Alfond Money

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 7:50 am
thebam wrote:

" There has been speculation about possible construction of a new hockey facility to replace 45-year-old Alfond Arena, but it is expected the facility will instead undergo renovations to help UMaine keep pace with opponents." 

Exactly how much lipstick can you put on a pig? This will be the biggest disappointment of this entire project if true.

Consider the source.

Posted by: thebam on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 8:26 am

" There has been speculation about possible construction of a new hockey facility to replace 45-year-old Alfond Arena, but it is expected the facility will instead undergo renovations to help UMaine keep pace with opponents." 

Exactly how much lipstick can you put on a pig? This will be the biggest disappointment of this entire project if true.

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 9:41 am

https://goblackbears.com/news/2021/2/16/alfond-fund-watch-umaine-to-unveil-athletics-facilities-master-plan-2-17-21.aspx

Well that was something!  

The big winners: UM student-athletes!  The support facilities....locker rooms, training facilities & meeting space look incredible.....they definitely have a WOW factor for prospective recruits if they follow through with the plans.

Biggest sport winners:

1. Basketball - Finally an on-campus facility...could be a truly special venue if they don`t cut corners.  LOVE the wall of glass overlooking Morse Field.  I would have preferred a bit more capacity toward 4K rather than 3K.....but if they stick to the plan this facility mirrors the Pit in some ways.....but with sex appeal.

2. Soccer/Field Hockey/Softball - All new turf fields, locker rooms, and support facilities.  All very well thought out and great placement within athletic complex. 

3. Football - New turf, no track, new video board, more stadium-like & intimate setting...brand new locker rooms, weight room and meeting space.  Nothing to sneeze at....should help the program keep pace in the CAA.

Biggest whiffs - 

1. Hockey - Obviously they don`t have an endless supply of $$$ so.....Lipstick on a pig.....although the "new" Walsh Center looks sweet.  Players will definitely benefit....but in many ways it will still be the same old Alfond.  Hopefully from a fan perspective the new video boards, lighting and tech will make the game day experience more enjoyable.....fingers crossed.

I`m hoping that we see most of this in the next few years.....again, fingers crossed.

Posted by: fafan on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 9:54 am

Great 24 minute video by AD Ralph, well thought out no time frames as to what projects start when, not sure the turf for football can go another year but guess it will have to. 

Overall an A for addressing every sport with upgrades to all, sure hockey was hoping for more. Exciting times for UMaine for sure.

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 10:17 am

The glass wall is nice conceptually but there`s no chance it`s exposed during games. Sunlight and backboards aren`t exactly the greatest shooting backdrop. I`ve been blinded by the glare just thinking about it.

They did their due dilligence here plus some. It`ll be interesting to see what`s on the short term project list for this summer. Upgrades to the audio-video and lighting at Alfond plus replacing the football turf is stuff that can be done now. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 10:37 am

Very impressive. Also Ken Ralph is definitely the right choice for AD at Maine. He has a lot on his plate right now but he will set things right for UMAINE athletics for years to come. 

I would have liked to have seen more for the football program but in light of all the upgrades he is planning I can understand why they will remain at the FCS level. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 10:39 am
dunbar wrote:

The glass wall is nice conceptually but there`s no chance it`s exposed during games. Sunlight and backboards aren`t exactly the greatest shooting backdrop. I`ve been blinded by the glare just thinking about it.

They did their due dilligence here plus some. It`ll be interesting to see what`s on the short term project list for this summer. Upgrades to the audio-video and lighting at Alfond plus replacing the football turf is stuff that can be done now. 

The glass wall is facing North though...so I wouldn`t expect glare unless it is shining off something outside and bouncing back.  Vermont`s new basketball arena will have a wall of glass at one end that makes this one seem puny.

The only problem I see with replacing the turf for next season is that the track needs to be removed and stadium bleachers brought closer to the field.....I don`t see that happening before next fall.

Posted by: hibbert on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 10:40 am
dunbar wrote:

I think it will be a few years before the football turf gets done, just from a construction management standpoint.

The softball, field hockey, and soccer need to happen first because other stuff goes where they are now.  Once those are moved, the new dome that covers the football practice field and new track can be built.

At that point they can demolish the old track and put down the new turf in its new location closer to the stands.  They wouldn`t want to put the new turf down only to have to move it once the track is removed.

The alternative would be going a few years without a track, which would be problematic.

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 10:59 am
hibbert wrote:

I think it will be a few years before the football turf gets done, just from a construction management standpoint.

The softball, field hockey, and soccer need to happen first because other stuff goes where they are now.  Once those are moved, the new dome that covers the football practice field and new track can be built.

At that point they can demolish the old track and put down the new turf in its new location closer to the stands.  They wouldn`t want to put the new turf down only to have to move it once the track is removed.

The alternative would be going a few years without a track, which would be problematic.

Yes and no. The best option in regards to the football field would be to install a blank carpet that can be added onto on the west side. All that will be needed to be shifted field-wise are the goalposts. It would involve painting the field as opposed to being sown in, but this practice has become more commonplace in the NFL (granted the NFLPA wants to more back to all natural surfaces).

Long story short, all options must be considered to replacing that surface immediately. That field is 13th in a 12 team CAA.