MBB Transfers

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Feb 3rd, 2021 3:52 pm

typically players who have academic challenges will take at least one if not two classes during the summer so when school starts they need only to carry 4 classes and maybe a lab.  The two summers I spent time with Vincent Eze, he was srtudying all the time at the lake.

Sometimes things just don`t work out, and that no one is at fault.  Wol had an outstanding high school coach and a community that sure looked like they embraced him.  The three games we played against him that I was on the bench, not a nicer person coming thru the line.  Well spoken, eye contact and respectful.  Still cannot get over his insane dunk they took off the board at the Expo.  I hope he finds his place as Terrion Moss did.  Wol deserves at least that much for what he has given to fans in my book. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Thu Feb 4th, 2021 8:18 pm

You could really beat this thing to death. I suspect there may be other changes coming at the end of the season. I think Maine with a new Indoor arena on campus and a new coaching staff could do wonders for the program. 

But I know there a large number of Barron fans here. He is in his thiird year at Maine now. Covid has caused some issues but all College basketball teams are having to deal with this. 

Maine`s problem has more to do wuth recruiting than anything else however. How Ken Ralph deals with all these questions at the end of the season is anyones guess at this point. Best to wait and see how he does deal with all this. 

Posted by: thebam on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 12:56 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

You could really beat this thing to death. I suspect there may be other changes coming at the end of the season. I think Maine with a new Indoor arena on campus and a new coaching staff could do wonders for the program. 

But I know there a large number of Barron fans here. He is in his thiird year at Maine now. Covid has caused some issues but all College basketball teams are having to deal with this. 

Maine`s problem has more to do wuth recruiting than anything else however. How Ken Ralph deals with all these questions at the end of the season is anyones guess at this point. Best to wait and see how he does deal with all this. 

I would say very few, if any , teams around the country have had to deal with the type of Covid stuff Maine has had to deal with. From games being cancelled, program put on hiatus and sometimes just based on a " presumption" .  This season has been 1 big $hit$how and should have zero weight in any discussion of Coach B`s job performance. Write this one off like it didn`t happen, because , basically, it didn`t.

Posted by: SMTC on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 4:30 pm

So do we have any of those postponed games to make up still? I thought we would be playing this weekend

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 8:34 pm
thebam wrote:

I would say very few, if any , teams around the country have had to deal with the type of Covid stuff Maine has had to deal with. From games being cancelled, program put on hiatus and sometimes just based on a " presumption" .  This season has been 1 big $hit$how and should have zero weight in any discussion of Coach B`s job performance. Write this one off like it didn`t happen, because , basically, it didn`t.

Look every College is having to deal with Covid, Kentucky, Illinois. It has been a crap shoot for a lot of teams. Let me say this, Maine`s basketball program has hit rock bottom not just because of the Coach. The fact that they can not play on campus is an issue (and I say that even though I think Maine needs to play football at an off campus facility). Alabama is having a great year despite Covid. 

I still feel the UMAINE job is a coveted job in a mid major conference like America East, they just need an investment in a new indoor arena ON CAMPUS. It would be a real shot in the arm for the Maine basketball program truthfully. But Barrons concentration on recruiting over in Europe too much of the time is an issue. There are plently of of Prep Schools in New England that he could be hitting. I just don`t care for the way he is recruiting. It may have worked for the women but I just don`t see it working for the Mens program and the fact that he has players transferring out all the time is a pretty good indicator that its not working. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 8:57 pm

I was a big proponent of playing at the Cross Center.....I have changed my mind.  

I personally enjoyed watching games there and it was a better location in terms of proximity to where I travel from and closer to ammenities in Bangor.  That being said.....college basketball should be played on campus where games are easily accessible to the student body.  A quality on campus facility also shows that the school is vested and invested in the sport.  UM now has the money to spend on a modern quality facility thanks to the Alfond Foundation.

And finally, the Cross Center/City of Bangor showed no allegiance or preference to their main tenants....screw them!  Now they can fill 25 winter dates with something else.

Posted by: turkeyman on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 10:14 pm

MJ, can`t disagree. I far prefer the CIC for watching games. But the change in management soured it for me. An usher at one game came over to tell me I couldn`t put my feet on the chair in front of me. My feet weren`t on the chair and hadn`t been. We sit close enough to the court that the seats in front of us are usually occupied.

I told the usher my feet weren`t on and hadn`t been on the chair in front, and she just repeated, "You can`t put your feet on the chair in front of you." Really hospitable.

And the security screening, though they got much better at it as they went along, still seems an overreach.

That said, I don`t want home games at The Pit. It`s an awesome atmosphere when it`s full, but full is only 1,200 or so. Maine averages more than that. And when The Pit isn`t full, it`s just as deadly as the Alfond or the Cross Center with small crowds. And it is difficult to negotiate the stairs. And a lot of sight lines are blocked.

But getting out of the Cross Center in a couple of years would be nice. I would drive the extra 25 minutes or so each way for that. 

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Feb 8th, 2021 11:00 am

Couldn`t agree more on the CIC and I live less than a mile from it!  I honestly can`t wait for Maine to be outta there. The security measures were the final straw for me. The staff is rude and unwelcoming.The concessions are wayyy overpriced and the food quality is substandard. The only thing I like about the building is the sight lines. No atmosphere unless the band is playing. Just kinda sad for a place that had great potential.  I`d rather go watch a game in The Pit and break my back for 2 hours. I can put a water bottle in my coat pocket and not get my hand slapped.

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Feb 8th, 2021 2:03 pm

I just don`t understand what the City of Bangor is/was thinking.  They spend $60 million to build this place....and then don`t even care how it is managed?  Good luck filling dates!....and good luck to Bangor taxpayers picking up the slack....$$$.Surprised