Alfond Money

Posted by: fafan on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 12:13 pm

Ok Dunbar, this is your time to shine. With your engineering background and knowledge of the UMaine campus let us know your thoughts on where an arena that would house hoop and hockey would be located???

Curious minds would love to know what might happen before the big announcement in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 1:13 pm
fafan wrote:

Ok Dunbar, this is your time to shine. With your engineering background and knowledge of the UMaine campus let us know your thoughts on where an arena that would house hoop and hockey would be located???

Curious minds would love to know what might happen before the big announcement in a couple of weeks.

North end zone with club seating for football built in. They were looking at that site before there was discussions of relocating the track.

If they replace the turf next summer, it`ll be very difficult to shift the field or bring the west grandstand closer to the field at a later date. It`s about 60` from the sideline, which is about the NFL and major college average, and teams do like the extra sideline space. It will also allow for larger soccer events, or if soccer doesn`t move to inside of a new Olympic track. Granted, the steeper grade of the west grandstand provides much better sightlines than at other peer institutions (For example, the grandstands at New Hampshire are about 75` and 105` from the field). I expect a new structure on the east side, a relocated scoreboard and entrance in the south end zone, and lots of landscaping. That area of campus is so flat. 

I`m curious to see if they plan on an indoor practice facility for everybody. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 5:35 pm

I was thinking of the North end zone area as well.  Google Earth or similar provides a good overview of the area(s) available.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 9:36 pm
dunbar wrote:

North end zone with club seating for football built in. They were looking at that site before there was discussions of relocating the track.

If they replace the turf next summer, it`ll be very difficult to shift the field or bring the west grandstand closer to the field at a later date. It`s about 60` from the sideline, which is about the NFL and major college average, and teams do like the extra sideline space. It will also allow for larger soccer events, or if soccer doesn`t move to inside of a new Olympic track. Granted, the steeper grade of the west grandstand provides much better sightlines than at other peer institutions (For example, the grandstands at New Hampshire are about 75` and 105` from the field). I expect a new structure on the east side, a relocated scoreboard and entrance in the south end zone, and lots of landscaping. That area of campus is so flat. 

I`m curious to see if they plan on an indoor practice facility for everybody. 

Expanding the North End of Morse Stadium when you can not even fill out Morse Stadium for a playoff game against JSU? 

Look who is pipedreaming now...

Posted by: augie on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 9:45 pm
thebam wrote:

I didn`t go to Maine. Not for a single second. However, it`s my state school so I send money every year to support the athletic program. Primarily baseball, but some football and softball as well. 

$1200  from Dunbar?    

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Oct 8th, 2020 11:39 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

Expanding the North End of Morse Stadium when you can not even fill out Morse Stadium for a playoff game against JSU? 

Look who is pipedreaming now...

Get the name of the facility correct and then we`ll talk. 

Posted by: fafan on Mon Oct 12th, 2020 3:55 pm

Cannot wait until the plan is revealed. Have to think the follwing items get addressed-

1)Upgrade to Alfond Stadium with new field turf for Morse Field, update video replay board similiar to UNH`s, possibly this turf would allow the girls soccer team or field hockey to play there as well as AD Ralph mentioned that he wants to field to be used as often as possible. Have no idea about N. endzone Stadium seats or the track???

2)Replace the bubble, would think that could be done right where the existing one is.

3)The biggie, new Alfond Arena for hoop and hockey. It is imperative that the facility allow for smaller crowds for hoop and not make it like a church service if only a couple of hundred people are in attendance. We don`t want it like it was that led hoop going to Bangor.

90 million over 10 years ought to allow for some of the best facilities in the East. If this doesn`t help with recruiting nothing will!!!

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Oct 12th, 2020 4:53 pm

So here`s a question. If they do build a new Alfond Arena, what happens to the old one? Does it have to be torn down or is it in good enough condition that it could be retrofitted and used for hoops only? I think with a few million dollars invested, you could put down a permanent floor and re-arrange the seating in there to make it much more of an intimate setting. Hell, maybe wall off the balcony area and create additional offices, storage, locker rooms, etc on that end of the building. Again, though, I have no idea what shape the building is in, from the roof all the way down to the interior electrical and plumbing. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Oct 12th, 2020 8:36 pm

Trying to save Alfond Arena would be like trying to save the Bangor Auditorium.  Stop putting on the bandaids.....blow the damn thing up!

I also have to disagree with the "intimate setting" for hoops.  The past does not always indicate the future.....plus can we at least account for for max crowds of 3-4K that attend women`s hoops?  I also feel like men`s hoops is on the verge of gaining more interest and a larger following (please don`t laugh!).  More important than the intimacy is a well designed BASKETBALL arena......not a freaking hockey arena to play hoops in!  I Tthink you have to go with a 4K basketball facility.....it allows for growth in attendance....and would be big enough to hold special events (HS tourney, AE tourney games, big regular season games).