MBB Starts Season

Posted by: SMTC on Fri Dec 18th, 2020 1:32 pm

Turgut was hurt last year. and never dressed..Solly had surgery a while ago and has been practicing everyday

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Fri Dec 18th, 2020 1:57 pm

I hope Solly is healthy. I know the team and coaching staff thinks highly of him. Last year he was really laboring. Tried to gut it out but had no lateral mobility. would love to see what he can do if given a clean bill of health. He certainly has strength, a decent shot and some surprising ability to attack the basket off the dribble.

Turgut...let`s see. I was under the impression he was more of a "program kid". Solid academically but not a projected future starter.

Posted by: SMTC on Fri Dec 18th, 2020 3:12 pm

Turgut played on the U-20 Turkish national Team. Hopefully he is more than a project player. I was under the impression he was a pretty skilled for a big man.

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Dec 18th, 2020 3:12 pm

Wow....this program is pretty much a trainwreck right now.  Why are there so many injuries with this program?  They haven`t even played a damn game since last winter!  This program along with men`s ice hockey needs to be examined closely before the Alfond money starts flwoing into new facilities, etc.

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Fri Dec 18th, 2020 7:59 pm

No redshirts needed as essentially everyone is a redshirt this year with the covid waiver.

I would anticipate the starters being:

Le`Chaun

FoFo

Ja`Shante

Vilgot

Steph

Posted by: imposter on Sat Dec 19th, 2020 4:51 am
Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Dec 18th, 2020 3:12 pm

Wow....this program is pretty much a trainwreck right now.  Why are there so many injuries with this program?  They haven`t even played a damn game since last winter!  This program along with men`s ice hockey needs to be examined closely before the Alfond money starts flwoing into new facilities, etc.

Examined in what way?

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sat Dec 19th, 2020 8:17 am

I don`t think either Barron Or Gendron is going anywhere.  Not with the current state of the world. Need as much program stability as possible right now. Keep players out of the transfer portal, as a tight family unit and continue to build.  
Coach Barron is starting to make some headway in Canada and I think they should continue to focus on those recruiting grounds. Montreal and Toronto metro areas as well as Nova Scotia. By all accounts, Canada is producing more and more D1 caliber players and future pros. They went hard after Kellen Tynes and unfortunately lost out to Montana State. Samuel Alamutu was another kid from that same RNS program that ended up signing with Vermont. The most talented kids on this current Maine team are arguably the Canadian kids: Adetogun, Wright-McLeish and Ingo. The coaching staff needs to continue to work those recruiting pockets and bring in the best talent possible. They need to hit on a couple of players to stimulate the growth of this program.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sat Dec 19th, 2020 4:28 pm

Wow it felt good to scream at the TV watching a Maine game again!  Great second half by the Black Bears and came up just a little short thanks to a blown call (Moses Flowers was out of bounds) and a Hunter Marks 3 pointer. Larson had a chance to tie it on a last second 26 footer but it went off the front rim.  Maine showed some heart coming back from double digits. Steph Ingo was the player of this game for Maine. His rim protection was key to Maine`s come back and he also displayed a nice outside touch, hitting a couple of 3`s.  Maine did a nice job containing Moses Flowers. Carter seemed to be the difference for Hartford.  He was money from the line and played a really nice floor game.  Maine displayed some nice depth, good post play and they created their share of deflections and steals. Maine struggled with their defensive rotations which led to some open looks for Hartford.  Maine`s first half was mired by poor shooting.  They relied heavily on the 3 ball. At times there were open driving lanes on the baseline that they could exploit but chose not to. Overall, a solid effort. Some nice development from Maine`s bigs and some nice contributions from the newcomers.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sun Dec 20th, 2020 8:54 am

Question...Duhart is listed as a freshman on the roster.  How is this possible?  I believe he played at Western Wyoming JC last year and a D2 school in California as a freshman.