Maine football 2020-2021

Posted by: fafan on Fri Oct 2nd, 2020 11:53 am
mainejeff wrote:

Maine operates bare bones anyway....and social distancing at Maine will mean the same crowd (3K) spaced out. Wink

Not sure if you attend Maine football games but if you did you would know attendance was 6,378 for 2019 and 7,094 for 2018 a far cry from 3k. 

The Athletic department really deserves credit for increasing the game day experience for UMaine football and thus the increase in attendance in the past couple of years. Everything from bringing in outside food vendors to free tailgating for season ticket holders. They have listened to their fans and they responded, nice job UMaineSmile

Posted by: parquetfloor on Sat Oct 3rd, 2020 3:58 pm
UMaineSuperfan wrote:

If you don`t host a season when you could have, you might as well pack the whole thing up...I think you`d see a massive drop off in quality for the team after that.

Quite possibly. And I totally get that. Better question right now...can people even come into Maine right now without a mandatory 14 day quarantine? 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Oct 19th, 2020 3:07 pm

I had no idea that other teams had already opted out of spring football. From the article:

"Abilene Christian, Campbell, Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Houston Baptist, Old Dominion, Sacramento State and Stephen F. Austin have all opted out of a potential spring football season in 2021."

Posted by: fafan on Mon Oct 19th, 2020 3:49 pm
parquetfloor wrote:

I had no idea that other teams had already opted out of spring football. From the article:

"Abilene Christian, Campbell, Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Houston Baptist, Old Dominion, Sacramento State and Stephen F. Austin have all opted out of a potential spring football season in 2021."

That`s because they are all playing football now except Sacremento State so they would never play spring football.

What makes no sense about Towson`s decision not to play spring ball was b/c the Coach said 75% of his players did not want Spring Ball to not allow them to play next fall. The NCAA has granted all atheletes another year to play if they chose to do so.Wink

Posted by: thebam on Tue Oct 20th, 2020 7:55 am

What would have been cool, if the NCAA and CAA would sign off, would be play everyone in your division. The teams with the best records in each division play each other for the auto bid. Would be a good format going forward as well. I don`t think any FCS leagues have a championship game. Could be groundbreaking for , arguably?, the country`s best league.

Posted by: dunbar on Tue Oct 20th, 2020 7:58 am
thebam wrote:

What would have been cool, if the NCAA and CAA would sign off, would be play everyone in your division. The teams with the best records in each division play each other for the auto bid. Would be a good format going forward as well. I don`t think any FCS leagues have a championship game. Could be groundbreaking for , arguably?, the country`s best league.

Do what the Big Ten is doing and play the last week as #1 vs. #1, #2 vs. #2, etc. 

Posted by: thebam on Tue Oct 20th, 2020 11:11 am
dunbar wrote:

Do what the Big Ten is doing and play the last week as #1 vs. #1, #2 vs. #2, etc. 

That would also work. Would make for competitive games all around, good or bad. 

Posted by: MBR on Fri Oct 30th, 2020 5:32 am