Coaching Openings

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri May 15th, 2020 1:08 pm

I agree on Traip on the upswing.  St. Dom`s is open for sure.  They went 14-5 and return 9 of 12.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Fri May 15th, 2020 1:12 pm

Ignore.  My post should be on the girls side.

Posted by: MJ123 on Fri May 15th, 2020 8:56 pm

Cape

Posted by: foresports on Fri May 15th, 2020 9:45 pm

Yes, Jim Ray has stepped down at Cape Elizabeth after 26 years, 350 wins and five regional titles.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/05/15/longtime-cape-boys-basketball-coach-steps-down/

Posted by: Archer Bunker on Fri May 15th, 2020 10:53 pm
foresports wrote:

Yes, Jim Ray has stepped down at Cape Elizabeth after 26 years, 350 wins and five regional titles.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/05/15/longtime-cape-boys-basketball-coach-steps-down/

Definetly one of the best coaches around. He was a perfect fit for Cape. He`ll be hard to replace.

AB

Posted by: MBR on Sat May 16th, 2020 5:47 am

Big news for sure !!  

Posted by: MBR on Sat May 16th, 2020 6:32 am

......Theo Bowe, a 2011 graduate who, along with his former coach, was one of the finest players to ever put on a Cape uniform, said Ray’s influence served him well long after his playing days concluded.

“Playing for Coach Ray was an incredibly valuable experience for developing basketball skills, but more so for developing life skills,” said Bowe, who is about to graduate from Harvard Medical School and begin a medical residency in Philadelphia. “He was an expert in teaching young people to take responsibility for their actions, to develop a work ethic and to work well as a member of a team. While winning was always the goal, Coach Ray was clear that it was to be done the right way, with preparation, dedication and teamwork. The lessons I learned and skills I gained playing for Coach Ray have served me very well beyond the court.”

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Sat May 16th, 2020 4:40 pm

I got to play with him a bit in the JC Best league.  Coach Ray and player Ray were hard nosed, give it all.  One of the best to ever coach in Maine.  He never gave in to parent pressures and stayed true to who he was.  I do not know how his practices were, but he was a master on in-game changes and always got something off his timeouts.  HOF coach in my book.

Posted by: RedRose on Mon May 18th, 2020 10:03 pm

Remember years ago when the Superindenet tried to fire Ray? The AD resisted, most of the community resisted, fellow coaches came to his defense as did former players. J Ray stayed and soon the Super was gone. The issue generated hundreds of replies on MBR... maybe the most ever? Now he goes out on his own terms and hardly a comment.