Alfond Money

Posted by: mainejeff on Thu Feb 18th, 2021 11:34 am
thebam wrote:

My guess is Coach Barron and all of those players you mentioned will have come and gone long before the basketball facility is built/finished. 

They are 8th graders (Class of 2025).Surprised

And they have UM parents.....Kaden`s father is Andy Bedard who coaches their Maine United team.

Cooper & Ace`s mother is Kelly (Bowman) Flagg who played under Palombo-McAllie.

Check out Maine United and the highlights of these kids....they are freaking incredible.  If the Flagg brothers stay at Nokomis....they will win 4 gold balls.  Cooper is already considered a Top 50 recruit nationally for the Class of 2025.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Thu Feb 18th, 2021 12:56 pm

Probably should start a new thread, but seeing as Bedard and the Flagg twins were mentioned here, I guess I will add/ask here. Bedard obviously left Maine to go to BC and then transferred back to Maine, bringing along his buddy Nate Fox. There is no doubt those 2 made a huge impact in only 2 seasons. Anyway, my question is does anybody know how Bedard looks and feels about his experiences? Will he look to "send" kids to Maine or is he more likely to encourage them to leave the way that he did? I know Kelly (Bowman) Flagg absolutely loved UMaine and her time there so I can imagine she will make sure they know all about the school and the like. 

Anyway, just curious if anybody knew. I doubt it but worth asking anyway. 

Posted by: fafan on Thu Feb 18th, 2021 4:04 pm

Let`s get back to the generous gift from the Alfonds. Here is a great 19 minute interview with AD Ralph as to why they chose the upgrades they did. Best story was the Alfond hockey rink and why they upgraded instead of a new build. 

https://929theticket.com/umaine-a-d-gives-radio-tour-of-110mil-plan/

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Feb 19th, 2021 9:25 am

I know that they are just renderings but I noticed a "mistake" with the football stadium.  In the new rendering with no track....the seating on the home side has the same pitch that it currently has.  In order to bring the seating closer to the field after the track is removed....the entire lower half of the stadium will have to be rebuilt and the pitch of the seating will change....it should become less steep.  I wonder if this will be rebuilt with concrete?

Posted by: dunbar on Fri Feb 19th, 2021 11:09 am
mainejeff wrote:

I know that they are just renderings but I noticed a "mistake" with the football stadium.  In the new rendering with no track....the seating on the home side has the same pitch that it currently has.  In order to bring the seating closer to the field after the track is removed....the entire lower half of the stadium will have to be rebuilt and the pitch of the seating will change....it should become less steep.  I wonder if this will be rebuilt with concrete?

I don`t think that`s the plan. It sounds like they can put in a surface that they can shift the field when the time comes. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri Feb 19th, 2021 1:08 pm
dunbar wrote:

I don`t think that`s the plan. It sounds like they can put in a surface that they can shift the field when the time comes. 

That makes sense.....but that doesn`t jive with new turf installation for next season.  Are they going to replace the turf twice?

Posted by: BearDown on Sat Feb 20th, 2021 3:40 pm
mainejeff wrote:

That makes sense.....but that doesn`t jive with new turf installation for next season.  Are they going to replace the turf twice?

I thought about this too. I`m wondering, given it`s a 10 year plan, if the turf installed this summer stays in place until the stadium renovations occur? The lifespan is generally 8-10 years. I hope the renovations don`t take that long but they`ve already stated there are other priorities they want to get to following the turf replacement.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Mon Feb 22nd, 2021 9:00 pm

UMAINE basketball is mired in last place. 

While it will be great for a new basketball only facility is going to be built on campus, does anyone really see Barron leading this program? At this point there is no need to beat a dead horse. I just think they need to bring in someone younger who will liven things up in a new arena on campus. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=america+east+basketball+standings&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS841US841&oq=America+East+basketball+standings&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.8784j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/05k6f9t;3;;st;fp;1;;

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Mon Feb 22nd, 2021 10:59 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

UMAINE basketball is mired in last place. 

While it will be great for a new basketball only facility is going to be built on campus, does anyone really see Barron leading this program? At this point there is no need to beat a dead horse. I just think they need to bring in someone younger who will liven things up in a new arena on campus. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=america+east+basketball+standings&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS841US841&oq=America+East+basketball+standings&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.8784j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/05k6f9t;3;;st;fp;1;;

"At this point there is no need to beat a dead horse..." Then why do you continue to do so? You have made this point several times. Barron is not your guy; we get it. Now, can you please move on to something different?