AE Coaching Changes

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Mon Mar 1st, 2021 8:53 am

With Albany(Brown) and Binghamton(Dempsey) being relieved of their head coaching duties, what other AE jobs open? 
ODom and Becker are hot names for a lot of jobs as well.

With Maine losing at 10 guys off of this years roster, Does Maine stay the course or join the movement in conference?

Could the conference have new head coaches at half the schools?

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Mar 1st, 2021 9:56 am
MaineFan2019 wrote:

With Albany(Brown) and Binghamton(Dempsey) being relieved of their head coaching duties, what other AE jobs open? 
ODom and Becker are hot names for a lot of jobs as well.

With Maine losing at 10 guys off of this years roster, Does Maine stay the course or join the movement in conference?

Could the conference have new head coaches at half the schools?

Are you saying that 10 players are leaving the UM men`s basketball program?

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Mar 1st, 2021 1:25 pm

If there is wholesale turnover on the Maine roster as 2019 fan suggests, than I think we will see a change at Maine.  Will Brown would be the first person I would call.  Im sure Binghamton would love to have him.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Mar 1st, 2021 2:00 pm

Well, Yagodin is officially out on verbal commits. maybe the first of many to drop?

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Mon Mar 1st, 2021 9:49 pm

BZ, yes. Since classes resumed in August, I believe the # of players who have departed via transfer,opted not to come back or being removed from program is 9. Believe there is one more as well, but havent seen anything official. 

Nedja

Randell

Veljko

Solomon

Misha

Wol

Vilgot

Precious

Miks

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Mar 1st, 2021 9:52 pm
MaineFan2019 wrote:

BZ, yes. Since classes resumed in August, I believe the # of players who have departed via transfer,opted not to come back or being removed from program is 9. Believe there is one more as well, but havent seen anything official. 

Nedja

Randell

Veljko

Solomon

Misha

Wol

Vilgot

Precious

Miks

All of those players are gone?  I have not seen 4 of them even mentioned yet.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Mar 2nd, 2021 7:43 am

While these departures are never good for stability and consistency, it sounds like a couple of key performers (Duhart & Ingo) will be back. Adetogun and Wright-McLeish have been inconsistent but show potential. Turgut played decently when called upon this year. Taylor Schildroth has worked hard as a walk on and made himself into a serviceable back up point guard.  Others on the roster include: Matt Fleming, who sat out the season with an injury, and walk ons Leyton Bickford & Matias Prock. Looks like around 8 roster spots will be open. Maybe 6 scholarships and 2 walk on? Only 1 player officially signed in the class of 21-22 (Novak Perovic). 
Coach Barron still has 2 years left on his contract. Would the administration consider a buy out using money from the Alfond Fund? Seems like a stretch. These departures will Leave Maine in scramble mode for juco and grad transfers who can lend some experience to a depleted and young returning roster. I don`t think they will bring in a ton of freshmen this late in the game.

Posted by: CoachA on Tue Mar 2nd, 2021 2:18 pm

Random thought....Some transferring athletes are those who think they are much better than what they are. They think they should be at an elite program when they are exactly at the level they should be. Just sayin`.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Mar 2nd, 2021 2:26 pm

Coach A, you make a good point. I think with these departures you will see guys moving down to D2 or D3 schools seeking more playing time. Larsson is the one guy who might find a D1 grad transfer option.