Hoops Conference Schedules

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Sat Dec 12th, 2020 3:03 am

Maine state agencies address no special gathering exemptions for UMaine athletics

Posted by: fafan on Sat Dec 12th, 2020 11:08 am

This is a stupid comment by General Mills and Commisioner Labrew to say UMaine sporting events are just like Oxford Plains and should not get special treatment. 

Everyone in the building is tested before they play after they play and they do deserve to be treated differently. I don`t understand the lack of using 1,024 negative tests since November for the UMaine athletic department and all the testing protocol by Hockey East and the America East to show that yes this a different situation. 

Makes Maine seem shortsighted to make their teams get on a bus every weekend. Congrats to the University doing everything right but shame on the goverment.SealedYell

Posted by: hoopsisme on Sat Dec 12th, 2020 12:02 pm

Sadly unless the restriction is lifted past 50, the teams at Maine are on the road indefinitely. A huge thank you to Governor Mills for this decision!! Not

Posted by: turkeyman on Sat Dec 12th, 2020 12:56 pm

As one who is vulnerable big-time to the virus (age, weight, cardiac history), I have supported Governor Mills`s handling of the virus. 

But, somehow I missed the shift from the governor saying college sports would be allowed to follow their conference guidelines to her saying no teams can come into Maine.

I believe the university`s record of dealing with the virus is outstanding. As of yesterday, there have been 27 infections in a student body of nearly 12,000 (plus faculty and staff). And, as Coach Vachon has noted, zero infections among athletes.

I see kids responding in Farmington, the one time a week that I go to town. Outdoors, virtually every UMF kid is wearing a mask. Outdoors! The entire university system has responded superbly.

And on the Maine women`s team, didn`t I see Lexi Mittlestadt check into her first collegiate game wearing a mask? It was off a bit later.

If the colleges and universities are doing so well, why continue to lock them down?  There are virtually no other students on campus now than the athletes and won`t be for more than a month. The same is true of nearly every campus in the country. 

UMaine`s teams are all playing only against teams that are in states with low infections rates. To wit, Vermont (50th highest rate out of 50), New Hampshire (47th), Maryland (40th), New York (39th), Massachusetts (38th), Connecticut (37th), New Jersey (30th) and Rhode Island (10th). Maine, by the way, has the 49th highest rate (or second lowest) despite the recent upsurge.

Only Rhode Island is doing badly, yet, it was OK for the Maine women to go to Rhode Island but it isn`t OK for Hartford to come here.

We`re dealing too much with one-size-fits-all. The earlier lockdown was by county, which made no distinction between Portland, with a high infection rate, and Bridgton, with no reported cases for a long time.  But both are in Cumberland County, so Bridgton had to lock down as well. 

Several thousand students have been infected at universities like Alabama, but unless Maine is scheduled to play `Bama in some sport -- it isn`t -- that should not be a concern for Maine.

I can`t get the data for all Maine opponents, but here a a few examples. NJIT has had a total of 86 cases, seven of them in the past week. Stony Brook has had 120, but 74 of those were at the medical school, where one would expect lots of infections at the hospital, and only 20 were students. UVM has recorded 10 cases since Thnanksgiving. UMBC has had 57 infections total.

Only UNH of those I could find has had a large number of cases, 620, according to the New York Times. 

The workload on the Maine CDC and other state departments is huge, but Maine has always had more state employees, per capita, than many other states (2,000 to 4,000 more than New Hampshire, according to figures I dug up a few years ago). People should be available to work at making some distinctions about COVID and to find ways to tighten the screws where there are problems and to ease up where there are not.

Which risk is greater, for example, sending Maine players onto a campus with lots of infections or having an entourage of, say, 20 come to Maine from such a campus? I wonder if it might have been safer for Providence, URI and UNH to come to Maine than it was to send our teams to those places. This is the sort of distinction that Maine needs to start making before we all go crazy. 

Bob Neal, New Shaorn

Posted by: seenit on Sat Dec 12th, 2020 3:06 pm

Well stated Bob.  Too bad General Mills and Commissioner Labrew don`t read MBR.  Come on Janet get a clue.

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Sat Dec 12th, 2020 6:52 pm
seenit wrote:

Well stated Bob.  Too bad General Mills and Commissioner Labrew don`t read MBR.  Come on Janet get a clue.

I know, what a shame that our governor doesn`t spend time during a pandemic on MBR. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Dec 14th, 2020 10:11 am

So they`re afraid that a team from Long Island, that has been tested several times, will bring covid into the area. Mind you, they will be tested upon arrival as well in addition to before and after the game. But yeah, let`s not allow that to happen.

Are the old Circuit City and Home Depot buildings still vacant? If so, rent one of them out for 3 months, bring some shirts, sweatshirts and other items from Bear Necessities down there and open up as a retail store. Now it`s a retail space, similar to Target and Walmart. 

Then, lay down the court, set up some chairs and some portable bleachers and there you go. No longer need special exemptions for UMaine athletics. 

Game on.

Posted by: dunbar on Mon Dec 14th, 2020 1:12 pm

And yet the legislature (which doesn`t have a testing regiment and meets in a smaller venue) is allowed to convene...

The argument Gov. Blinky McShuggs and Jeanne Jeanne the Dancing Machine make is that it`s easier to implement a blanket threshold than to weigh square footage and whatnot. Making the easy decision isn`t leadership, it`s lazy. And for an administration that constantly preaches how much they follow the science and data, they really don`t want to basic math, do they?

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Dec 14th, 2020 5:31 pm

Mills is a one-termer....hopefully LePage isn`t brought in to replace her.