Alfond Money

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 11:12 am

Excited for the future of our athletic programs! Really well thought out plan! I pray this is a shot in the arm that Men`s Basketball desperately needs in terms of recruiting and future growth. My one concern looking at the blueprint is the lack of parking.  I hope Ralph and co. address this and fans don`t have to walk a mile to reach the stadiums. Overall, 9.5 out of 10.

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 11:22 am
Blind Zebras wrote:

Excited for the future of our athletic programs! Really well thought out plan! I pray this is a shot in the arm that Men`s Basketball desperately needs in terms of recruiting and future growth. My one concern looking at the blueprint is the lack of parking.  I hope Ralph and co. address this and fans don`t have to walk a mile to reach the stadiums. Overall, 9.5 out of 10.

The remaining lot South of the new basketball facility would be a great spot for a parking garage.  I wish that the University would incorporate this into the design of this master plan even if it isn`t funded by this money.  A new garage would benefit the entire University and funding should come out of general budget.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 11:32 am

Posted by: maine612 on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 1:21 pm

Very excited about this news!  Good day to be a Black Bear!

Posted by: MaineBlackBearFan on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 2:10 pm

Basketball arena going to be nice.  Soccer and Field Hockey fields as well.

Posted by: fafan on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 7:37 pm

Just listened to interview with AD Ralph and he shed some light on timing of some of the upgrades. The field turf will be replaced this summer, not sure if the stands will be moved then or later or if the track gets pulled this summer. Eventually the home stands will extend closer to the field and the visitor stands brouglt closer to the field toward the home stands and once the hoop areana is built the sound will increase because of the 3/4 of the field will be enclosed by the stands.

The field hockey, soccer and softball fields will be the next upgrade in 2022.

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Feb 17th, 2021 8:08 pm
fafan wrote:

Just listened to interview with AD Ralph and he shed some light on timing of some of the upgrades. The field turf will be replaced this summer, not sure if the stands will be moved then or later or if the track gets pulled this summer. Eventually the home stands will extend closer to the field and the visitor stands brouglt closer to the field toward the home stands and once the hoop areana is built the sound will increase because of the 3/4 of the field will be enclosed by the stands.

The field hockey, soccer and softball fields will be the next upgrade in 2022.

That`s good news about the turf for football....it`s definitely a safety issue for the players.

A couple more things that I`ve noticed from the pictures.  It looks like  the Field House is connected to the new basketball facility by a skybridge....I hope that stays in the final plans.

Also, the East side stands look like they are rebuilt concrete/brick and have an interior weather tight building underneath them.....I`m guessing restrooms/concessions/storage?

Posted by: SMTC on Thu Feb 18th, 2021 6:56 am

The state of Maine has some interesting prospects coming up the ranks with Kaden Bedard, the Flagg twins and Eliot Bouchard ....will Baron gets this program winning to attract some of the best talent in the state with these new and upcoming facilities? Time will tell.....

Posted by: thebam on Thu Feb 18th, 2021 11:05 am
SMTC wrote:

The state of Maine has some interesting prospects coming up the ranks with Kaden Bedard, the Flagg twins and Eliot Bouchard ....will Baron gets this program winning to attract some of the best talent in the state with these new and upcoming facilities? Time will tell.....

My guess is Coach Barron and all of those players you mentioned will have come and gone long before the basketball facility is built/finished.