End of MBB Season

Posted by: basketball_guy on Mon Feb 15th, 2021 9:08 pm
turkeyman wrote:

Two facts need to be pointed out here, `Bama.

Joanne Palombo took over a program that the previous year had gone 20-9 under Trish Roberts. In four years, Roberts was 82-32, so Joanne was taking over a program already strong.  

Richard Barron (note spelling) took over a program that had gone 7-25 uinder Bob Walsh. His record in four years at Maine was 24-100. Barron took over a program that had been in distress for at least a decade.

So, let`s compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Bob Neal, New Sharon

I have read your post. I am a native of Maine so just because I may have gone to Bama does not mean anything. I am curious I have read your posts but did you ever play at the Division 1 level? I was at Maine before I was at Alabama. None of this matters anyway. It is not like winning basketball is not possible at Maine. It has been before. 

I think your posts are interesting. And I know a number of people have a lot of respect for your posts. Joanne was a great Coach but people knew that immediately. I doubt that Maine will do the right thing here and replace Barron. We will probably have to put up with another year of losing. 

There is no magic ball when it comes to Coaching. Things can not be this bad at MaIne. Maybe it is a culture problem. Money issues have always been a problem at Maine even when I was a player on the JV team, but this idea that there is some major difference between Maine and Alabama when it comes to basketball. Not really, yes Maine has a facilities issue, but hopefully that gets resolved soon. Covid is a problem across the board, not just a Maine issue. 

All I see is a bunch of people making excuses when it really is a Coaching issue that needs to be changed. 

I am not going to say anymore about this. I think this is why Bob does not waste his time on this board any longer. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Mon Feb 15th, 2021 9:59 pm

After 8 years of hiring Coaches from Rhode Island and North Carolina (Creeches decision), maybe its time to Hire a top High School Coach from the State of Maine for a change who is a native already. He certainly is not going to do any worse than Tweeting Bob and Barron. And the other thing the two Coaches who have had success at UMAINE in basketball are both natives. Vachon from Augusta and Joanne from Brunswick. I don`t see why that philosophy can not work for the MENS program in basketball. 

Certainly some top high school coach could do well at the State University in his home state for a change. There has to be one in the entire state who is deserving of such a challenge for a change. It would certainly bring in more fans for a change. He might even recruit a few players from Maine and New England whose names you can remember. 

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Mon Feb 15th, 2021 10:50 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

I have read your post. I am a native of Maine so just because I may have gone to Bama does not mean anything. I am curious I have read your posts but did you ever play at the Division 1 level? I was at Maine before I was at Alabama. None of this matters anyway. It is not like winning basketball is not possible at Maine. It has been before. 

I think your posts are interesting. And I know a number of people have a lot of respect for your posts. Joanne was a great Coach but people knew that immediately. I doubt that Maine will do the right thing here and replace Barron. We will probably have to put up with another year of losing. 

There is no magic ball when it comes to Coaching. Things can not be this bad at MaIne. Maybe it is a culture problem. Money issues have always been a problem at Maine even when I was a player on the JV team, but this idea that there is some major difference between Maine and Alabama when it comes to basketball. Not really, yes Maine has a facilities issue, but hopefully that gets resolved soon. Covid is a problem across the board, not just a Maine issue. 

All I see is a bunch of people making excuses when it really is a Coaching issue that needs to be changed. 

I am not going to say anymore about this. I think this is why Bob does not waste his time on this board any longer. 

What happened to not posting any more about this?

Posted by: turkeyman on Mon Feb 15th, 2021 11:10 pm

Since you`re not going to post anymore on this subject BBGuy -- oh, wait, you just did -- I guess this is the end of the discussion.

If it makes no difference that you went to `Bama, why do you bring it up in nearly every post? Whether I ever played, even JV, at the DI level is about as relevant as whether your political/social opinions have any value because you don`t write a newspaper column.

I have posted before that I wasn`t even good enough to play in high school, so I became team manager and made part of my living in high school by driving players to games at 10 cents a mile (1956-58). But I was lucky enough to play pick-up games with (the late) Willie Wood at USC. And, yes, I do write a newspaper column, but that doesn`t negate your political/social opinions.

Joanne Palombo is not a Maine native. She was born in California, lived in Brunswick while her father was stationed at NASBrunswick. She still has family in the state but is not a native.

Neither Joanne Palombo nor Amy Vachon went straight from high-school to DI coaching. Palombo assisted at Auburn for four years. Vachon won the gold ball in 2011 as coach at Catherin McAuley High School. That summer, the new women`s HC, Richard Barron, hired her as an assistant coach. You know the rest of the story.  

The jump from high school to DI is rare in the extreme. A lot of people thought it wouldn`t work even from DIII to DI when Scott Rueck went to Oregon State from Geroge Fox, after winning the DIII natioanl championship. But it worked there. He even took his star player, Sage Indendi, to OSU from George Fox, and she did  well at OSU.

The risks of hiring a high-school coach at a DI school are immense. With few exceptions, high school coaches know nothing about recruiting. Almost none of them have full-time coaching experience, especially in Maine, where they have day jobs, most but not all of them as teachers. Most have earned something like $5,000 a year for coaching. If you were AD, wouild you stake your job on such a hire?

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: SMTC on Tue Feb 16th, 2021 7:15 am

i said a couple of years ago the 1 million dollars the Collins family donated to the mens basketball program should have gone staright to a three year contract for a head coach to get this program a kick in the ass in the wright direction. 

I miss the old days when Keeling and Dr G recruited heavely in the New Jersey, Phili, Illinios areas and brought in some impact JUCO`s . I`m not sure the current coaching staff is bringing in enough talent. Overall I`m not sure what I would give for a grade for this years recruiting class....

Posted by: basketball_guy on Tue Feb 16th, 2021 8:54 am
turkeyman wrote:

Since you`re not going to post anymore on this subject BBGuy -- oh, wait, you just did -- I guess this is the end of the discussion.

If it makes no difference that you went to `Bama, why do you bring it up in nearly every post? Whether I ever played, even JV, at the DI level is about as relevant as whether your political/social opinions have any value because you don`t write a newspaper column.

I have posted before that I wasn`t even good enough to play in high school, so I became team manager and made part of my living in high school by driving players to games at 10 cents a mile (1956-58). But I was lucky enough to play pick-up games with (the late) Willie Wood at USC. And, yes, I do write a newspaper column, but that doesn`t negate your political/social opinions.

Joanne Palombo is not a Maine native. She was born in California, lived in Brunswick while her father was stationed at NASBrunswick. She still has family in the state but is not a native.

Neither Joanne Palombo nor Amy Vachon went straight from high-school to DI coaching. Palombo assisted at Auburn for four years. Vachon won the gold ball in 2011 as coach at Catherin McAuley High School. That summer, the new women`s HC, Richard Barron, hired her as an assistant coach. You know the rest of the story.  

The jump from high school to DI is rare in the extreme. A lot of people thought it wouldn`t work even from DIII to DI when Scott Rueck went to Oregon State from Geroge Fox, after winning the DIII natioanl championship. But it worked there. He even took his star player, Sage Indendi, to OSU from George Fox, and she did  well at OSU.

The risks of hiring a high-school coach at a DI school are immense. With few exceptions, high school coaches know nothing about recruiting. Almost none of them have full-time coaching experience, especially in Maine, where they have day jobs, most but not all of them as teachers. Most have earned something like $5,000 a year for coaching. If you were AD, wouild you stake your job on such a hire?

Bob Neal, New Sharon

First of all I did not post anything about having gone to Bama until you insulted me and brought it up in the first place. I see this same dislike of Northerners down here that I see of Southerners in Maine. I don`t get it but I don`t care either. Clearly, you never did play the game or you would not be posting nonsense like this. 

Perhaps your right they should bring in a Junior College Coach or a lead Assistant, yes perhaps even a top high school coach. Anyone could have achieved what Barron achieved in three years. 

When you consider the past 3 years, you could have hired a top High School Coach with a record like this. Move on. 

Barrons Record as Mens basketball coach

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
Maine (America East) (2018–present)
2018–19Maine5–273–138th 
2019–20Maine9–215–118th 
2020–21Maine2–72–6  
Maine:16–56 (.222)10–30 (.250) 
Total:16–56 (.222)
Posted by: ExpoEddie on Tue Feb 16th, 2021 9:49 am

parquetfloor, if you are going to critisize a post, at least read it correctly.  I specifically stated that the three should be called to see if the had a reccomendation from the college ranks.  Not that they would leave their current roles and come to Orono. 

Brett Brown comment was a little tongue in cheeek.  Dad not getting any younger and their love of fly fishing is well known.  Gary FiField stepped up and sat on Coach Vachon`s bench, giving a little back.  Be kinda cool to see Brett and his Dad, Bob sitting on the men`s bench at Maine.  Dreamimg a little dream during Covid I say.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Feb 16th, 2021 10:21 am

As far as future recruiting goes, I think Maine should focus their attention on Canada, in particular metro Toronto and metro Montreal as well as metro Boston and the New England Prep School ranks. Canada is really churning out some talent right now and Barron & Co. have already started leaning in that direction. A secondary recruiting market could be Greater Halifax, NS. The staff has been over in that area in the last couple of years.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Tue Feb 16th, 2021 3:48 pm

Excellent post BZ.  CIM has always thought Prep and JC schools were where the diamonds in the rough were.  I question though if under Covid travel restrictions Canada in play.  Does Maine Hockey have players from our northern neighbors?