(Spring) Week 1 - at Delaware

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 7:37 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

Maine always seems to have a slow start every season but eventually they turn things around. Cool

Things can only get better and I also don`t think being off for really a year+ well lets just say you can see the rust with this team due to covid. 

Spring football is just not a great idea in my opinion. 

Yet Delaware played like a well oiled machine....go figure.

Posted by: Archer Bunker on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 9:06 pm

Ouch! Not good. I got a feeling that spring time is not going to be very good for UMO. Possible 0-6 and everyone screaming for new coaches when the season ends.

AB

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 9:20 pm

Maine always seems to have a slow start every season but eventually they turn things around. Cool

Things can only get better and I also don`t think being off for really a year+ well lets just say you can see the rust with this team due to covid. 

Spring football is just not a great idea in my opinion. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 11:02 pm
Archer Bunker wrote:

Ouch! Not good. I got a feeling that spring time is not going to be very good for UMO. Possible 0-6 and everyone screaming for new coaches when the season ends.

AB

No....just better preparation and discipline.  Too much to ask?

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Mar 7th, 2021 8:33 am

Hey Tom this thing is reposting our posts. Not sure what is going on

Posted by: maine612 on Mon Mar 8th, 2021 8:55 am

That was indeed painful in every way.  Hard to think you are eliminated after one week, but it sure feels that way.  Goals now should be to develop as many players as possible for the fall season and not get hurt.  

Go Maine!

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Mar 8th, 2021 10:22 am
maine612 wrote:

That was indeed painful in every way.  Hard to think you are eliminated after one week, but it sure feels that way.  Goals now should be to develop as many players as possible for the fall season and not get hurt.  

Go Maine!

Amen to that.  

I feel the same way....just get the little things right:

1. Show up to sidelines on time.

2. Try to have more yardage in offense than penalty yardage.

3. Avoid injuries.

4. Develop players and depth for fall season.

Posted by: thebam on Mon Mar 8th, 2021 12:48 pm

Win , lose or draw, this spring football schedule is a great thing! Anyone who would think differently simply has no clue. This is way better than 30 practices at half speed that you usually get in the spring.  All the players keep their eligibility if they want it going into fall. This will only make the program better for when the real season starts in September.  This should be looked at going forward. INstead of spring " practice" , play a short , regional schedule of 3-4 games in April ... 

Posted by: BlackBear06 on Tue Mar 9th, 2021 7:43 am

Maine needs to find an identity on offense and fast, because it doesn`t get any easier with Undercuffler and Albany coming to Orono on Saturday. It looked like they thought they could pound the rock with Barnwell behind an OL they like, but they were stuffed by the smaller Delaware front and Barnwell looked slow and timid. Plus, putting Fagnano under center is coaching malpractice. Coach Charlton should apologize for ever putting him under center. Fagnano threw for 455 yards against FBS Liberty last year slinging the ball around and running zone read from the option. Let him run it and sling it!

Also, the Special Teams Coordinator should have been left in Newark, Delaware. Muffed punts, kickoff returns, embarrassing. Maine had hopes of being a playoff team and/or competing for the CAA North title, but now it looks like they could go 0-6 unless they turn things around in a hurry. Lets try at least showing up to the sideline on time this week.