Maine football 2020-2021

Posted by: fafan on Tue May 4th, 2021 12:01 pm
dunbar wrote:

Root for Delaware and James Madison this weekend.

The longer Maine`s first two opponents play, the better off we`ll be. We`re seeing the adverse effects of long playoff runs and shortened offseasons all across sports right now.

Watched most of the games this weekend, JMU looked very good, Delaware`s QB played alot of the game with one arm, tough kid. I was rooting for both CAA teams but little did I know that by them continuing to win that will help our chances in the fall. Wink

The eventual champion will be whoever wins the SamHouston-JMU game.

Posted by: dunbar on Tue May 4th, 2021 7:44 pm

Liam Dobson drafted 3rd overall by Winnipeg in the CFL draft. Stevens expected to go tonight as well.

The blow of these two leaving the program are lessened a lot more if they do in fact go the pro route. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue May 4th, 2021 10:01 pm

2021 roster is updated on the website.

Vast majority of players returning. Miller, Fagnano, St Lot, Joseph, Otero and Grad NT Austin Chambers, Grad Kicker Jonny Messina & Grad Long Snapper Bryce Colie. All young QBs, RBs & WRs return. 

Looks like we lost Ori who had the gruesome injury this spring along with Spring Season opt out Eric Robertson and Freshman TE John Benson. I may have missed a few others.

Notes: LB is an area of concern. Otero is a multi-year starter and very solid tackler. I look for Xavier Nurse to step up and fill one open spot. Probably the Rover spot. Darius McKenzie and Tyshawn Stewart would be an ideal candidates for Stevens vacated MLB spot as a bigger bodied thumper inside. Keep an eye on Rhakim Willams the former UConn Husky who has mostly seen action on special teams.

DLine- Need more production from the End position. Manns showed some flashes at times in the Spring. Need more from Wiley. Smith-Cobb is one to watch. A very good athlete who has added some weight.  On the interior the staff is excited about John Costanza who got some rotation work this spring. He could be the next interior pressure guy Maine needs. 

Secondary- Tremendous depth and experience. St Lot has got to play somewhere. Could he add 20 lbs and move to backer? Possibly? Joseph is a very talented cover corner. Swann and Speight played very well in their stead. Riobe and Ambush are 2 very talented safeties. Bazzie played well at SS. He can hit and tackle. Donnell Henriquez did a nice job in sub packages. Rich Carr is a playmaker probably best suited for slot corner. I like his leadership.  I haven`t even mentioned some of the other young guys who flashed on special teams.

special teams- should be very solid. Messina is a reliable and accurate kicker. David Gelb improved as a punter. Kickoffs are the only area of concern here. Brian Cooey needs to improve his distance. The coverage units- team speed and tackling is very good. Brock is a dangerous kick returner. I would like to see Devin Young get a shot at the PR job.

Speaking of Devin Young...he will take a lot of pressure off Miller when he makes his return. He`s a game breaker and big YAC guy. You can move him around and put him in the backfield. Young and Brock along with Miller & Bowman give Fagnano the weapons he needs to be successful. Zavier Scott is another versatile guy who was just finding his way in the offense when the season was canceled. Watch out for him. There is ample depth at this position with Hennie, Monios, Ewing, Moss and Lamson who all have ability.

Running Back- I really like Brock. He showed he`s more than a 3rd down back. As he finds the weight room I think his role continues to expand. Curtis Murray is very solid. I thought maybe he could`ve been used more. Barnwell and Banks also had some moments. I`d like to see maybe 2 guys emerge and get the majority of run. Rotating 4 no one can get in a rhythm. 

Posted by: BlackBearDrumline on Wed May 5th, 2021 10:13 am
Blind Zebras wrote:

2021 roster is updated on the website.

Vast majority of players returning. Miller, Fagnano, St Lot, Joseph, Otero and Grad NT Austin Chambers, Grad Kicker Jonny Messina & Grad Long Snapper Bryce Colie. All young QBs, RBs & WRs return. 

Looks like we lost Ori who had the gruesome injury this spring along with Spring Season opt out Eric Robertson and Freshman TE John Benson. I may have missed a few others.

Notes: LB is an area of concern. Otero is a multi-year starter and very solid tackler. I look for Xavier Nurse to step up and fill one open spot. Probably the Rover spot. Darius McKenzie and Tyshawn Stewart would be an ideal candidates for Stevens vacated MLB spot as a bigger bodied thumper inside. Keep an eye on Rhakim Willams the former UConn Husky who has mostly seen action on special teams.

DLine- Need more production from the End position. Manns showed some flashes at times in the Spring. Need more from Wiley. Smith-Cobb is one to watch. A very good athlete who has added some weight.  On the interior the staff is excited about John Costanza who got some rotation work this spring. He could be the next interior pressure guy Maine needs. 

Secondary- Tremendous depth and experience. St Lot has got to play somewhere. Could he add 20 lbs and move to backer? Possibly? Joseph is a very talented cover corner. Swann and Speight played very well in their stead. Riobe and Ambush are 2 very talented safeties. Bazzie played well at SS. He can hit and tackle. Donnell Henriquez did a nice job in sub packages. Rich Carr is a playmaker probably best suited for slot corner. I like his leadership.  I haven`t even mentioned some of the other young guys who flashed on special teams.

special teams- should be very solid. Messina is a reliable and accurate kicker. David Gelb improved as a punter. Kickoffs are the only area of concern here. Brian Cooey needs to improve his distance. The coverage units- team speed and tackling is very good. Brock is a dangerous kick returner. I would like to see Devin Young get a shot at the PR job.

Speaking of Devin Young...he will take a lot of pressure off Miller when he makes his return. He`s a game breaker and big YAC guy. You can move him around and put him in the backfield. Young and Brock along with Miller & Bowman give Fagnano the weapons he needs to be successful. Zavier Scott is another versatile guy who was just finding his way in the offense when the season was canceled. Watch out for him. There is ample depth at this position with Hennie, Monios, Ewing, Moss and Lamson who all have ability.

Running Back- I really like Brock. He showed he`s more than a 3rd down back. As he finds the weight room I think his role continues to expand. Curtis Murray is very solid. I thought maybe he could`ve been used more. Barnwell and Banks also had some moments. I`d like to see maybe 2 guys emerge and get the majority of run. Rotating 4 no one can get in a rhythm. 

Great write-up! 

It also appears two walk-ons from Maine have left––Damon Osmond and Grant Hartley.

We also lost the three medical grey-shirts, Jaron Grayer, Skylar Bowman, and Michael Laverriere. Not a huge surprise as they`ve all likely graduated and wanted to move on. In any case we`ve lost far fewer players than some other CAA programs, which bodes well for the fall.

I agree that our secondary is very strong, and it could be savvy to convert a guy to ROVER. In the Villanova game notes the Navy transfer Vincent Thomas was listed as backup LB in the two-deep so maybe they`re already planning on it?

Posted by: fafan on Wed May 5th, 2021 11:41 am

Great update BZ on who is returning. Devin Young coming back is huge, really needed that playmaker and like you mentioned he is so versatile he can play WR as it was obvious we needed help at WR as teams learned real quick to double team Andre.

Anyone heard anything on Kolin Demens being ready for some time at LB? As the #2 recruit in 2019 one would think he would be ready for action.

Overall I think we did well with the returning players knowing how easy it is to transfer. During the Cosgrove era the one big positive was that the program was a family and players were committed to it hopefully that culture is not lost. I like our chances of making the playoffs in 2021, it won`t be easy but the framework is there for a successful year.

Posted by: BearDown on Thu May 6th, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks for the write-up BZ!

Posted by: BearDown on Thu May 6th, 2021 1:50 pm

Fafan, I could not feel more differently about our teams playoff chances. We`re staring down the barrel of a 1-3 start to the season, a late season FBS game, and several tough conference matchups in between. 7-4 likely won`t get us in the playoffs and I`m having a tough time figuring how we even get to 5 wins. I mean, we start 1-3 and lose to UMass which gets us to 1-4. Do you think the team we saw this past Spring can go 4-2 against Elon, WM, Albany, RI, Stony Brook, and UNH? If you`re talking playoffs then we`d have to win all of them AT LEAST just to be 7-4. This team hasn`t demonstrated anything to make me believe we`re capable of that yet. 

Posted by: dunbar on Thu May 6th, 2021 3:56 pm
BearDown wrote:

Fafan, I could not feel more differently about our teams playoff chances. We`re staring down the barrel of a 1-3 start to the season, a late season FBS game, and several tough conference matchups in between. 7-4 likely won`t get us in the playoffs and I`m having a tough time figuring how we even get to 5 wins. I mean, we start 1-3 and lose to UMass which gets us to 1-4. Do you think the team we saw this past Spring can go 4-2 against Elon, WM, Albany, RI, Stony Brook, and UNH? If you`re talking playoffs then we`d have to win all of them AT LEAST just to be 7-4. This team hasn`t demonstrated anything to make me believe we`re capable of that yet. 

A 7-4 team with this schedule is in. No doubts. They have to steal one against Delaware or James Madison (probably the home opener with UD) to make it happen though. 

Posted by: BearDown on Thu May 6th, 2021 10:49 pm

No doubt?! I feel like some of the posters here don`t really understand the landscape of College Football in general right now. We had 6 CAA teams make it in 2018 and only one team (Maine) won a game that wasn`t vs. another CAA team (JMU vs Delaware). 7-4 teams, especially CAA, will be more scrutinized -however unfairly, for some time to come. Like I said, it`s highly unlikely 7-4 gets this Maine team in the playoffs. To say "no doubt" is wholly unrealistic. To your point, Maine would HAVE to beat Delaware and/or JMU. Maine had just over 100 yards of offense against Delaware a month ago. They tee up against them in less than 4 months without their All American Captain on Defense -I just don`t see the outcome being so drastically different at this point that I could predict Maine winning that game. And if you`re looking at the schedule saying "Well, we have 2 winnable FBS games...winning those would get us in!" Sure, they would help. But our 2 FBS wins  in the last 8 years were by 2 of the best Maine teams we`ve ever had and they were vs very bad FBS teams. This Maine team is NOT one of those teams.

We`ll see...Maine comes out of the gate 2-2 or 3-1 we`ll all be singing a different tune. But given what we just saw this Spring I just don`t see how that`s reasonably possible.