we have seen from Maine Football in the past. They were scared as hell to send a safety or corner on a blitz.  I was very disappointed with Maine`s tackling at the second level. The linebackers did not play very well.  Too many missed tackles. Our safeties & corners were left in coverage for too long due to the lack of pressure.

Special teams...meh. Brian Cooey is not getting the job done on kickoffs. Nova is kicking to the goal line or out of the end zone and Maine is kicking pop ups to the 15 or 20. Field position was easily in Nova`s favor throughout the game.

Nova is a damn good team but Maine did not play to their potential. All the momentum Maine generated in the last 2 games was lost. It seemed like the entire operating system was very rusty.

I was curious too about Barnwell`s absence. Maybe he picked up an injury?

Where do you think the problems lie in our defense? Is it the scheme? Bad coaching? The group`s overall inexperience? 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sun Apr 4th, 2021 5:13 pm

Drumline- the defensive issues are in part coaching & scheme, but they are lacking talent as well.  In years past, we`ve had those 1 or 2 guys who would consistently win those one on one matchups on the edge.  Thus far, no one has emerged as a true difference maker. Our edge guys (Wiley, Manns, Smith-Cobb etc) aren`t getting to the quarterback.  Ryan the DC seems relunctant to dial up creative blitzes using linebackers and secondary guys to generate pressure.  I think Stevens is still not at full speed and he was used on the edge some on 3rd downs and as a blitzer from the LB position.  He hasnt made a ton of plays in the backfield.  Taji Lowe was a key cog and took some pressure off of Otero and others, so they are feeling that loss a little more than I anticipated.  Corey Heatherman was also a damn good DC.  He knew his opponents inside and out and did a lot of teaching and adjusting in-game. We took a step backwards when he left for JMU.  There are still a lot of young guys in the D-line rotation and the upper classmen don`t have a ton of playing experience.  There is still room for them to grow and improve.

Posted by: maine612 on Mon Apr 5th, 2021 1:48 pm

nothing to add here that hasn`t already been posted.  What a dissapointment on Saturday.