Maine football 2020-2021

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Fri May 7th, 2021 6:11 am

I`m an eternal optimist when it comes to Maine Football. That said, they need to come out flying in the season opener against the Blue Hens and win that game. JMU at Harrisonburg is a tall order to say the least. If they come out of the first 4 at 2-2 they are poised for a good season. Maine should beat UMass and UNH in my opinion, to close out the season. They beat UMass in 2013 and played them tight at Fenway a few years back. UNH doesn`t look like a very good football team.  The middle of the schedule is all very winnable. URI is actually the scariest team on there. Elon & Bill & Mary at home should be wins. Stony Brook & Albany aren`t terrible, but I don`t see either team scoring enough to keep up with Maine. Especially if Fagnano gets hot. Devin Young and Brock on the field together opens up the playbook and takes bracket coverage away from Miller. If teams try to bracket him, they will be burned badly. I don`t see the average & lower tier CAA teams throwing the ball on Maine`s secondary. 7-4 is totally realistic. The key to the season is the Maine front 7. If the young guys tackle well and Maine finds a way to pressure the QB, I like our chances. There may be some shoot outs this fall. I think teams will struggle to stop Maine`s offense.

Posted by: mainejeff on Fri May 7th, 2021 6:37 am

And try to have less than 100 yards in penalties per game.....

Posted by: fafan on Fri May 7th, 2021 7:50 am

Preseason predictions are the most difficult thing ever. No one saw the great 2018 season but I did have us beating UNH to start it off for what that is worth. Then everyone had us top 10 in 2019 and that was not pretty at all. I just think the potential is there for a good year but realize it may be one of the most difficult schedules as well. The spring had 2 good games and 2 terrible games but the playoffs are showing us just how good JMU and Delaware are. Have no idea where those teams will be with graduation and transfers, let`s hope a lot.

As good as Stevens was he has not had any action on the transfer portal and Dobson going to N.Texas state shows you that the grass isn`t always greener on the other side. Maines past history has always been a strong unity of team and I really think they will make out better than most teams in this era of leaving your team and not losing any eligibility. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Fri May 7th, 2021 10:04 am

I don`t follow Maine football nearly as close as all of you guys do, but I have to think this spring season leading into the fall is going to have some affect on the teams, especially the ones playing deep into the postseason right? I know some made light of dunbar`s comment earlier (maybe another thread?) but man, if they are playing tomorrow and then again next week, it is actually crazy close to when they have to start preparing for the fall. 

I think this spring season only makes it that much tougher to predict the upcoming fall season IMO. There will be a lot of unknowns, especially how mentally and physically prepared the teams will be. 3 months may seem like a long time but it really isn`t when it comes to recovering from a few months of football.

Posted by: BearDown on Fri May 7th, 2021 10:08 am

Anyone know the timeline this spring/summer for the new turf installation?

Posted by: dunbar on Fri May 7th, 2021 10:57 am
BearDown wrote:

Anyone know the timeline this spring/summer for the new turf installation?

Starts week of June 7. Plans on being done around the Fourth of July. Screws with my personal training routine (I do stadium stairs and intervals on the track/turf at least twice a week) but happy things will be done once student-athlete summer workouts ramp up.

Posted by: BearDown on Fri May 7th, 2021 11:14 am

Booyah! That`s encouraging to hear! So that raises the question -when do they move the stands in from the visitor side? Given that the facilities project encompasses 10 years I would expect that portion of the project to come at the EOL for the turf being laid down this Summer. That would put us around 8-10 years until the stadium revamp. Does that sound right? I`m thrilled about the facilities upgrades but selfishly the one I really want to see is the football stadium being renovated and the stands moved in -haha. Moving the stands should help improve the gameday atmosphere.

Posted by: dunbar on Fri May 7th, 2021 11:22 am
BearDown wrote:

Booyah! That`s encouraging to hear! So that raises the question -when do they move the stands in from the visitor side? Given that the facilities project encompasses 10 years I would expect that portion of the project to come at the EOL for the turf being laid down this Summer. That would put us around 8-10 years until the stadium revamp. Does that sound right? I`m thrilled about the facilities upgrades but selfishly the one I really want to see is the football stadium being renovated and the stands moved in -haha. Moving the stands should help improve the gameday atmosphere.

The turf being installed is being done in a way where the field can be moved. I`d assume that whenever the indoor track is done is when the track will go and the East (students aren`t visitors) grandstand would be shifted then. Last I knew, things were still out for RFQ for designers and engineers. 

Posted by: BearDown on Fri May 7th, 2021 11:35 am

Dunbar, you seem to have the inside intel about the improvements -are there any other projects to reference where the field has been moved like this before? I`m assuming Maine isn`t making precedent. I`d like to find out more about it. No offense to my alma mater but I`ve never found Maine to be that forward thinking. I love to hear they`ve future proofed the project already -that`s incredibly encouraging!