Will there be HS hoops this winter?

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Sun Nov 8th, 2020 3:57 am
Posted by: ExpoEddie on Mon Nov 9th, 2020 1:51 pm

I am starting to wonder if anyone working with Gov. Mills played sports.  I do not coach, watch or for the most part follow kids playing travel basketball.  What I do know is leaders like Lenny Holmes have given 100`s of kids, 100`s of games and no one gotten Covid.

It is shortsighted by both the MPA and the leadership in Augusta not to have travel leadership at the table.  Plus, MBR is the leader in getting the word out via its expansive website.  While I have grave doubts of things starting up in 2020, the youth of Maine deserve nothing but the best minds trying to figure out how to make it work.  Travel sports are not perfect, but they have tremendous insight, experience and knowledge all should want to absorb.  Here is to Roche & Rafferty bringing a sports mentatlity to Augusta and a voice for the kids.

Posted by: dunbar on Tue Nov 10th, 2020 8:57 am
ExpoEddie wrote:

I am starting to wonder if anyone working with Gov. Mills played sports.  I do not coach, watch or for the most part follow kids playing travel basketball.  What I do know is leaders like Lenny Holmes have given 100`s of kids, 100`s of games and no one gotten Covid.

It is shortsighted by both the MPA and the leadership in Augusta not to have travel leadership at the table.  Plus, MBR is the leader in getting the word out via its expansive website.  While I have grave doubts of things starting up in 2020, the youth of Maine deserve nothing but the best minds trying to figure out how to make it work.  Travel sports are not perfect, but they have tremendous insight, experience and knowledge all should want to absorb.  Here is to Roche & Rafferty bringing a sports mentatlity to Augusta and a voice for the kids.

Doubtful, and I think Gov. Blinky McShruggs and her cabinet`s inadequacies really reflect that. 

Leadership is based on communication and trust. Mills struggles with both. Lambrew is an unmitigated disaster and a PR nightmare (no public official should be that bad at public speaking), not to mention is totally unqualified for her role as she is not an MD. Shah is intelligent as hell and is the shining star here but gets pushed over by the other two.

The key difference here is whether one wants to lead or wants to be in control. One yields individual success, one yields team success. The latter also takes credit when things go right and lays blame when things don`t. It`s one of the greatest lessons learned through athletics.

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Wed Nov 11th, 2020 4:26 am

Updated Community Sports Guidelines

Level 1, which can begin Dec.7 now has new language

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Thu Nov 19th, 2020 4:17 am

County physician and coach says a winter sports season is ‘almost impossible

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Sat Nov 21st, 2020 2:57 am

12 game seasons for Hockey & Hoops

Posted by: M SMart on Tue Nov 24th, 2020 10:12 am

Positive tests, hospitalization and death rates are climbing daily. Do we really think basketball season will be played? At a minimum I think it is pushed back until February. 

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Tue Nov 24th, 2020 11:57 am

Monday had 259 cases, 12 deaths.  Vaccine first arrival next month they hope.  Abundance of vaccine expected end of first quarter 2021.

Unless behaviors change wearing masks, helluva challenge to roll out season. 

Posted by: lovethegame on Tue Nov 24th, 2020 12:02 pm
M SMart wrote:

Positive tests, hospitalization and death rates are climbing daily. Do we really think basketball season will be played? At a minimum I think it is pushed back until February. 

With the direction this state is treading in, with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, and the outlook of the entire U.S. only is suppose to keep getting worse, it`s probably a good bet that Maine will push the start of the season back to February like they were originally talking about starting it. Might even see games get dropped down from 12 to 10.

It would be hard to have the state start the winter season just to shut it down after a few weeks. This is a completely different setup than fall sports. Teams are inside and the positivity rate will be climbing throughout the season if they decide to push forward. A delay to the start of the season might be everyone`s best bet.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Tue Nov 24th, 2020 3:20 pm

I hope you are correct LTG.  It gives the kids something to hang on to.