Umaine men`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 7:30 am

The yearly turover on the team is the big issue right now.  How much of that can be contributed to Barron or other circumstances is up for debate.  I think that Barron can coach......but how well can he relate to players, recruit better talent and grow the program?  

As you said basketball guy.....the new facility will not be completed for years.  Ralph probably has a plan in his own mind regarding Barron and the possibility of a new coach down the road.  He has some flexibility right now due to COVID (built in excuse to extend Barron)....but I guarantee you that he does not want this type of futility to contnue into the few facility.  It will be an interesting few years coming up....

Posted by: fafan on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 8:23 am
mainejeff wrote:

The yearly turover on the team is the big issue right now.  How much of that can be contributed to Barron or other circumstances is up for debate.  I think that Barron can coach......but how well can he relate to players, recruit better talent and grow the program?  

As you said basketball guy.....the new facility will not be completed for years.  Ralph probably has a plan in his own mind regarding Barron and the possibility of a new coach down the road.  He has some flexibility right now due to COVID (built in excuse to extend Barron)....but I guarantee you that he does not want this type of futility to contnue into the few facility.  It will be an interesting few years coming up....

MJ is spot on about his coaching ability but perhaps his inability to relate to players. 

This was obvious the year he had the tremendous recruiting class with international players on the women`s team and then 3/4 of them left Maine and not to mention Parise left the team as well.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 9:34 am
mainejeff wrote:

The yearly turover on the team is the big issue right now.  How much of that can be contributed to Barron or other circumstances is up for debate.  I think that Barron can coach......but how well can he relate to players, recruit better talent and grow the program?  

As you said basketball guy.....the new facility will not be completed for years.  Ralph probably has a plan in his own mind regarding Barron and the possibility of a new coach down the road.  He has some flexibility right now due to COVID (built in excuse to extend Barron)....but I guarantee you that he does not want this type of futility to contnue into the few facility.  It will be an interesting few years coming up....

I would say Ken Ralph has done an outstanding job as the Athletic Director. I did not say that when they first hired him after I read some of the Comments about him from Colorado. But I was wrong about him. 



I think Ken Ralph has a very serious dilemma on his hands right now because if a new facility won`t be built for four years and Covid-19 I don`t think he can make a Coaching change right now as the President of UMO was in favor of shutting down the season. So Barron does have the ear of the President as well as he had success as the Womens Coach. 



I guess you wait for another year. If Barron does turn it around next season then maybe you keep him but his recruiting is no where close where it needs to be for a Division 1 Mens program.



That to me is the bottom line. 

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 1:06 pm

mainejeff and basketball guy state the situation very well.  My only other thought is what is Coach`s role expectations in fundraising.  I believe they must raise $20 million to get the $90 million.  If so Barron has to start winning for alumni to give or Barron must do one heckava job selling himself as the right Coach for the future.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 1:15 pm
ExpoEddie wrote:

mainejeff and basketball guy state the situation very well.  My only other thought is what is Coach`s role expectations in fundraising.  I believe they must raise $20 million to get the $90 million.  If so Barron has to start winning for alumni to give or Barron must do one heckava job selling himself as the right Coach for the future.

The athletic department has to raise $20 million, not Barron. I would think a change in leadership of the hockey program would do more to raise those funds than the men`s basketball program, which has never ever been to the NCAA Tournament. While the basketball arena is the "crown jewel" in the facility improvements, all sports are going to be helped with those Alfond funds. All that said, I think Barron is pretty good at the fundraising thing with his ability to talk and relate to donors so he will be fine.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 8:43 pm

 Coach Barron has 2 years left on his initial contract.  I personally don`t think he is going anywhere anytime soon. I was concerned at first with the announcement of a slew of transfers. However, after digesting that and seeing which players are deciding to leave (little used players, walk ons & seniors who are scheduled to graduate) I`m not as concerned.  I`m interested to see where the coaching staff goes from here? They have a couple of nice pieces to start with but it is very late in the recruiting game. The best route they can go in the short term is add 3 or so grad transfers and some junior college players.  

Gallagher did this at Hartford 2 years ago and it not only saved his job, it jump started the program and led them to 2 straight appearances in the AE title game (although the game was canceled in 2020).

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 8:56 pm

So does anyone know what the deal is/was with M. Fleming?  He must have been seriously injured if he couldn`t play a minute in a season where you keep your full eligibility?  Will he ever contribute at Maine?  At this rate he will be a 25 year old freshman.....

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Wed Mar 10th, 2021 10:27 pm

Fleming injured his back in the preseason. You`d almost rather have an ACL tear than a serious back injury. Hopefully he can get back on the court at some point.

Posted by: mainejeff on Thu Mar 11th, 2021 7:08 am
Blind Zebras wrote:

Fleming injured his back in the preseason. You`d almost rather have an ACL tear than a serious back injury. Hopefully he can get back on the court at some point.

Hopefully....