Alfond Money

Posted by: rozzie on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 12:39 pm

Great news.  However, i have a question for all Maine alums---why are you not giving money to your university like most other schools?  I`ve never understood this--with the exception of the odd big gift and the incredible generosity of Steven and Tabitha King and the Alfond Foundation, this school gets no support from its alums.  And there are a ton who are well-heeled.  I`ve always felt like a good portion of UMaine graduates aren`t "proud" of their alma mater.  It has always made me sad and curious as to why.  I didn`t go there, but a lot of my high school classmates and my kids` classmates have---great school, great education, but it doesn`t translate into monetary gifts.  Why?

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 1:11 pm
rozzie wrote:

Great news.  However, i have a question for all Maine alums---why are you not giving money to your university like most other schools?  I`ve never understood this--with the exception of the odd big gift and the incredible generosity of Steven and Tabitha King and the Alfond Foundation, this school gets no support from its alums.  And there are a ton who are well-heeled.  I`ve always felt like a good portion of UMaine graduates aren`t "proud" of their alma mater.  It has always made me sad and curious as to why.  I didn`t go there, but a lot of my high school classmates and my kids` classmates have---great school, great education, but it doesn`t translate into monetary gifts.  Why?

I can`t speak for others, but I do give to the University: $600 annually to football, $600 annually to the athletic band program. A lot of my college classmates are from out-of-state, moved out-of-state and live in a more expensive area, and/or knee-deep in student debt that they wouldn`t give to the University to begin with. 

Posted by: fafan on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 2:48 pm

At one time we discussed what a dome facility would do for UMaine athletics. Would be the only facility in the East except for Syracuse. Is this just a pipe dream or could a facility like NDSU or N.Iowa be used for football, hoop and hockey? I don`t think it is feasible so probably just looking at a venue that would support hockey and hoop?

Posted by: turkeyman on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 3:22 pm

Dunbar, I admire your giving back to your alma mater, especially considering you are so recently graduated and far from peak earning power.  Most alums targeted for donations are years or decades past college and have more in the way of means than more recent grads.  

UMaine is not my alma mater, though I taught there (journalism) for three years.  But I try to send a little money each year from my fixed income to support the university.  First donation is alwayis to wbb (surprise!) and second, if any, is to general fund.  

I vowed to donate to Rockhurst, which picked me off the academic trash heap 54 years ago to kick start college, and to UMKC (across the street from Rockhurst) for providing me a first-rate undergraduate education and MA program.  My ship hasn`t come in, though, so my only giving to date has been to UMaine.  I keep hoping I can someday help support Rockhurst and UMKC since both supported me.

This Alfond gift is reported to be the eighth largest donation ever to any college, and the largest ever single gift to a New England college.  The mind boggles at how many pairs of shoes, not to mention Berkshire-Hathaway and Red Sox shares, are represented by $240 million (for the whole system) and by $90 million (UMaine).

I really like the CIC as a basketball arena, though it absorbs sound as thoroughly as The Pit reverberates sound, and I like having to drive only 71 miles instead of 82 each way to games.  But I have never liked either management group -- I had business dealings with the first group but only paid visitor dealings with the current group -- and would happily drive on up to Orono for games in a new building.

Bob Neal,

New Sharon

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 3:38 pm

I did not go to Orono.  Those that did have become disconnected over the years living in Greater Portland.  Greg Powell has a web though and do not be surprised if you see folks the Chris Emmons, retired CEO of Gorham Savings and Fred Pape III chair a capital campaign for the alum.  Add Skip Chapelle to the mix. 

They may focus on Elizabeth Noyes Foundation.  Hers I believe is about 60%, or $500 million of Alfond.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 10:26 pm
fafan wrote:

At one time we discussed what a dome facility would do for UMaine athletics. Would be the only facility in the East except for Syracuse. Is this just a pipe dream or could a facility like NDSU or N.Iowa be used for football, hoop and hockey? I don`t think it is feasible so probably just looking at a venue that would support hockey and hoop?

I have never thought this was a pipedream. A pipedream is thinking that the football program can continue in Orono for all homegames and never make a move into the FBS division when you have a population base in the greater Portland area that will clearly show over 650,000 in the Portland Metroplex after the 2020 Census. 

Both Ticket Sales and large contributions are the recipe for sucess for  an expanded fan base in both Portland and Orono where home games can be split between Orono and Portland. To stay with the status quo when the most fans you cpuld draw to an FCS playoff game was under 10,000 people in Orono on a cold November Day. 

It seems to me the whole issue of the football program requires some serious rethinking. 

Posted by: dunbar on Wed Oct 7th, 2020 11:27 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

I have never thought this was a pipedream. A pipedream is thinking that the football program can continue in Orono for all homegames and never make a move into the FBS division when you have a population base in the greater Portland area that will clearly show over 650,000 in the Portland Metroplex after the 2020 Census. 

Both Ticket Sales and large contributions are the recipe for sucess for  an expanded fan base in both Portland and Orono where home games can be split between Orono and Portland. To stay with the status quo when the most fans you cpuld draw to an FCS playoff game was under 10,000 people in Orono on a cold November Day. 

It seems to me the whole issue of the football program requires some serious rethinking. 

A pipedream is thinking any semblance of this is a good idea. 

Posted by: MBR on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 5:18 am

Upgrades coming to University of Maine athletics facilities after big grant from Alfond Foundation...

Posted by: thebam on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 8:52 am
dunbar wrote:

I can`t speak for others, but I do give to the University: $600 annually to football, $600 annually to the athletic band program. A lot of my college classmates are from out-of-state, moved out-of-state and live in a more expensive area, and/or knee-deep in student debt that they wouldn`t give to the University to begin with. 

I didn`t go to Maine. Not for a single second. However, it`s my state school so I send money every year to support the athletic program. Primarily baseball, but some football and softball as well.