Class A North 2021-2022

Posted by: ClassANorthFan on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 9:28 am

Here is my outlook for the Class A north 2021-2022 season. Obviously, this past season was unlike any other we have seen with a limited schedule, no tournament, and several changes due to COVID-19.  Because of the unbalanced schedules I take little stock in what took place last year. Below is my predicated order of finish, outlook, and top players to watch.

Class A North Rankings:

1.       Brewer

2.       Skowhegan

3.       Medomak Valley

4.       Hampden Academy

5.       Mt. Blue

6.       Cony

7.       Nokomi

8.       Gardiner

9.       Camden Hills

10.   Messalonskee

11.   Lawrence

12.   Erskine

Outlook: Brewer would have been my pick last season, and it doesn’t change this season. Brewer does lose one of the top players in Dylan Huff to graduation but return one of the most veteran teams in the region. Aaron Newcomb is one of the top shooters in the state, Colby Smith is one of the top point guards. Brewer basically runs 5 guards that can all shoot, pass and rebound. They are one of the most difficult teams to prepare for because on any given night someone can get the hot hand. Skowhegan might be the biggest team in the state with 3 guys 6’5 or taller. Adam Savage has emerged as one of if not the best centers in region. Twin brothers Colin and Kyle Lepage give Skowhegan dominant post play that few teams can matchup with. The key for Skowhegan is guard play and Senior Levi Obert is one of the best shooters in the region. Medomak Valley has arguably maybe the best 1,2,3 punch in the region with 4-year starters Patrick McKenny, Jacob Bickmore and Trevor Brown. The key for the Panthers will be put some pieces around them. If they do Medomak will be extremely tough to beat.  Hampden also returns a veteran team led by player of the year Candidate T.J. Heneghen.  Landon Gabric is one of the more versatile players in the region with his size to play inside or out. Do not sleep on Hampden they will be tough come tournament time. Perhaps no team was dramatically affected by COVID-19 than the Mt. Blue Cougars who saw their 3 top players transfer a year ago in Jacob Farnham to Hyde, and Camden Phillips and Bradley Shamba both to Spruce Mountain. Because of that it gave younger players a chance to step up. Mt. Blue returns all 5 starters led by Juniors Zach Poisson and Chandler Briggs. Sophomore Evans Sterling is a young player on the rise. The Cougars could be a dark horse come tourney time. Rounding out the field is Cony with the return player of the year Candidate in Luke Briggs. Cony will once again be one of the most athletic teams in the region and will pressure you for 32 minutes. Camden Hills is led by Ryan Clifford and Liam O’Neal and should contend for a tournament spot. Perhaps the hardest team to gauge is Nokomis who have arguably one of the most talked about players in a long time in   Freshman Cooper Flagg who has already been getting looks by D-1 Schools, but besides him the Warriors return an experienced group led by Grady Hartsgrove, Jakob Noyes and outstanding Junior Madden White. This is a team you better beat early and this year because the future is very bright for the Warriors. Gardiner returns player of the year candidate in Kalvin Catchings and fellow big man Ryan Moore but will need some players to step up around him to get the Tigers back to Augusta. Messalonskee, Lawrence and Erskine were all hut by Graduation and will look to fill some big shoes. I see this region pretty balanced. I do not see a dominant favorite; however, I believe on paper Brewer and Skowhegan are slightly above everyone else to start the season.

25 players to watch (in no order)

Aaron Newcomb-Brewer

Colby Smith-Brewer

Brady Saunders-Brewer

Patrick Mckenney-Medomak Valley

Jacob Bickmore-Medomak Valley

Trevor Brown-Medomak Valley

Adam Savage-Skowhegan

Colin Lepage-Skowhegan

Levi Obert-Skowhegan

T.J. Heneghen-Hampden

Landon Gabric-Hampden

Zach Poisson-Mt. Blue

Chandler Briggs-Mt. Blue

Luke Briggs-Cony

Brayden Barbeau-Cony

Cooper Flagg-Nokomis

Madden White-Nokomis

Ryan Clifford-Camden Hills

Liam 0’Neal-Camden Hills

Calvin Catchings-Gardiner

Ryan Moore-Gardiner

Reece Gardiner-Messalonskee

Andrew Trombley-Lawrence

Joshua Bonsant-Erskine

Let`s Hope we have as close to a normal season as possible!

Posted by: tommydon101 on Wed Mar 17th, 2021 12:05 pm

Heard Medomak was B  South, No?

Posted by: interloper on Wed Mar 17th, 2021 1:03 pm

If the classifications committee does not change the present enrollment cut-offs, Medomak will be B. Also Hampden will be AA.

Posted by: ClassANorthFan on Thu Mar 18th, 2021 10:16 am

that would certainly change things. who would move into A north?

Medomak in B south would be the favorite in my opinion.

Posted by: ClassANorthFan on Thu Mar 18th, 2021 10:17 am

do you have a link for the enw enrollment cutoffs?

Posted by: ClassANorthFan on Mon May 17th, 2021 12:34 pm

Updated after reclassification changes,AAU and transfers. I will update again after the summer.

1.Brewer

2. Skowhegan

3.Nokomis

4. Mt. Blue

5. Cony

6. Gardiner

7. Camden Hills

8. Lawrence

9. Messalonskee

10, Erskine