UMaine women`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Tue Mar 23rd, 2021 12:07 pm
mainejeff wrote:

I believe that Stony Brook got the same slot that Maine would have had....against the same team (Arizona).  I still stand by my assertion that Maine would not have lost by 35.  I`m guessing that maybe a 10-15 point loss was in the cards.

You believe Stony Brook got the same slot as Maine based on what exactly? If Maine had won, its NET would have likely been in the mid-70s. Compare that to Stony Brook`s final NET ranking, 100, and I find it hard to believe that Maine wouldn`t have at least received a slightly better seeding than the Seawolves. Also, prior to the AE title game, Charlie Creme had Maine as a #13 seed. After the AE title game, Charlie Creme had SB as a #15 seed.  

If for whatever reason Maine had faced Arizona, I think the Black Bears would have really struggled against the Wildcats. We all know that dribble penetration/quick guards has been a bit of a bugaboo for Maine in past years. If Maine had trouble handling Dingle, can you imagine what Aari McDonald would have done? Arizona has been inconsistent all season, but when they`re firing on all cylinders (like they did against SB), they`re scary good, like Final Four-caliber good.  

Bob, re. your comments about parity in the women`s game, I think the following statements can be simultaneously true (and I think this is the point you were making): 1) five or six teams have a realistic shot at winning the national title, and this makes it one of the most wide-open women`s fields in history and 2) we are still a long way from men`s tournament-level parity. Completely agree on your theory re. the root cause of the lack of parity.     

Posted by: turkeyman on Tue Mar 23rd, 2021 1:51 pm

Yes, 99. Women`s basketball is solidified into two groups, the top half or so of each P5 conference (P6 if youi include the Big East now that UConn has come home) and everyone else. That top half is a larger group than it used to be (UConn, UT, Baylor, Notre  Dame).

This year, it includes UConn, Baylor, NC State, Stanford, South Caroline, Maryland, Texas A&M, Louisville, maybe UGa. At their best -- I didn`t see the Stony Brook-Arizona game -- maybe Arizsona, too. Of the traditional powerhouses that once in a while threatened UConn, looks like UT may be done, Notre Dame is surely out, Duke will be out for a while, and Mississippi State is out.  

I think the overall quality of play among the other 300 teams is at a much higher level than it was 20 or 10 years ago. (As great as Cindy was in 1994-98, would she lead the nation in scoring today?) But without more resources and respect for the women`s game (and all women`s sports and all the so-called minor sports), athletic departments won`t invest the necessary resources to elevate most of those programs. 

As to the seeds, I think you`re right about a 13, but a 12 still seems a stretch to me. With a win over Stony Brook, Maine would have been 18-2 with 11 wins on the road. Maine might have stepped into the 50s in NET, maybe 58 or 57, but more likely Maine just moved up in the 60s to, say, 63 or 62,. The seed wouild have depeneded a great deal on how many teams higher than Maine did not make the tournament. There must be close to 10 (Bucknell, Colorado, Drake, etc.) above Maine that didn`t make it. If Maine had had a 58 NET and 10 teams higher were not invited, Maine would have had the 48th highest NET. At the very best, that would be a 12. I still think a 13 was our best shot.

SBU went in at 15-5 and had the same bad loss as Maine, at UNH. It also lost to Fordham, Syracuse and Lowell. I believe Stony Brook was 107 in the NET before it beat Maine in The Pit. 

As a 13, all other seeds being equal, Maine would have faced, Arkansas, UK, West Virginia or Indiana. Arkansas, the only team to beat UConn this year, lost in the first round. It was only 19-8 going into the NCAAs, so it had a consistency issue. UK has been up and down but finished strong. WVU rises or falls with Keysr Gondrezick, and Indiana may be the most under-rated P5 team, though it stumbled in the BIG tournament, losing to MSU in the quarters. An IU-Maine game would have been fun. Maine would have had a fighting chance, I believe, against UK or WVU. 

But, that`s all speculation. Wait till next year.

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: fafan on Mon Mar 29th, 2021 8:24 am

Guess this more of a 21/22 post but Dor Saar to enter the transfer portal for next year. After watching alot of the women`s NCAA tournament and seeing the different talent levels that exist I don`t think there are many Maine players who are going to transfer and play at much of a higher level but wish her all the success.

Dor Saar to Use Fifth-Year of Eligibility as Grad Transfer

3/29/2021 | Women`s Basketball

Orono, Maine - University of Maine women`s basketball senior guard Dor Saar will enter the transfer portal as she plans to explore her additional year of eligibility, offered by the NCAA due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as a graduate transfer.

"After much time and consideration, as well as council with both my family and my coaches, I have decided to enter the transfer portal," said Saar. "In my four years here, I never thought about playing anywhere else other than UMaine because this program is so special. I am beyond thankful for the opportunity to play in Maine and to represent not only the school but the state. With the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility because of the COVID-19 pandemic, I have decided to use my fifth year to try and play in a different conference. This four-year experience has been an amazing one for me. Thank you Black Bear Nation for your endless support during my time. I could not have asked for a better program or community to have been a part of during my journey. Forever a Black Bear."

Saar, a three-time America East All-Conference selection, leaves Maine as the program`s top three-point shooter after knocking down 235 triples during her time in Orono. Saar ranks second on Maine`s all-time assists list (507) and is the only player in program history to eclipse 1,000 points and 500 assists in a career. Saar, who ranks 21st on Maine`s all-time scoring list with 1,069 points, averaged 9.1 points and 4.3 assists over her 117 games with the Black Bears.

"Dor has given everything to Maine Women`s Basketball over these last four years," said UMaine head coach Amy Vachon. "She will leave Maine as one of the best point guards to ever wear the blue and white. With the NCAA granting student-athletes an additional year of eligibility, Dor will be looking to play in a different conference for her fifth year. While it will be strange seeing Dor wear a different uniform, I will always be a fan and cheer for Dor Saar. I wish her nothing but the best in her future!"

-UMaine-

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Mar 29th, 2021 9:15 am

Yeah....I think that Saar could struggle at a level much higher than Maine.  I`m sure that she will get plenty of interest though.  She has a great basketball mind and "quick" hands....but she is not quick and that combined with her height might limit her P5 type of offers.  She was the glue for Maine though and had an incredible career for the Bears.....all the best to her!

Posted by: MaineBlackBearFan on Mon Mar 29th, 2021 10:00 am

Best of luck to Saar she was fun to watch

Posted by: mainejeff on Tue Mar 30th, 2021 12:50 pm
MaineBBFan99 wrote:

You believe Stony Brook got the same slot as Maine based on what exactly? If Maine had won, its NET would have likely been in the mid-70s. Compare that to Stony Brook`s final NET ranking, 100, and I find it hard to believe that Maine wouldn`t have at least received a slightly better seeding than the Seawolves. Also, prior to the AE title game, Charlie Creme had Maine as a #13 seed. After the AE title game, Charlie Creme had SB as a #15 seed.  

If for whatever reason Maine had faced Arizona, I think the Black Bears would have really struggled against the Wildcats. We all know that dribble penetration/quick guards has been a bit of a bugaboo for Maine in past years. If Maine had trouble handling Dingle, can you imagine what Aari McDonald would have done? Arizona has been inconsistent all season, but when they`re firing on all cylinders (like they did against SB), they`re scary good, like Final Four-caliber good.  

Bob, re. your comments about parity in the women`s game, I think the following statements can be simultaneously true (and I think this is the point you were making): 1) five or six teams have a realistic shot at winning the national title, and this makes it one of the most wide-open women`s fields in history and 2) we are still a long way from men`s tournament-level parity. Completely agree on your theory re. the root cause of the lack of parity.     

You were right about Arizona!Wink

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Tue Mar 30th, 2021 7:44 pm
mainejeff wrote:

You were right about Arizona!Wink

Haha, well, I suppose a broken clock is right twice a day! 

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Sat Apr 3rd, 2021 12:01 am
MaineBBFan99 wrote:

* National championship game good.

Posted by: mainah57 on Sat Apr 3rd, 2021 12:03 am
MaineBBFan99 wrote:

* National championship game good.

Sorry (not sorry) for that tough matchup, Stony Brook... 🤣🤣