Alfond Money

Posted by: basketball_guy on Thu Oct 15th, 2020 7:36 pm
mainejeff wrote:

Agreed on the parking garage and location. it`s the perfect spot for it and would fill a huge need for commuter parking, athletic events, field house events, etc.

I am curious about the basketball situatiom. In this article Steve Abbot was talking about expansion of Memorial Gym, Personally I always liked playing there but when I actually attended a Varsity game from the Stands I always felt like you could fall out of the stands into the gym itself. Not a good facilily. I am curious do you think they will tear down the indoor gymnasium and track and rebuild a really nice Basketball arena. That may be what they decide but I really don`t have any idea. 

https://bangordailynews.com/2013/06/23/sports/off-another-dismal-year-umaine-and-athletic-director-abbot-feeling-pressure-to-perform/

Posted by: BearDown on Thu Oct 15th, 2020 9:18 pm
basketball_guy wrote:

I am curious about the basketball situatiom. In this article Steve Abbot was talking about expansion of Memorial Gym, Personally I always liked playing there but when I actually attended a Varsity game from the Stands I always felt like you could fall out of the stands into the gym itself. Not a good facilily. I am curious do you think they will tear down the indoor gymnasium and track and rebuild a really nice Basketball arena. That may be what they decide but I really don`t have any idea. 

https://bangordailynews.com/2013/06/23/sports/off-another-dismal-year-umaine-and-athletic-director-abbot-feeling-pressure-to-perform/

...and this episode from The Office talks about the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.  And it`s only 13 years old: https://www.reddit.com/r/DunderMifflin/comments/6r19va/whats_the_ratio_of_unicorns_to_leprechauns/

Posted by: basketball_guy on Thu Oct 15th, 2020 10:15 pm
BearDown wrote:

...and this episode from The Office talks about the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.  And it`s only 13 years old: https://www.reddit.com/r/DunderMifflin/comments/6r19va/whats_the_ratio_of_unicorns_to_leprechauns/

• Whatever that is supposed to mean....... Steve Abbot wanted to rebuild the PIT back in 2013. I think he said they needed 10,000,000 dollars to do the expansion. All I was getting at is this idea still viable or will they be tearing down the fieldhouse and build a new basketball arena. I am afraid I was on the last UMAINE basketball team in the Fall of 1978. I remember playing in the PIT but had not spent anytime watching the game from the stands. THE PIT had its time but it has clearly come and gone. 

Its weird cause I believe that was the year Alfond Arena had been completed. The Basketball program has never really been the same since as Hockey was getting all the publicity at least at that time. Now they finally have the money to expand both programs with new facilities. It is clearly about time. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Thu Oct 15th, 2020 10:16 pm

I met to say I was on the last UMAINE JV basketball team in 1978

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Oct 15th, 2020 10:39 pm

Again, if you had any clue, you would know that they aren`t tearing down the Fieldhouse or Memorial Gym. That`s the heart of the whole department. The renovation back in 2014 did that building wonders, with the exception of the Pit, which like the balcony at Alfond, can`t be touched without bringing everything up code.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 7:38 am

I met to say I was on the last UMAINE JV basketball team in 1978

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 7:39 am
dunbar wrote:

Again, if you had any clue, you would know that they aren`t tearing down the Fieldhouse or Memorial Gym. That`s the heart of the whole department. The renovation back in 2014 did that building wonders, with the exception of the Pit, which like the balcony at Alfond, can`t be touched without bringing everything up code.

good lord man give it up

Posted by: parquetfloor on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 11:15 am

Basketball guy, you need to give it up. They are not blowing up the FH nor are they going to try and retrofit the godforsaken pit! Geez man, you need to give that a rest. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Fri Oct 16th, 2020 11:18 am

That was the first I brought it up. Steve Abbot was the one who wanted to do this in 2013. I have no idea what they are going to do. Now that they have the money to do what they need to do that is. I just get a bit sick of the condescending comments here. 

So much for a guy who actually played basketball at UMAINE.