Confusion on spacing during timeouts

Posted by: lovethegame on Mon Jan 25th, 2021 12:22 pm

I have had this discussion with other coaches and fans alike. Teams are suppose to be spaced out on the benches and the majority of schools are doing a wonderful job of setting up chairs several feet a part so there is social distancing on the sidelines. Most schools are just keeping their bleachers pushed in and using that space. Some schools are even putting teams in opposite corners so they are diagonal from each other on the sidelines while some schools just have teams spaced out in the bleachers.

All of that is great. A lot of attention is being paid to the benches. When it comes to timeouts though, where is the spacing that is suppose to be taking place? Timeouts are being held like they always have been. The five players sitting on the bench or standing in the huddle with the coach in front of them and the other players circled around them. Personally, I have no issue with this and all the coaches I have spoken with don`t mind either as it obviously makes things easier. But we have all questioned what happened with that specific rule that was suppose to be followed? Has anyone seen any games where teams have been actually following that spacing rule for timeouts? Officials don`t seem to care either. Is it a mute point?