Alfond Money

Posted by: dunbar on Mon Oct 19th, 2020 9:53 am

The one thing I would add to that is a full-sized indoor facility. Doesn`t need full locker room facilities, doesn`t need the weight rooms, just the full field with a roof. That`s probably around $5M.

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Oct 19th, 2020 9:59 am
dunbar wrote:

The one thing I would add to that is a full-sized indoor facility. Doesn`t need full locker room facilities, doesn`t need the weight rooms, just the full field with a roof. That`s probably around $5M.

Good catch & much needed.  Might be incorporated into football outlay but for use by all field teams.

Posted by: fafan on Mon Oct 19th, 2020 12:17 pm

Nice overview MJ. Sort of liked the shared lobby of Quinipiac`s hockey/basketball facility. https://gobobcats.com/facilities/peoples-united-center/6

Can`t wait for the announcement!!!

Posted by: fafan on Wed Nov 11th, 2020 9:54 am

5 weeks today since the announcement of the Alfond donation. Any word on details????

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Nov 11th, 2020 7:14 pm
mainejeff wrote:

Good catch & much needed.  Might be incorporated into football outlay but for use by all field teams.

An Indoor football stadium up in Orono....that sets the table for remaining an FCS football program for the next 20 years. I could be wrong but having an indoor stadium may indeed work, I just don`t know how many more football fans show up for a game. Something else that could work is having a football fan train that comes up from Portland to Orono, of course that would have to be worked out with the State...on s Saturday afternoon. Not sure how that would play out. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Thu Nov 12th, 2020 12:01 pm
fafan wrote:

5 weeks today since the announcement of the Alfond donation. Any word on details????

I`m sure that there are a lot of moving parts with this plan.  Probably establishing priorities, lining up architects, seeking local & state approvals & coming up with a fundraising framework for the other $20 million to be raised by the athletic dept.

Posted by: fafan on Thu Nov 12th, 2020 8:45 pm

Just caught the coaches with Brian Sullivan interviewing AD Ralph and Coach Charlton. Of course the question of the Alfond donation and facilities was asked and Ralph said in a "handful" of weeks the plan will be rolled out to the community. I would hope than means before the end of this year.

The more immediate concern is having the UMaine President allowing hockey and basketball to begin their season. Her decision will be announced Monday. It will be a total disappointment if she chooses not to allow them to play. Coach Charlton was quite proud of the fact his football team went the entire fall practice season without a positve Covid case. I believe hoop and hockey may have the same great record of not having any positive cases. Let them play!!!

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Dec 9th, 2020 10:00 am

I guess that we will not see more clarity on athletic department plans to use this money until sometime next year (2021).  Probably not a bad idea considering where everything is at right now....and how much of a hit that UM athletics may have taken due to the pandemic.

Posted by: hoopsisme on Wed Dec 9th, 2020 4:12 pm

The cost to build will just go up. Here`s to hoping they don`t screw this up!!