Why Fall Sports Will Be Cancelled

Posted by: Carl Parker on Sat Aug 15th, 2020 8:00 am

Sad if we do not have fall sports. Curious if the MPA studied on the baseball leagues that played or the games that went on in Saco area to determine what kind of outbreaks they had. 

Posted by: oscar on Sat Aug 15th, 2020 10:32 am

I really don`t think it matters what the MPA and AD`s studied it will come down to school boards and superintendents. Most districts in southern maine having a hard time figuring out plans to open schools. Everyone is afraid of liability. If they are having a hard time with kids 6 feet apart with masks on how are they going to let kids practice 2 hrs a day 5 days a week then play tackle football for two hrs. 1/2 the schools student are only coming to school twice a week and remote the rest. I think there is a disconnect between all the decision makers. Again just my thoughts. Look at college football. Coaches,players and many AD`s all wanted to play, didn`t matter they aren`t the ones making the final call.

Posted by: OldandGray on Sat Aug 15th, 2020 11:59 am

I`m not a lawyer - but - isn`t that what liability waivers are for.  AAU programs have them, now athletic facilities hosting tournaments have them......Couldn`t a school system or parents group get an iron clad lability waiver parents and players (over 18) could and would sign to remove the school systems from legal responsibility for COVID?   It could also be used for the educational component of the student/athlete equation - going back to school with in facility participation.  Then we would know if teachers and adminstrators are holding this back.

Posted by: openstage on Sun Aug 16th, 2020 7:36 pm

I can tell you for a fact that principals and superintendents have been working around the clock since July to pull off school. And they are in a terrible position.  Sports is the absolute least of their concerns, and the easy answer will be a blanket "no."  Saying yes requires creativity, effort, meetings and $$. If the MPA came out with some definitive plans, not just calendar delays, I`d be more optimisitc.

Unfortunately lost in the Covid whirlwind is how much sports means to kids and towns in general.  For many students, sports (and all extra curricular activities for that matter) are a huge reason they come to school.  It impacts motivation, grades, attendance and school pride.  If you tell kids school is 100% academics and zero fun, you will see quite a few kids drop off the map, stay at home.

Posted by: M SMart on Mon Aug 17th, 2020 7:47 am

The decisions will be made by the MPA and schools will follow their lead.

Posted by: TAallday on Wed Aug 19th, 2020 12:29 pm

and...the MPA has pushed their decision farther down the road. I think it is pretty obvious that the choice is twofold;

1) Call the season off due to the strigent regulations, guidelines, and issues containing the virus among professional and college teams/camps.

2) Go forth and see how it rolls out with the justification that ME has the virus somewhat well controlled and kids need sports for mental/physical health.

Posted by: OldandGray on Wed Aug 19th, 2020 1:50 pm

It feels like the decision on any sport where contact will occur has been made, no season. Now they are just trying to determine do sports like golf, tennis, etc. take a hit as well.   Not sure how you can shut down one fall sport without shutting them all down......wouldn`t seem right.

Posted by: augie on Wed Aug 19th, 2020 2:46 pm

Massachusetts just annouced fall sports are on except for football and cheering. 

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Aug 19th, 2020 3:20 pm

Reading between the lines in today`s PPH article, the final decision will rest with the Governor`s office.  The Governor will do a risk assessment from the CDC perspective, and has the ultimate authority at this juncture to provide Covid19 relief funds for schools to meet the guidelines.  I do not see how any school can commit to spending the beforementioned added costs for sports from existing budgets.  Their budgets are already being slashed because the overall municipal budgets are way off.

As it stands now, only the House has $`s for municipal relief in their next round of Cocid19 relief.  Lastly, from a national perspective, there is growing concern that lung & heart damage may be at risk long term for kids who get Covid19.  The most positive information is Maine`s positive conversion % is below 1%.  Reducing overall risk.   

Posted by: M SMart on Thu Aug 20th, 2020 8:23 pm

I am hearing an announcement late next week and the season will be canceled. Most liekly golf may be a go, after that softball and baseball next spring. I hope this is not accurate.