(Spring) Week 3 - at Stony Brook

Posted by: BlackBearDrumline on Sat Mar 20th, 2021 4:26 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

After an ugly first first half for the Maine offense, Fagnano & Miller led them back & looked pretty darn good. Maine`s defense held up well. I was impressed with Maine`s secondary. They have a nice rotation of players. Benito Speight did nice job at corner with tight coverage and good ball skills. Stony Brook never got into a rhythm. They shot themselves in the foot with penalties throughout the game. Maine avoided big plays for the most part other than the ball over Rich Carr`s head. Maine also won the turnover battle and finally got some production from the front 4 against the pass. Manns and Wiley were pretty disruptive on the edge. Bye week coming and then Nova. The Wildcats give up some points, but are highly explosive on offense. We`ll see if we can contain dual threat QB Daniel Smith.

I agree. I was really pleased with the improvements coming into the second half, Maine looked aggressive and the most polished we`ve seen all season (WAY fewer penalties against us)

I had my doubts about our DB crew after Manny graduated and Katley Joseph and Shaquille St-Lot opted out, but they`ve really shined so far. Picking up Benito Speight out of a tiny JUCO was really shrewd scouting. 

Hopefully the team can rest up and heal in the bye week though, because Villanova is going to be a very tough game. 

Also, does anyone know what`s the story with that fight that broke out? Does Rymer have to sit out next game?

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sat Mar 20th, 2021 5:51 pm

I`m pretty sure if you get tossed from a game, you`re out the next game. That play was totally unnecessary and was on the backside of Barnwell`s outside zone to the left. Rhymer just lost his mind on that one.  That kid is super athletic. A really good high school basketball player. I`m hoping he rebounds from this mistake and carves out a bigger role on the team going forward. I`ve always hoped they would deploy both Rhymer and Bowman on some sets that appear like run formations and leak both out into the secondary with linebackers covering.

Posted by: fafan on Sat Mar 20th, 2021 9:56 pm

Wow this Miller to Fagnano combination is really something and with Barnwell stepping up in the backfield the offense looks pretty good. The defensive backfield has really stepped as mentioned. What an improvement in play!!!

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Mar 20th, 2021 10:13 pm

Just keep playing....and winning!  

The CAA is gonna be a mess in the end.  UNH has already cancelled next weekend`s Villanova game and their fans are already throwing in the towel on the spring season.  Maine most likely will not be playing the season finale vs. UNH so the remaning games vs. Villanova and URI are very important!  Maine would have a decent shot of receiving an at-large berth with a 4-1 record in the CAA.

It will be a very interesting playoff selection process!

Posted by: dunbar on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 8:04 am
mainejeff wrote:

Just keep playing....and winning!  

The CAA is gonna be a mess in the end.  UNH has already cancelled next weekend`s Villanova game and their fans are already throwing in the towel on the spring season.  Maine most likely will not be playing the season finale vs. UNH so the remaning games vs. Villanova and URI are very important!  Maine would have a decent shot of receiving an at-large berth with a 4-1 record in the CAA.

It will be a very interesting playoff selection process!

The CAA should do the smart thing and move the Maine-Villanova game up to this week. If the concern is getting games in, don`t pass up this opportunity and try to reschedule Villanova-New Hampshire for April 3 and have Maine take their bye then.

Posted by: fafan on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 8:32 am
dunbar wrote:

The CAA should do the smart thing and move the Maine-Villanova game up to this week. If the concern is getting games in, don`t pass up this opportunity and try to reschedule Villanova-New Hampshire for April 3 and have Maine take their bye then.

Great idea Dunbar, is this being discussed or just a Dunbar thoughtWink

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 9:31 am

I can`t imagine trying to keep 100+ players & staff COVID free more 2 months.....almost impossible.

Posted by: maine612 on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 11:00 am

What a game Saturday.  I enjoyed it very much.  Fagnano looks like the real deal.  Let`s keep it rolling!

Posted by: fafan on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 12:04 pm

4/19, lineup the team for vaccinations!!!!!Laughing