Alfond Money

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 12:46 pm

Anyone know when we will see renderings, plans, etc?  Would have been nice to throw Black Bear Nation a bone during Virtual Homecoming Weekend......oh well.

Posted by: BearDown on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 1:09 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

That was the first I brought it up. Steve Abbot was the one who wanted to do this in 2013. I have no idea what they are going to do. Now that they have the money to do what they need to do that is. I just get a bit sick of the condescending comments here. 

So much for a guy who actually played basketball at UMAINE. 

You are talking about a time over 7 years ago!  In that timespan UMaine has had: 3 Univ Presidents, 3 Head Football Coaches.  3 Mens Basketball Coaches.  2 Womens Basketball Coaches.  AND 3 different AD`s. Oh, not to mention a GLOBAL PANDEMIC that, as we speak, is changing the landscape of how athletics will be viewed economically amongst Universities budgets going forward for years to come.  An article over 7 years ago (with a completely inept AD) has ZERO RELEVANCE today.  Just like the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 10:07 pm

Well it is not irrelevant to those of us who actually played Sports at UMAINE, but I do agree what Ken as well as the rest of the Coaches at UMAINE do from this point forward will set the table for UMAINE sports for the next 20 years and if Maine continues to play football at Orono then they will be going nowhere. FCS football......

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sat Oct 17th, 2020 10:03 am

University of Vermonts 95 million athletic expansion. Sounds interesting. Not sure how they are expanding the hockey and basketball facilities. 

https://vtdigger.org/2018/10/29/construction-uvms-95-million-athletics-facility-begin-winter/

Posted by: hoopsisme on Sat Oct 17th, 2020 12:35 pm

I have heard a few scenarios . The space that makes sense is to put a basketball only arena where the bubble currently sits. It can easily fit there. Parking around it can be reconfigured. It also allows for an upgrade to the fitness and weight room that is currently on that side of the field house . My biggest fear is if there is an attempt to make a hockey/basketball facility. It would be a hockey rink that gets a floor put down for basketball. That brings the same issues the Alfond did when they both played there.

I have also heard that Ken Ralph is very interested in getting high school games there. Tourney games?!! Should know soon

Posted by: dunbar on Sun Oct 18th, 2020 10:13 am
hoopsisme wrote:

I have heard a few scenarios . The space that makes sense is to put a basketball only arena where the bubble currently sits. It can easily fit there. Parking around it can be reconfigured. It also allows for an upgrade to the fitness and weight room that is currently on that side of the field house . My biggest fear is if there is an attempt to make a hockey/basketball facility. It would be a hockey rink that gets a floor put down for basketball. That brings the same issues the Alfond did when they both played there.

I have also heard that Ken Ralph is very interested in getting high school games there. Tourney games?!! Should know soon

New multipurpose venues are much less of the "rink with a floor on top". If it`s shared, it needs to be a venue like the Mullins Center in Amherst, albeit smaller, which has a practice sheet. The extra ice would alleviate all conflicts and could also serve as convention space. 

In regards to the tournament, if the University wants it (seems evident) and can handle the scheduling, they`re going to get it. That`s nine full days of prospective students on campus. No doubt in my mind that they`ll give the MPA a better rate than the CIC would presently. Downtown is the better location, but as long as that building continues to price themselves out of their own market, Spectra gets what they deserve. 

Posted by: hoopsisme on Sun Oct 18th, 2020 11:06 am

The issue with multiuse arenas is practice time, particularly for hoops. Either way, both teams have to use an alternate sight to practice. I look at what Vermont is doing and it makes sense. Their hockey arena will get significant upgrades. The new basketball arena will seat about 3400. They will be side by side and share club seating, etc, It was a long time in the making but their plan will be ready soon! I think a basketball only venue is a game changer on campus for more than just the hoop teams at UMaine. Maine now has the needed cash to do this right. I think Ken Ralph will make good decisions!! Go Maine!!

Posted by: mainejeff on Sun Oct 18th, 2020 11:45 am

One thing that I do like about Ken Ralph is that he doesn`t have a long history with UM to muddy his decision making.  This should be done in an efficient and need based manner.  I was a bit irritated that he qualified his comments on new facilities that these will not be "extravagent" or something to that effect.  Well duh!.....this is Maine. But that doesn`t mean that you "cheap out" and build something ugly.  Also it really is imperative that they build these facilities for the weather.....especially as it concerns maintenance of these facilites over time.

Posted by: MBR on Mon Oct 19th, 2020 5:25 am

$90 million makeover could be a game-changer for UMaine athletics