Umaine men`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: SMTC on Sat Feb 13th, 2021 7:46 am

So did I miss something ....I thought the Umaine mens team was supposed to start back up after the 4th? It seems like just the women did?

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sat Feb 13th, 2021 10:30 am

Just announced on UMaine website they have opted out of the rest of the season.

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 7:51 pm

#1 UMBC loses to #4 Hartford

#2 Vermont loses to #6 UMass-Lowell

Hartford vs. UMass-Lowell for the AE Championship

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Sat Mar 6th, 2021 8:04 pm

Anything is possible! Maine split with Hartford & UMass Lowell last year. Nice to see someone besides Vermont representing the AE this year.

Posted by: dunbar on Sun Mar 7th, 2021 9:06 am
mainejeff wrote:

#1 UMBC loses to #4 Hartford

#2 Vermont loses to #6 UMass-Lowell

Hartford vs. UMass-Lowell for the AE Championship

This is bittersweet. I love having new blood represent the league but obvious that we wish it was Maine. If anything, it shows that it is possible (maybe). 

This will likely result in the AE champ in the First Four. That could actually be a financial benefit for the league and its schools, because a First Four win counts the same in revenue distribution as a win in any other round. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Mar 8th, 2021 9:01 am

Hartford actually beat Vermont and Lowell beat UMBC, but the point is still there...no Vermont in the title game.

Posted by: mario_spaghettio on Tue Mar 9th, 2021 8:34 pm

So can we fire Barron now or should we wait for another lost season or 2?  Why are they even paying this jerk? 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Tue Mar 9th, 2021 10:46 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

Woodward and Leichner were very good recruiters.Together they brought in many talented players, including Euro`s, transfers and juco players. They were competitive many seasons based on sheer talent alone. When Leichner left the second time, the program really floundered. Leichner was their development coach and spent a ton of time with the big guys. The problem during that era was lack of adaptability. TW was a terrible in-game coach. Very scripted play selection and he really struggled to find counters for the other team`s method of attack.

Walsh could also recruit, but he was extremely abrasive and a terrible communicator. He Believed that being the toughest, hardest playing and most unrelenting would lead to a winning culture.  He beat his players into the ground in practice causing several overuse injury issues, concussions and had issues with infighting. His second recruiting class with Eke, Vann, Harewood etc would have been a program changer, sadly they all transferred.

Tons of damage was done when Walsh left. He did have a few core guys who were extremely loyal to him and all of them ended up leaving after Barron`s first season, with the exceptions of Fleming & Antoms.

Barron has repaired some of that wreckage by bringing in high character players who are serious students and good citizens. I commend him for trying to foster a sense of family within the program. He`s trying to bring in kids to a situation where they develop relationships with their teammates and coaches and will want to stay for 4 years.  Right now still searching for 1 or 2 cornerstone recruits that he can build the program on.

I admit to be rooting for Alabama this year in the SEC. We have had a great year. Maine had a great year in respect to finally going to be able to upgrade facilities and I believe building this new arena will make a big difference. Not sure what the thinking is with the President and AD at this point. I can appreciate the fact that Covid affected their basketball season, and I can also appreciate the fact that it may be four more years before the new facility is completed. Even if they fire Barron and were to bring in someone else it would still mean trying to recruit to Orono knowing a new facility won`t be built for four years. So what do they do fire Barron and bring in someone else who also to wait four years for a new facility to be completed. That is a very tough question to answer. I would say if they have not fired Barron by now that they intend to give him at least another year, but I expect we will be right back here again this time next year asking why Maine is still near the cellar in the America East Conference. Tough questions need to be asked and sounds to me like they have decided to kick the can down the road for another year.