Why Fall Sports Will Be Cancelled

Posted by: goal line on Fri Aug 21st, 2020 12:11 pm

As we speak,Utah has already started playing football and over 30 more states plan to! Another dozen or so plan to play this winter/spring as their weather allows them to. Let`s follow their lead!

Posted by: TAallday on Sat Aug 22nd, 2020 4:49 pm

If we cancel the season, I really worry that AAU will invade football in Maine and destroy our already fragile system. This externality needs to be considered seriously.

If Maine put together an AAU football program to compete in New England, it would destroy our high school programs. 

Posted by: M SMart on Mon Aug 24th, 2020 1:23 pm

Out of curiosity, how many states are having fall sports and how many are not?

Posted by: rasputin on Tue Aug 25th, 2020 12:30 pm

found this online

This makes Utah`s situation unique. It is the first state playing high school football in a pandemic-stricken America where 15 states — California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Vermont, Virginia and Washington — have decided not to play this fall, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations.

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Thu Aug 27th, 2020 5:18 am

vote on by MPA Interscholastic Management committee for final approval tomorrow.

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Fri Aug 28th, 2020 5:21 am

MPA approves plan for fall high school sports in Maine

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Fri Aug 28th, 2020 5:32 am

Replay:  live stream of the MPA Emergency Board meeting

Posted by: DepatsyRules on Fri Aug 28th, 2020 12:22 pm

If the decision is based on science and numbers and facts with a green light from the Medical Committee then Maine should have all fall sports.

If the decision is made about what ifs and who doesn`t think its right then its a political decision.

Posted by: Carl Parker on Fri Aug 28th, 2020 12:30 pm

Hopefully it is a medical decision. I am nervous about the iinput the of the DHHS commissioner. Her comments scare me.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri Aug 28th, 2020 2:05 pm

I was fortunate working with Dr. Heinz on Concussion injuries and female ACL high rate of tears.  Smartest doctor with athletes I have met.  His green light says they should be played.  He is a science and research guru.  He would never say this, but my experience says he is in fact the smartest person in the room.

Fingers crossed.